Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am picturing our 2 million dollar a year business partner showing up to tour the office and being met by salespeople in flip flops. Is it uptight? Sure. Whatever. It is what it is. Talk about a first world problem.
Or it could indicate it's a good place to work, and patterning with a company that is more interested in content productive employees than regimented and resentful employees.

Your view is very 1950ish, its 2012 now.

But this thread is about barefoot kids, perhaps you should start a thread about business dress in 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ugh! Don't get me started on adults in a professional office...without shoes. I once saw a teacher in a school...teaching...in stockings.

Am I the only one who sees this as a problem? Okay.
I don't see a problem with it. I once worked at a broker/dealer clearinghouse. Everyone - from the file clerk to the receptionist to the traders - kicked off their shoes at their desk. Trust me, our bosses did not care. All they cared about was getting the job done right and making money.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Or it could indicate it's a good place to work, and patterning with a company that is more interested in content productive employees than regimented and resentful employees.

Your view is very 1950ish, its 2012 now.

But this thread is about barefoot kids, perhaps you should start a thread about business dress in 2012
Agreed. I challenge some posters to look at the most successful companies in advertising, design, e-commerce, etc. Look at their offices, the way they dress. Then look at their impact in their fields, the money they make, their standing within the business world. Trust me, no one gives a **** what those people are wearing on their feet.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
On the other hand, look at banking, finance, real estate, insurance ... typically much more conservative. The T-shirt, cargo shorts, and flip-flop environment has its place, but when big money is involved people tend to dress up.

I spent a lot of my childhood in bare feet. I was barefoot a lot in high school. Yes, my parents could afford shoes, but I just took them off. I have been gainfully employed since I graduated, so I don't assume barefoot kids are poor or uneducated, nor do I believe they will be too backward to employ someday. At most, I think it's dirty sometimes. Not a big deal. I'd go barefoot more now but it gets the floors dirty. That's my main complaint.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

I spent a lot of my childhood in bare feet. I was barefoot a lot in high school. Yes, my parents could afford shoes, but I just took them off. I have been gainfully employed since I graduated, so I don't assume barefoot kids are poor or uneducated, nor do I believe they will be too backward to employ someday. At most, I think it's dirty sometimes. Not a big deal. I'd go barefoot more now but it gets the floors dirty. That's my main complaint.

I would take dirty feet over flip flops for my DD any day. She has a tendency to trip when running in flip flops. Makes me nuts. But I am a bit weird. I LIKE seeing my kids dirty. It means they did stuff that day.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I agree, it's disgusting! I went barefoot in the house and in the back yard as a kid. It also grosses me out when I see kids not only barefoot, but crawling around on the floor of WalMart or a restaurant. UGH.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would take dirty feet over flip flops for my DD any day. She has a tendency to trip when running in flip flops. Makes me nuts. But I am a bit weird. I LIKE seeing my kids dirty. It means they did stuff that day.
Those foam flip-flops like the cheap ones at Old Navy? I sometimes accidentally drag the front part and then jack up my foot. Hate that. (Oh, you mentioned tripping. YES. That happens to me too. No running in flip flops, and I'd rather they didn't ride bikes in them either.)

I like going barefoot, but I compromise by wearing little footie socks all the time. None of my kids particularly like to go barefoot though. It's funny. The oldest does sometimes, but the middle one hates bare feet (she has hypersensitive feet like my mom and can't stand anything touching her bare foot, so she always wears socks), and the youngest wears sandals like his dad.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Okay...what is with children not wearing shoes? Toddlers, older kids, even babies...all weekend, I have seen kids around, NO SHOES! At Wal-Mart, the park, walking around downtown. Not even a pair of flip flops...am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

Okay...babies..a pass...but at what age should they have shoes? My kids always wore shoes...am I just old fashioned? I guess...and if parents say, "They won't wear them", then fine...they should not leave the house...
I went barefoot my whole life except when I was in school. It is, after all, the way nature made us. As long as there isn't any broken glass or metal shards to contend with it shouldn't make any difference.

When my uncle was about 6 he was walking (or running) along a railroad track in Kansas and shoved a splinter of wood between his toes that came out the side of his foot. They just yanked it out and never even went to the doctor. That would have been back in the 1930s I think. Kids were tougher then.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Ugh! Don't get me started on adults in a professional office...without shoes. I once saw a teacher in a school...teaching...in stockings.

Am I the only one who sees this as a problem? Okay.
I was barefoot today in my classroom. Does not remotely effect my teaching.

And if we are goinG to rant about disgusting. Stockings are disgusting I have never worn them nor would I ever. Professional jobs included there.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I teach classes in my home on occasion, and I'm sure I'm barefoot, since we don't wear shoes in the house. I've also been barefoot teaching Sunday School classes. The school that my kids went to for a very short time allowed the kids and teachers to just wear socks if they wanted indoors. In fact, they encouraged it, because it meant they weren't tracking dirt in. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting