Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,679,822 times

Advertisements

My twins elementary school does NOT have a bathroom in every class, but they do have a change of clothes for mistakes. My son ALWAYS waits to the LAST possible second before he says, "I HAVE TO GO!". He has come home on more than one occasion with spare clothes from the school. Thank goodness. I am confident they would NEVER simply let him sit there in his own poop or pee.

The thing that gets me is that it doesn't bother him in the least to poop or pee in his pants at school.. his twin sister would be humiliated but not him, he simply likes the attention no matter how he gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM

88,806 posts, read 85,207,717 times
My kid would have been doubly humiliated when they handcuffed her mother after I fly-kicked her teacher across the classroom.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,235,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My kid would have been doubly humiliated when they handcuffed her mother after I fly-kicked her teacher across the classroom.
I had a rough week (taxes!). THANK YOU for making me laugh out loud!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,979,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
My twins elementary school does NOT have a bathroom in every class, but they do have a change of clothes for mistakes. My son ALWAYS waits to the LAST possible second before he says, "I HAVE TO GO!". He has come home on more than one occasion with spare clothes from the school. Thank goodness. I am confident they would NEVER simply let him sit there in his own poop or pee.

The thing that gets me is that it doesn't bother him in the least to poop or pee in his pants at school.. his twin sister would be humiliated but not him, he simply likes the attention no matter how he gets it.
Our elementary schools do not have bathrooms in every room, but they do in the kindergarten rooms.

The bathrooms are down the hall for most classes and the teachers take the kids when they change for recess, lunch or specials (art, music, pe, library)

Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,986,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I talked with tg about this he was pretty pissed too.
He said you dont make ANY kindergartner wait to go to the bathroom.

I told him id clean up my child first and what i did next would have me hauled out in handcuffs. I dont know what fly kicking is and it sounds hard to do but she'd be taking some leave for what i did.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM

4,389 posts, read 4,252,616 times
I had a urine accident in second grade after the teacher wouldn't let me use the toilet that was at the back of the room next to the cloakroom. She then paddled me--the only paddling I ever got. I don't think I ever told my parents.

That's one reason why I'm very liberal about allowing my students to use the restroom. I tell them--no puddles, and no piles, especially no piles. But they are high school and, in my opinion, should have enough sense to go during the class change. My principals don't like that I let the kids go, but I'm on the side of the kids in this one.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,235,354 times
This entire situation was handled very poorly, from start to finish.
Practice tests in Kindergarten, not letting her leave to use the bathroom, not dealing with the accident right away, and wrapping garbage bag around the little girl, each part is worse the part before it. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I am sure that this will be discussed at faculty meetings all around the country and more liberal bathroom procedures and more frequent bathroom breaks will be implimented at many schools.

But I did want to add something to this discussion.

Yes, this was situation was handled extremely inappropriately. Many schools do have procedures in place for what to do with students with bathroom accidents. To avoid even the slightest risk or suggestion of a teacher/adult being suspected of sexual abuse the schools in my area will never allow any adult (teacher, aide, principal, parent volunteer, etc) to assist a regular education student in the bathroom.

Even the Four Year old Kindergarten students who have a urine accident are simply handed emergency clothes and a plastic bag and they have to change themselves in the bathroom. If they have a bowel accident that they can't handle by the themselves the parent must be called to take them home or to assist their child at school.

There are different rules for special education students who need help in the bathroom. In my former school the bathrooms in the special ed. classrooms only go about 5 1/2 feet high. Since they are always open at the top any adult assisting a child can be observed at any time by another adult looking over the door. Thus you are never "in private" with a child.

In other schools two adults are alway present in a bathroom with a special education child even if only one is needed or the bathroom door is always partway open (if the child's privacy can be preserved).

There may be different procedures in schools that have nurses on staff or other situations but the above two paragraphs explain what happens in the public schools in my area.

I wanted to let readers know this just in case their child has an accident in school and they are surprised that a teacher or other adult doesn't help "clean the child" or assist in changing their clothing.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,986,924 times
I would have ***** slapped that teacher upside the head with my childs diarrhea filled underwear after i cleaned my child up.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,594,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
How can people be this braindead after going through college?
I swear people come out of college dumber than before they started. IMO, college removes all common sense and simply brainwashes people.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,595,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's my issue with it as well, at least insofar as why I tell my kids to go regardless. No one will remember the time X got in trouble for disobeying the teacher and going to the bathroom, but they will remember the time X soiled themselves in the classroom. I grew up in a relatively small town and went to a small high school (~140 in my graduating class) so that may be part of it. Even in our senior year when people were discussing school memories, they would still remember the time so-and-so peed their pants in Kindergarten.
That is SO TRUE.

I remember this one guy - who finally moved away and is an Attorney . . and still the only thing anyone talks about is when he peed his pants in first grade. I still remember it - being horrified for him.

I told my son the very same thing - if you REALLY HAVE to go, and the teacher says you can't . . . GO ANYWAY and I will deal with the rest. My son was quiet and hated to break the rules and I just see the same thing happening to him. It never did, thank goodness.

I think that if this teacher has so little regard for her young students - she should be strongly encouraged to find another job. That's corporate speak for fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting