Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because if you are a parent you had better make sure they are. And lets be clear what we do know. The man who was the "trained professional" in your opinion, also made their dinner, and spent the week acting as a "body guard". Really does that sound like a professional marine scientist or animal behaviorist?

So I take it you are now acknowledging that this was not a "controlled enivronement"?
Number one, I am not the parent in this scenario so you can back down from me. Secondly, I do believe this was a controlled environment. I visited the company's website and viewed the video. TO ME, it looks to be a controlled environment.

Finally, I never said this man was a professional marine scientist or animal behaviorist. I simply said he was a "trained professional". How do we know he hasn't been trained in dealing with the animals he works with every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I think that for a five year old, swimming in general is enough for them to learn and practice how to keep themselves safe in a potentially dangerous situation. No need to add an animal that can maul them without warning to the mix.

I just don't see the need to go that far. What are we preparing our children for, exactly? The real world or a Decepticon invasion?
I'm of the opinion that not everything in life need to serve a purpose. Sometimes, it's just about the experience.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
This was taken on our last family vacation. Oh noes, guess we shouldn't have gone. Research, education, and calculated risk all come into play.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm of the opinion that not everything in life need to serve a purpose. Sometimes, it's just about the experience.
Which brings us back to my original question, "Why not let your kid swim with a dolphin or some sort of fish instead?" What meaningful difference exists between one experience and the other, besides safety?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
This just in...thousands of parents let their kids swim with sharks on NJ beaches...

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Ever let your kid go swimming in the ocean? Well, then they've swum with sharks and ones most likely far more dangerous then the ones this girl was around and under far less controlled circumstances.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Which brings us back to my original question, "Why not let your kid swim with a dolphin or some sort of fish instead?" What meaningful difference exists between one experience and the other, besides safety?

I am not sure what you would categorize as meaningful. But a dolphin is not a shark. Sometimes that is enough, particularly among shark fans.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
Because some people want to swim with sharks. My preference would be to just go to the beach and swim and not go out of my way to try and swim with sharks or dolphins but just because that is my preference it does not make it every one's preference. It's about calculated risk. And as njgoat pointed out, if you've ever swam in the ocean, it's likely you've swam with sharks. I'm not about to avoid the ocean out of fear.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I expected to see a kid swimming with some bull sharks or something. What is the hype about?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not sure what you would categorize as meaningful. But a dolphin is not a shark. Sometimes that is enough, particularly among shark fans.
Then the question is Why? Why would a five year old little girl prefer swimming with a shark to swimming with a dolphin? Where would this preference come from, I wonder. Something's out of balance if we're to assume that, I think, because most kids would be absolutely thrilled with swimming next to a dolphin. C'mon now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's about calculated risk. And as njgoat pointed out, if you've ever swam in the ocean, it's likely you've swam with sharks. I'm not about to avoid the ocean out of fear.
If it's about calculated risk, the difference between swimming in the ocean where a shark might swim up and swimming right next to one should count for something. You don't see me telling parents not to let their kids ride their bikes at all, or not near a road somewhere, just not in the middle of a highway. I've defended swimming in the ocean because I don't think it can be compared to swimming in a pool (depending on what the person really enjoys about it). Most people would agree they're two different things. But a shark vs a dolphin? To a five year old? Should be about the same.

However, just like I've done in comparing swimming with sharks to swimming with dolphins, I can make reasonable decisions that allow a good balance between fun and safety here as well. Let's see... How bout not letting your kids swim out too far in the water? Just far enough where they can actually swim is plenty; it really shouldn't make a difference to them unless someone puts it in their head that it's "not enough". Swimming as close to the shore as possible greatly reduces the risk of them being attacked. It also greatly boosts your chances of spotting a shark in that area. For one, closer = more visible. And two, the more shallow the water, the closer to the surface the shark must be.

Thinking. It won't turn your child into an Amish hermit crab afraid of everything and entirely dependent on others. I promise.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Then the question is Why? Why would a five year old little girl prefer swimming with a shark to swimming with a dolphin?
Who cares? I mean seriously, who cares? Why did my nephew become a large animal vetrinarian because he just LOVED large animals? Who knows or cares.

Quote:
Where would this preference come from, I wonder. Something's out of balance if we're to assume that, I think, because most kids would be absolutely thrilled with swimming next to a dolphin. C'mon now.
There is nothing out of balance except your assumption that people should prefer dolphins to sharks. Preference is personal. Including, apparently, one's preference for risk aversion.

Quote:
If it's about calculated risk,
It looks like they calculated that risk. And came up in favor of getting in the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting