Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can see not wearing shoes at your house or when you are outside, but at Wal-Mart (or any other store?) Who knows what you're picking up on those floors.

I even get skeeved watching people walking around the streets of Manhattan with flip-flops on. Really? All that dog pee and human spit and god knows what else on the sidewalks, and you're exposing your bare feet to that and it doesn't faze you?
I completely agree!! I find it beyond disgusting when I see people walking around Manhattan in flip flops. I can't even imagine the bacteria that is flipping onto their feet everytime they flop. GROSS!! They did a test on this on one of those news magazine shows. When they swabbed the peoples' feet and tested what came off..... dis-gust-ing. And to think these people would probably go into their homes and kick off their flip flops and walk that crap all over their home, into their bed, etc. I don't even let people wear shoes in my home. Nope. Take them off at the door. You're NOT bringing that nastiness into my home, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I completely agree!! I find it beyond disgusting when I see people walking around Manhattan in flip flops. I can't even imagine the bacteria that is flipping onto their feet everytime they flop. GROSS!! They did a test on this on one of those news magazine shows. When they swabbed the peoples' feet and tested what came off..... dis-gust-ing. And to think these people would probably go into their homes and kick off their flip flops and walk that crap all over their home, into their bed, etc. I don't even let people wear shoes in my home. Nope. Take them off at the door. You're NOT bringing that nastiness into my home, thank you.
LOL, and I just posted about people being too germ-conscious, but I am thinking of being barefoot outdoors in places with real dirt and grass, etc., when I say that.

The streets of Manhattan are filled with man-made (and dog-made and rat-made) grossness. That's an entirely different scenario.

Growing up, there was a closet just inside the front door where my family always kicked off its shoes upon entering. We just did it without thinking--I am of Dutch descent, and that was probably a holdover from the days when people took off their wooden shoes upon coming in from the polders and walked barefoot in the house. We just don't wear shoes in the house.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
How many people are getting seriously ill or dying from foot related diseases?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM

458 posts, read 611,431 times
It's a question I've always wondered too! But for those who prefer to go barefoot and allow their children to do so, I still haven't read a reason as to why? Are shoes uncomfortable? itchy? hot? and, there is pride in having leather bottomed feeling feet? (more so a question for the adults-- what part of rubbing that sandpaper in the bed with your s/o is in any way appealing?)

Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
It's a question I've always wondered too! But for those who prefer to go barefoot and allow their children to do so, I still haven't read a reason as to why? Are shoes uncomfortable? itchy? hot? and, there is pride in having leather bottomed feeling feet? (more so a question for the adults-- what part of rubbing that sandpaper in the bed with your s/o is in any way appealing?)
Your feet are the product of a million years of evolution and walking without shoes. Shoes can cause many people lower back pain, knee pain, bunions, etc. Walking barefoot can get rid of those aches and pains for many people.

As for sand paper feet. That is a myth. The soles of my feet maybe thickened but they are not rough, or dry. I walk or run barefoot on the beach most every day, it smooths out the rough spots and lotions makes sure there is not dryness.

Additionally barefeet never smell, don't get weird toenail issues (I think thick yellow toenails are way grosser than callouses), don't get corns, and generally look more like feet. My SO likes my feet a lot actually.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Going barefoot is one of the innocent joys of childhood I think. It has it's proper times and places though, and as long as those are observed, I see no problem letting kids kick off the sneakers for a few months every year.

Ironically, the worst foot injury any of my kids ever got was at a place where being barefoot is expected, at the beach. He stepped on a razor sharp shell and needed multiple stitches to close up the wound.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How many people are getting seriously ill or dying from foot related diseases?
ROFL, good question. We should look into this. For me, it's just the psychological ick factor of seeing people constantly spitting or worse on sidewalks and seeing dogs pee on sidewalks and seeing the mounds of garbage on the sidewalks on trash day, knowing that before the sun rose there were two-pound rats rooting around in those bags, and then watching some princess prance down those same sidewalks with her little flippy floppies on. Shouldn't bother me, I know--it's their feet!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The reason is just simply comfort! It's much nicer to walk through grass barefoot or to feel the earth underneath your own skin. Shoes are heavy and uncomfortable. You can wiggle your toes, step in a puddle, pick up stones with your toes. Wearing shoes is often necessary, but it's unnatural. Feet were meant to be free!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
It's a question I've always wondered too! But for those who prefer to go barefoot and allow their children to do so, I still haven't read a reason as to why?
Comfort. Tradition.

When I was a kid shoes were only for school. All summer long we went barefoot or wore rubber zorries (flip flops). A parent could buy zorries for their kids at Long's drug store for 39 cents. If they broke we repaired them with a stick and a piece of tape. My parents were from the mid-west and they were oddly proud that they were raising kids who could walk across a hot beach barefoot.

I don't remember any of my friends wearing shoes during the summer. We were all rather proud of our filthy feet at the end of the day. If someone watered their lawn and there was water in the gutter we MIGHT wash our feet off there before we went home.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ROFL, good question. We should look into this. For me, it's just the psychological ick factor of seeing people constantly spitting or worse on sidewalks and seeing dogs pee on sidewalks and seeing the mounds of garbage on the sidewalks on trash day, knowing that before the sun rose there were two-pound rats rooting around in those bags, and then watching some princess prance down those same sidewalks with her little flippy floppies on. Shouldn't bother me, I know--it's their feet!
It's the ick factor for me as well. Just the sound of someone hacking deep into their throat, and the sound of that thick wad of phlegm hitting the sidewalk, makes me want to gag. I cannot bear the thought of my bare feet coming in contact with that. I don't mind walking around my own house or yard with no shoes, but I wear shoes everywhere else...and they are left at the door when I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting