Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM

102 posts, read 312,382 times

Advertisements

I live in the south, and here's my take on it. When it's 102 outside, with 75% humidity, and a heat index of 115, I'm not wearing any more clothing (shoes included) than I have to. If I am going out in public (to Wal-Mart, to a restaurant, etc), then I will dress neatly and wear flip-flops. If I am going to a park, to the beach, or somewhere along those lines, then I'm not wearing shoes.

I went with my friends to see fire works for July Fourth. When we arrived at the park (about 3:00 PM), it was 96, the humidity was 72%, and the heat index was 109. Once we sat out our blanket, got some snacks, and got comfortable, I took my flip-flops off. I walked around the festival for the rest of the day and night without shoes (unless I went to the restroom, obviously).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am so with you on this!!!!

PEOPLE, MAKE YOUR KIDS WEAR THEIR SHOES IN PUBLIC PLACES.

It is just disgusting to think of what a kids are being exposed to when they walk around a Walmart, grocery store, parking lots, public restrooms etc when they go barefoot. We are talking human excrement, spit, vomit, urine, animal waste, maybe blood, - can we all go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?????

I know it can be healthy for your feet to be barefooted - but save it for home.
This is exactly why shoes are not allowed in my house.
But most people don't have a problem with it; in fact, most people think it's weird if you don't like shoes in the house.

I do agree...shoes in public places are a must. As far as the park or your street or back yard, who cares?

Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Oh...okay...I guess "no shoe people" win...I am an old fashioned Meanie. Enjoy your kids with black, dirt encrusted feet. Calloused feet. Bee stings on bottom of feet after stepping on a bee, glass shards...whatever.

My kids wear socks, and shoes!

I walked around barefoot for many summers and continue to do so. I stepped on a bee once and a nail another time. Other than that, I've never had foot injuries or problems.

Dirt washes off.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I walked around barefoot for many summers and continue to do so. I stepped on a bee once and a nail another time. Other than that, I've never had foot injuries or problems.

Dirt washes off.
Dirt may wash off but if you have a small cut on your foot that you're not aware of and some of that nasty bacteria crawls in, you're gonna have a huge problem.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
It has never occurred to me to not put on shoes when leaving the house, or to not have my kids put on shoes when leaving the house. It seems very odd not to. It is a safety and hygiene thing to me. Broken glass, sharp rocks, hot pavement, all the other things previously listed in this thread. I don't really like wearing shoes either. They come off as soon as we walk in the house. But to go out without them is just gross and unnecessary.

Babies are different. They don't need shoes until they are walking.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Dirt may wash off but if you have a small cut on your foot that you're not aware of and some of that nasty bacteria crawls in, you're gonna have a huge problem.
True. But for me, and others, the chance of that happening isn't big enough for us to warrant never going barefoot outside either.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
35,000+ patients later, I have NEVER seen a primary plantar cellulitis. Ever.

Only secondary from foreign body, and even that is rare.

In 36 years, I have had one splinter in my foot. Rather large. It worked itself out of my foot in a couple of weeks. No infection.

That being said, I would still advocate footwear in public settings.

At home, it's barefoot all the time.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It has never occurred to me to not put on shoes when leaving the house, or to not have my kids put on shoes when leaving the house. It seems very odd not to. It is a safety and hygiene thing to me. Broken glass, sharp rocks, hot pavement, all the other things previously listed in this thread. I don't really like wearing shoes either. They come off as soon as we walk in the house. But to go out without them is just gross and unnecessary.

Babies are different. They don't need shoes until they are walking.
Not even to go out in your own yard?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not even to go out in your own yard?
No we're barefoot in our own yard all the time, but if we're getting in the car to go somewhere, or walking down to the park, we put shoes on.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Something I was just talking about with a friend - how it seems that somehow most people today don't trust in the body's ability to heal, and the resiliency we have naturally. Yes, my child's foot might have gotten cut... it heals. In all the years he preferred bare feet, he had one injury - fire ant bites. In all the years I preferred bare feet, I had one injury - a tiny piece of glass. You know what? I had a hard time getting the piece of glass out, and the body did what it was designed to do - created an "infection" which pushed the glass out.

We're not living in the middle ages - we have disinfectants, antibiotics, cleansers, etc. that will help clean injuries.

Our bodies will heal. It's OK if someone experiences minor pain, it really is. Feet wash easily. Feet get gross, then get clean. I get a cut, it heals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting