Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times

Advertisements

I didn't say that people never drank socially, I said that people who have one beer or glass of wine on occasion weren't drinkers. Drinkers drink, a lot. A person who drinks on occasion can't down 4 or 5 beers at a gathering without feeling ill. It's not a pleasure. If someone is drinking that much and says they are a "social" drinker, or an occasional drinker they are rare. Just like the occasional smoker, if they have one cig. out that night I can see that but if they are puffing away all night and tell me they don't really smoke I will think that is rare.
My point being, an occasional drinker, a few a year, isn't likely to think about letting their kids drink at home or their friends for that matter. But, a weekend, or daily drinker might. Same with everything else because drinking is then the parents lifestyle, not an occasional thing.
I'm really surprised you all don't understand this. I think to myself, you have to know the difference, right? But, maybe you don't. I guess I have a very mixed group of friends.
I, am what I'd call someone who doesn't really drink, even though I might have a glass of wine or a beer on some occasion about 3 times a year. That isn't a drinker, I could never have more than one without feeling it to the point of sitting down. I don't drink for fun, I don't drink enough to have fun or for it to be relaxing. It isn't a lifestyle for me.
My children don't see beers or wine weekly at my home, therefore they don't know much about it.
I hope this clears it up.
If you have 12lvers at home then your kids probably more likely to ask to try it. This is what I've observed with my friends.
The kids that see it daily get use to it as a lifestyle. That's my point. Just like smokers run the risk that their kids are more likely to be comfortable with cigs.

Why would a child need to try something out that would only come up on occasion later in life. They wouldn't IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think Poppy is a "she" and the person who responded to her said "my family. . . so I don't agree with that". As if one family's experience is the gold standard.
Poppy gave HER personal view on what she has seen and i have given mine. How pray tell is that any different might i ask?

Old 03-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I didn't say that people never drank socially, I said that people who have one beer or glass of wine on occasion weren't drinkers. Drinkers drink, a lot. A person who drinks on occasion can't down 4 or 5 beers at a gathering without feeling ill. It's not a pleasure. If someone is drinking that much and says they are a "social" drinker, or an occasional drinker they are rare. Just like the occasional smoker, if they have one cig. out that night I can see that but if they are puffing away all night and tell me they don't really smoke I will think that is rare.
My point being, an occasional drinker, a few a year, isn't likely to think about letting their kids drink at home or their friends for that matter. But, a weekend, or daily drinker might. Same with everything else because drinking is then the parents lifestyle, not an occasional thing.
I'm really surprised you all don't understand this. I think to myself, you have to know the difference, right? But, maybe you don't. I guess I have a very mixed group of friends.
I, am what I'd call someone who doesn't really drink, even though I might have a glass of wine or a beer on some occasion about 3 times a year. That isn't a drinker, I could never have more than one without feeling it to the point of sitting down. I don't drink for fun, I don't drink enough to have fun or for it to be relaxing. It isn't a lifestyle for me.
My children don't see beers or wine weekly at my home, therefore they don't know much about it.
If you have 12lvers at home then your kids probably more likely to ask to try it. Don't ya think?
The kids that see it daily get use to it as a lifestyle. That's my point. Just like smokers run the risk that their kids are more likely to be comfortable with cigs.
Ah okay i got you

Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Poppy gave HER personal view on what she has seen and i have given mine. How pray tell is that any different might i ask?
Poppy posted a bunch of links in post #27. You have posted none to support anything you've said, you just say you disagree with those that you don't like.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Poppy posted a bunch of links in post #27. You have posted none to support anything you've said, you just say you disagree with those that you don't like.
Because as i said it's a complex issue you can't prove based on a handful of studies. I mean for example we are fairly strict in our alcohol consumption laws in regards to minors and our deaths related to it are fairly high. But france is far more lax and has a higher death rate in regards to it. However italy is also lax and has a much lower death rate. Compare Global Drinking Habits with the World Health Organization Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2011. The point is a few studies coming out don't prove that not having booze in the house ever is going to reduce future drinking at all. Or that parental attitudes bordering on teetoling will carry on post living with mom and dad. I have seen abuse coming from both sets of kids. The kids coming from ultra hippy no rules parents, and the kids coming from the iron jawed conservative non drinking parents. And both sets of kids had plenty of alcohol abusers coming from their ranks.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 03-17-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Plus i never really saw those links and was not responding to that post anyway. Further study though shows i can't give them much credence since one site is the sacramento county sheriffs department, and the other 2 are addiction support websites. Also they don't give anything to back their points up other then throw up bulleted points on alcoholism.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Let us be real shall we--how many people do you really know who only drink now and then socially?
I know me. And other people in my family. And friends.

Not everyone who drinks alcohol drinks all the time. I have a friend who lives in another state but comes to mine to visit her mother. When she's here every other month or so, we go out to dinner, then drop off her 89-year-old mom and go out and drink and talk for a few hours. Sometimes I may not drink again until she comes around again. It depends upon what I'm doing, but I don't drink every week or every weekend.

Now 25 years ago, I would have thought the way you are because I WAS a person who drank all the time and so was everyone else I knew.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
How many of you have heard of this strategy? Father says to his son before sending him off to Junior High, "Son, if you ever get to thinking that you want to try drugs or alcohol, come to me first and we'll find you some".

Logic: "I'd rather him get it from me where he can experiment in a safe place" and/or "I'll make him take so much, he gets sick and doesn't ever want to mess with it again."

Have you ever heard of this, or is it just Southern wisdom?

In my opinion it is more like all across the world stupidity and it is not limited to Southern Stupidity.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
If you have 12lvers at home then your kids probably more likely to ask to try it. This is what I've observed with my friends.

Why would a child need to try something out that would only come up on occasion later in life. They wouldn't IMO.
OK, then ignore my last post. I thought you were saying the opposite--that you drank regularly and so thought everyone did.

But I am a person who can go out occasionally and drink four or five beers. I'm not going to get sick. And I may not drink four or five beers again for a while.

I have known two or three people who can smoke cigarettes on occasion. It's very strange, and it's very unusual. I quit, and sometimes I think it would be nice to have one, but if I did, I'd be right back into it full-time.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
sheena's got a very good point here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Any substance can be abused. Including food.
If I dare to take it there... Ehh, why not? It's my thread

What is it, exactly, that separates giving your kid McDonald's french fries at the age of 2 or 3 from giving your teenager a sip of wine? Especially considering the obesity epidemic in this quaint little, judgemental nation of ours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting