Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Also the mother and grandmother denied not only their child a chance to be part of the conversation, they denied themselves the opportunity of seeing things through a child's eyes. One reason having kids is so fun is that you get to relive your own childhood, you are reminded of questions you once asked like why is the sky blue and seeing things.

The real problem with the mother and grandmother is they allowed themselves to be old. They don't care what an 11 year old thinks because they lost something important inside them. You should never let go of your own inner child, and it's your own inner child that let's you relate with and care what children think.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
That's simply not true. It's only the last generation or two who think kids are the center of the universe and treat them as such. They're not. Growing up in my generation and for generations before, kids kept their mouths shut when adults were conversing. We KNEW not to interrupt and we didn't join in adult conversation and KNEW BETTER NOT TO. My kids sat quietly when they were at a table with adults unless they were asked to join a conversation because that's how I taught them. We all grew up with good manners and respectful to our elders, much more so than kids today. They are the most disrespectful generation I've seen.
I'm not sure why you think what I said is not true. I don't disagree with you at all. My children did not interrupt, and knew how to bave themselves in public. HOWEVER, I did not treat them rudely, and I don't think it is necessary to.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
Yes they should be seen and not heard. I was raised that way and I can say that I turned out fine. The ones that feel that children NEED to be respected and should be put on a pedastal have gotten it all wrong. Just recently, I read a story where a 14 yr old when to a teacher's house with a shot gun and shot her in cold blood..why did he do it? Because he didn't like the grade he got for the school year. What does this have to do with anything? Well it's about time that kids learn that they are not special and that they are not mommy's little snowflake anymore. Parents should also be more active with their children in discipline and teaching them that. When they do not, a kid can't handle "coming in second place" or "the way someone spoke to them" because they have always been put up high on a pedastal. It's time for it to stop
There is a world of difference between respecting a child as a person and putting them on a pedestal.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The real problem with the mother and grandmother is they allowed themselves to be old. They don't care what an 11 year old thinks because they lost something important inside them. You should never let go of your own inner child, and it's your own inner child that let's you relate with and care what children think.
Oh my goodness I love this. Such an important concept to understand and live by.

(Though I doubt this mother and grandmother lost it. My guess is they never had it to start with.)

And yes, my DH and I are the Boomers who pick the table by the carousel in the food court at the mall so we can watch little kids - and their parents - enjoying themselves. )

Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Quote:
Who was it that decided to give the kids control of what we say and do? Who was it that decided that kids have earned their way in this world and should have the respect we used to give our elders?

Children should be taught at an early age that those who are adults should be respected and they, as children, need to live a long time and be decent human beings to deserve that same respect.

We treat children with kindness, but they are not equal to adults. They just plain aren't.

According to Merriam Webster:
: an act of giving particular attention : consideration
a: high or special regard : esteem b: the quality or state of being esteemed

Perhaps the grandmother was a bit rude, but disrespectful? No. No child on this planet is on equal grounds with a grandparent. They haven't lived or learned enough to earn that. The child should have the respect for his grandmother to stop talking and sit quietly when the grandmother began to speak even though he was interrupted. It's called manners. Every child should have some. For some reason, mothers are teaching their children that what they, the children have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say. Not in my house.
So this is your way of thinking of children? The grandmother was disrespectful in every way possible. When a child is speaking, we should not disregard what he is saying for the mere fact of a child. The grandmother was disrespectful by not considering how he felt. If someone did something like that to me, I'd be hurt, to know that My opinion isn't worthy because of age is not how kids should be raise. "Not in my house" What? "It's called manners" where are the grandmother's manners? She couldn't have waited for him to finished? Would You do that to your own child? If you were my parent, i'd lose respect for you.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
Yes they should be seen and not heard. I was raised that way and I can say that I turned out fine. The ones that feel that children NEED to be respected and should be put on a pedastal have gotten it all wrong. Just recently, I read a story where a 14 yr old when to a teacher's house with a shot gun and shot her in cold blood..why did he do it? Because he didn't like the grade he got for the school year. What does this have to do with anything? Well it's about time that kids learn that they are not special and that they are not mommy's little snowflake anymore. Parents should also be more active with their children in discipline and teaching them that. When they do not, a kid can't handle "coming in second place" or "the way someone spoke to them" because they have always been put up high on a pedastal. It's time for it to stop
Children should be seen and heard. Why not let a child speak? Mind you with limitation, but seen not heard is a retarded quote, and a lazy excuse for parenting.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM

395 posts, read 458,381 times
The grandma and mother in this story need to have their heads smacked together to knock some sense into them. How can an 11 year old child learn to respect others when his mom and grandmother show him no respect?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times
Quote:
Who was it that decided to give the kids control of what we say and do? Who was it that decided that kids have earned their way in this world and should have the respect we used to give our elders?

Children should be taught at an early age that those who are adults should be respected and they, as children, need to live a long time and be decent human beings to deserve that same respect.

We treat children with kindness, but they are not equal to adults. They just plain aren't.

According to Merriam Webster:
: an act of giving particular attention : consideration
a: high or special regard : esteem b: the quality or state of being esteemed

Perhaps the grandmother was a bit rude, but disrespectful? No. No child on this planet is on equal grounds with a grandparent. They haven't lived or learned enough to earn that. The child should have the respect for his grandmother to stop talking and sit quietly when the grandmother began to speak even though he was interrupted. It's called manners. Every child should have some. For some reason, mothers are teaching their children that what they, the children have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say. Not in my house.

Well said. Now look out for the ones who will call you a tyrant for both your opinion and parenting skills.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,537 times
The Grandmother and Mother are "old school". Again while clearly not some people's "cup of tea" the practice of "Children should be seen and not heard" was a successful one, and had worked for many years before. Not everyone adheres to today's thinking of "everything children have to say is either cute, or so important that adults should stop, listen, and hang on to every word they say, because if we don't any future bad behavior will be our fault.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
The Grandmother and Mother are "old school". Again while clearly not some people's "cup of tea" the practice of "Children should be seen and not heard" was a successful one, and had worked for many years before. Not everyone adheres to today's thinking of "everything children have to say is either cute, or so important that adults should stop, listen, and hang on to every word they say, because if we don't any future bad behavior will be our fault.

I have a really hard time understanding equating g'ma INTERUPTING with ""everything children have to say is either cute, or so important that adults should stop, listen, and hang on to every word they say"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.