Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,109 times

Advertisements

family of 6 needing some advise on what to do. My kids 18 & 15, my husbands kids 16 & 12, my stepson who is 12 is being made to make a hard decision. He visits his natural mom and stepdad and, Lives with his dad and I. We have been married for 9 yrs and together 11 yrs. Yes the mother left them. She has come back into their lives now that all the work is almost over?? They can feed themselves, cloth themselves, i am their mother, I might not of givin birth to them but damn it... this isnt right.
his 16 yr old has been living with his mom for 2 yrs now, and my husband forgave child support because she had one and he had one kid. ( they had Joint- custody with my husband having the final say on things) the 12 yr old goes up to his moms house ever other weekend. when he is mad at us, he complains to her about how rotten we are. we were recently served with court docs...she is now fighing for full custody of both kids, and wants my husband to pay childsupport, medical, dental...ect... anyways the 12 yr old is very torn, he didnt realize that by complaining to his mom, not working it out with us that this would happen. He thought the grass was greener on the other side of I-5! this would pull him out of school , the kids that he has grown up with, and limits my husband, the father with visitation only a few days a month. The 12 yr old told his mom that this isnt what he wanted but, to keep everything the same. She told him its too late. Attorneys are involved! she even has gone as far as to post things onto facebook regarding this.
We have had good times and bad as with any step-family, blended family whatever you want to call it these days.
the 12yr old is acting out, throwing tantrums, not doing well in school, lying and stealing. tonight we came home from town, had a wonderful dinner with the kids at a new local place, to find a photograph of him (12 yr old) taken out of the frame, I didnt understand, I started looking around at the others on the walls, tables and desks. there are a total of 2 frames and 3 pictures taken out of these frames and destroyed. I was upset when i had to look in the fireplace/woodstove to find them not there but under the garbage can area crumpled up. I have only found 2 8x10 s still looking for the other 5x7.... What am i to do as a step-mom... and i hate that word with a passion, Im at the end of my rope. I dont know what to do. The father doesnt discipline the boys, oh yeah I forgot they are all boys, when its his two he sweeps things under the rug and doesnt want to talk about it, when its my two he wants them punished.

my husband has asked me not to do anything about this, that he will talk to the 12 yr old. I feel that this isnt going to be resolved, just like my knotty cherry wood cabinets that were stabbed with a steak knife. that was never delt with either.
Please give me some advise- before I loose my rope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
obviously your family needs professional help- support from strangers online is good too but you need family counseling and most of all you need atty to work this out in the legal manner.
most people will not get professional help. not sure why when your whole life and the lives of these children is at stake but that is WHAT YOU ALL NEED.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Wait. The 12 year old took a steak knife and stabbed the cabinets?

THAT'S when the calls to find a counselor should have started.

(You might want to think about priorities, BTW: It's interesting that you mentioned the photos before the knife episode which was practically a throw away on your post. Time to pull up the Adult Woman pants and get serious about what's going on in your home. Because you're sitting on a potential powder keg and the 12 year old is flicking his Bic. Sorry. Time to sit DH down and make sure he knows there's a real problem that needs to be dealt with.)

Old 05-17-2012, 09:40 AM

179 posts, read 516,640 times
I believe at the age of 12 the judge would take into consideration where the child would like to live. I am sure every state is different so I would check on that.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,212 times
It kind of makes me wonder what exactly he has been telling his bio mom to make her want full custody.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,956 times
it is difficult to change an exisiting court order for custody unless there is some sort of abuse/neglect.

I, too, am a custodial stepmother. I know where you're coming from, emotionally and financially.

There does need to be some way to help him with his anger issues, counseling would be a good place to start. The anger is a direct result of his frustration and powerlessness he feels, not to mention guilt for creating the situation (at least in his mind he feels it is all his fault).

First step is to get the kids out of the middle of the drama. Custody battles can get ugly... very ugly. Your children need to know that they are loved and wanted no matter how custody turnes out and that it is okay to love both their parents.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. The 12 year old took a steak knife and stabbed the cabinets?

THAT'S when the calls to find a counselor should have started.

(You might want to think about priorities, BTW: It's interesting that you mentioned the photos before the knife episode which was practically a throw away on your post. Time to pull up the Adult Woman pants and get serious about what's going on in your home. Because you're sitting on a potential powder keg and the 12 year old is flicking his Bic. Sorry. Time to sit DH down and make sure he knows there's a real problem that needs to be dealt with.)
Agreed.

When you sit down with your husband, do talk about his tendency to want to punish your kids, but sweep thing under the rugs with his. The emphasis isn't rather on *YOUR* kids, so don't let it go that way-- the emphasis should be on his "sweeping things under the rug". That kind of mentality has never done anyone good and it'll screw his kid up even more.

Both of you parents need to teach him how to properly deal with his issues because his handling sucks so far. I don't care if he's 12 and hurting, he's still damaging property. That is not a good outlet to have. Husband should *not* have told you to stay out of it, especially since you are a *huge* part of his childhood/development-- if the boy does damage something else, say something right away. Get counseling for the boy. And you need to talk to the mother and find out what exactly her real intentions are. Is she really doing this for the boy(s) or herself? This way, you know which direction to go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting