Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Meaghan which sounds like Megan not meegan. .
One of my favorite names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Not in a case like this you don't because he is being a obstinate fool over the situation. Archaic notions are fine but i don't find they should be set in stone is all.
He's obstinate?

So's the OP.

Were I her I'd find out the sex of the baby. Seems rather silly to get this worked up over things when there's half a chance it will be a girl and she'll have gotten all lathered up over nothing.

And I don't know what's up with hating a name that your husband has. Unless all this time she thought Snookums was his real name.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

How many labours have you had?
I dont see how it matters how many I've had, but I have one son. Was labor painful? Sure. Painful enough that it gave me veto power over the father's longstanding name? No, and I went all natural in a birth tub, so again, it really wasnt that bad (although I hear pitocin natural labors are worse).

The fact of the matter is that the OP never replied to - why not compromise and let your husband name the boy and you name if its a girl? IMO, that's a far more "fair" way to settle it if you're unwilling to budge on the boy name and you said you're not finding out the sex of the baby til birth. *Side note* I applaud you for waiting, my son was a surprise as well til birth and it was VERY amazing to just have such a surprise like that. Few things in life are surprises and this is one that you can completely control that it stays a surprise

Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He's obstinate?

So's the OP.

Were I her I'd find out the sex of the baby. Seems rather silly to get this worked up over things when there's half a chance it will be a girl and she'll have gotten all lathered up over nothing.

And I don't know what's up with hating a name that your husband has. Unless all this time she thought Snookums was his real name.
Since she is willing to compromise i can't see how she isn't being so.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
For what its worth, my husband was a Jr. and had he wanted to name our son a Jr, i would have let him, but we discussed it BEFORE we even had got married what potential names we liked in children. He had already said no way in hell would he name his child the 3rd since he hated his bio dad

Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Ok I'm cutting to the chase here for the OP -

When you name the baby, it's a matter of filling out a form, usually within 24 hours of the birth so you are still in hospital.

If you have a quiet word to the nurse, they will allow you to fill it out in alone.

The law recognises the mother's ultimate rights even if these other posters do not. YOU are the one to lodge the birth certificate as YOU are the one who gave birth. You can put any name on there you please and no one can stop you. It is YOUR CHOICE.

You can actually put father unknown on there too, like some women I know have chosen to do, even though they have been happy with the father at the time. Reason being, we have a far stronger type of independant woman in Australia who is far more likely to not want the man involved in the future, than your average Mrs America.

However, I already know that you will probably just cave in to the pressure and give birth to Henry Louis the whatever. If it's THAT important to them, and you still want to be part of that family dynamic, you'll probably have to let this one go.
Both the hospitals I delivered in required both of our signatures, so it may not actually be a possibility.

Realize too though, that the husband could very easily do the same thing (if it's allowed) especially since she will not be ready to sign any paperwork immediately. Everything goes both ways.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
He's obstinate?

So's the OP.

No, she doesn't like the name. When one parent doesn't like the name, you find another name that you can both agree upon. He's being obstinate in that he refuses to consider ANY OTHER name. SHE is not saying I WANT THIS NAME AND THAT'S THAT. He is.

Dh and I could not agree on a name for dd#2. We went back and forth for weeks until we found one we both liked.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
He's obstinate?

So's the OP.

I am not sure where you are getting that the OP is the one being stubborn.

I though based on her posts that they had discussed this while dating and hubby was flexible about names. Then changed his mind and refuses to even discuss any other names. OP has suggested multiple compromises including using the name and adding another middle name. Hubby still refuses to consider anything else.

Considering OP said this will likely be their only child I am not sure where you get the idea that she is being stubborn.

As for hating a husbands name, it is easy, if it has a strong negative connotation before you meet. But since you love a person and not their name, you move past it. But no child should have to bear a name that one of their parents despises.

Example, my bestfriend "hates" her husbands name (not that he goes by it) because it was the same name as her stepfather who abused her and her sister for years. She is facing the same baby name pressure by her husbands family. Luckily her husband is completely understanding. His family is not.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
For what its worth, my husband was a Jr. and had he wanted to name our son a Jr, i would have let him, but we discussed it BEFORE we even had got married what potential names we liked in children. He had already said no way in hell would he name his child the 3rd since he hated his bio dad
SO DID THE OP.

Before the pregnancy OPs husband was OPEN to other names. Now, he has changed his mind.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I dont see how it matters how many I've had, but I have one son. Was labor painful? Sure. Painful enough that it gave me veto power over the father's longstanding name? No, and I went all natural in a birth tub, so again, it really wasnt that bad (although I hear pitocin natural labors are worse).

The fact of the matter is that the OP never replied to - why not compromise and let your husband name the boy and you name if its a girl? IMO, that's a far more "fair" way to settle it if you're unwilling to budge on the boy name and you said you're not finding out the sex of the baby til birth. *Side note* I applaud you for waiting, my son was a surprise as well til birth and it was VERY amazing to just have such a surprise like that. Few things in life are surprises and this is one that you can completely control that it stays a surprise
This is the only child they will likely have. They should compromise on BOTH names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting