Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times

Advertisements

I have so many questions lately. Lots of changes this year in my daughter who is 11. Okay, so the latest trend amongst my daughter and her friends is making sexual jokes, the kind I was into when I was in college, not fifth grade. Here are some examples: One kid will say, "It was so big (innocently), and then others will respond, "How big was it?" Another time, her friend told a boy who was being silly to, "go to bed". He looked at her strangely, and she said, "EWWWWW. I don't want to go to bed WITH you!!". That's just an example, but there is ton's of this kind of stuff. My daughter even does this at home with me. I said something about something being soft and warm. And she laughed hysterically and she said, "Ooooh, soft and warm". Ugh. Do you see this with kids this age too? Please say yes I don't remember talking like this at their age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Sorry...I can't say yes....Personally I'd try and have some kind of a talk with my youngster....explain that this kind of joking around is unacceptable...especially in your home...tell her it's very silly, and if she must talk like that...don't do it around you, or your friends as it's embarrassing for you....It's hardly something she will keep us as she matures...just some goofy fad she's going along with(same for her friends) so that she can be in good stead with her peers.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
My 5th grade son's peers do this, I have heard them when they don't think anyone can hear. However, I can't imagine them doing it intentionally in the presence of adults. I would say the majority of the time they don't really understand what it is they are saying, they just heard someone else say it, and it gets a good response. This too shall pass.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I have so many questions lately. Lots of changes this year in my daughter who is 11. Okay, so the latest trend amongst my daughter and her friends is making sexual jokes, the kind I was into when I was in college, not fifth grade. Here are some examples: One kid will say, "It was so big (innocently), and then others will respond, "How big was it?" Another time, her friend told a boy who was being silly to, "go to bed". He looked at her strangely, and she said, "EWWWWW. I don't want to go to bed WITH you!!". That's just an example, but there is ton's of this kind of stuff. My daughter even does this at home with me. I said something about something being soft and warm. And she laughed hysterically and she said, "Ooooh, soft and warm". Ugh. Do you see this with kids this age too? Please say yes I don't remember talking like this at their age.
Lol. They should've said "That's what she said!"

I was definitely making sexual jokes with my friends when I was 11. Probably even before then. I think it's weird that they do it in front of you though. I'd feel weird about making that kind of joke in front of my parents even now.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,920 times
Oh yes, that was definitely the style of joke when I was that age. Everything anyone said was twisted into something sexual. I had a muffin for lunch one day and the people around me joked about whether or not it was my muffin above the belt or below. That doesn't even make sense, but it certainly got them going. Utter the word stick, pencil, baseball bat, or any other potentially phallic object and you were setting yourself up for a penis joke. I remember once saying something about "It was a mistake" and the girl next to me whipped her head around and said "OMG, you want his one-eyed snake?"

It was obnoxious, but most people grew out of it over the next couple years. Maybe because at 13 you start hearing about kids having actual sexual contact. I'm still baffled that anyone was even thinking about sex in 7th grade at my whitebread junior high, but a few sad kids were having sex back then.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Lol. They should've said "That's what she said!"

I was definitely making sexual jokes with my friends when I was 11. Probably even before then. I think it's weird that they do it in front of you though. I'd feel weird about making that kind of joke in front of my parents even now.
Oops! I forgot to use, "that's what she said" as an example. They say that one ALL of time. I personally don't hear her friends talk like this, but my daughter comes home and loves to tell me what was said, as she thinks it's the epitome of great humor.

As far as I know these kids don't say this in front of adults. I walk this very fine line of trying to be open minded and not too preachy about sex stuff and being prudish like my mother. I try to create an environment where she feels very comfortable talking about sex with me, but sometimes i wonder if I am too laidback. Often I cringe inside having discussions with her about certain things, but I always try to present as cool and calm and unphased. Maybe she's trying to get a rise out of me. Thanks everyone for the food for thought. I know I can come across as a knowitall here, but in real life I question everything I say and do.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
So a priest, a rabbi, and bill clinton have some troja.......wait what was this thread about again ?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Oops! I forgot to use, "that's what she said" as an example. They say that one ALL of time. I personally don't hear her friends talk like this, but my daughter comes home and loves to tell me what was said, as she thinks it's the epitome of great humor.

As far as I know these kids don't say this in front of adults. I walk this very fine line of trying to be open minded and not too preachy about sex stuff and being prudish like my mother. I try to create an environment where she feels very comfortable talking about sex with me, but sometimes i wonder if I am too laidback. Often I cringe inside having discussions with her about certain things, but I always try to present as cool and calm and unphased. Maybe she's trying to get a rise out of me. Thanks everyone for the food for thought. I know I can come across as a knowitall here, but in real life I question everything I say and do.
BAHAHAHAHAHA my friends and i say that all the time in the group i'm in whenever someone makes a comment you can construe as sexual. Anyway, i remember in middle school us making the same types of jokes, so i think it's probably pretty normal.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
At 11 I was in 6th grade, and still trying to figure out if the nuns had hair under their wimples.

I never heard anything like that from my boys, and I'm not really sure how I would have responded if I had.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
When I was in 5th grade the boys would "lag behind" when we would go up the stairs so they could see up all the girls skirts when they were a flight above. Took a long time for the teachers to catch on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting