Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
The topic of this thread is donor conception.
Ah, all the IVF talk obscured that somewhat. So what percentage of IVF uses donor conception? What kind of numbers are we talking?

I noticed you did not respond to my critique of the study (or perhaps my critique of making such a large issue of findings from one very limited qualitative study). Out of curiosity, are you familiar with the literature on the adjustment of children conceived through a donor? IS there one? I tend not to take one (very limited) study as gospel.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how this is a parenting topic rather than an "Other Controversy."

Old 08-14-2012, 03:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Both adopted and donor-conceived children have the same kinds of identity issues. They can be worked through, of course, but it's a struggle and a sadness for them. The difference is that the "parents" of donor-conceived children knowingly, willingly, and deliberately impose those issues on their offspring.
I personally don't appreciate the snarky use of "parents" when referring to parents who conceive using IVF, especially considering your very limited understanding of the process.

Parents who adopt knowingly, willingly, and deliberately impose identity issues on their offspring too. How on earth can you argue that it is at all different?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
This is a qualitative study with a sample of 16 self-selected people. Qualitative studies need to be taken with quite a grain of salt. Interesting, yes. Indicative of some massive phenomenon? Not this study.
You're a hard case. Here's some more evidence for you, this time with a sample of 485 donor conceived adults between the ages of 18 and 45, in addition to "comparison groups of 563 similarly-aged people adopted as infants and 563 similarly-aged people who were raised by their biological parents".

One interesting finding:

"Additionally, married heterosexual parents raising donor-conceived offspring are more likely to divorce than the parents of adopted children. 27% of donor-conceived offspring report that their parents were divorced before the respondent was 16, compared to 14% of the parents of adopted children and 25% of biological parents.

This is surprising, according to the study, because most divorces occur early in marriage and donor conception generally occurs later in marriage, after parents have attempted to have children another way. This 'strongly suggests unusual, negative influences on the marriages of those who used a sperm donor to conceive their child,' according to the study."

More likely, those who seek donor conception have a broken moral compass to begin with that isn't good for marriage.

Here's a link to the actual study.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Ah, all the IVF talk obscured that somewhat.
Then I'm glad to have cleared it up.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
You're a hard case. Here's some more evidence for you, this time with a sample of 485 donor conceived adults between the ages of 18 and 45, in addition to "comparison groups of 563 similarly-aged people adopted as infants and 563 similarly-aged people who were raised by their biological parents".

One interesting finding:

"Additionally, married heterosexual parents raising donor-conceived offspring are more likely to divorce than the parents of adopted children. 27% of donor-conceived offspring report that their parents were divorced before the respondent was 16, compared to 14% of the parents of adopted children and 25% of biological parents.

This is surprising, according to the study, because most divorces occur early in marriage and donor conception generally occurs later in marriage, after parents have attempted to have children another way. This 'strongly suggests unusual, negative influences on the marriages of those who used a sperm donor to conceive their child,' according to the study."

More likely, those who seek donor conception have a broken moral compass to begin with that isn't good for marriage.

The only "broken moral compass" here is your own. Donor sperm is used to solve a medical problem. It has absolutely nothing to do with your highly warped notion of morality.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:

One interesting finding:

Haha on being a hard case! Ok, I'll read your links after the kids go to bed tonight, but I have to tell you it's already suspect as it comes from the Institute For American Values and lifesite. Hardly peer-reviewed and disinterested sources.

Out of curiosity, how does one measure a broken moral compass?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:21 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:

One interesting finding:

A study done by a an anti donor christian group cited on a christian website. Oh yeah that's not biased or anything .

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Parents who adopt knowingly, willingly, and deliberately impose identity issues on their offspring too.
Nonsense. Those identity issues exist prior to the adoption. The children have already lost their biological parents somehow, and their future adoptive parents had nothing to do with that. On the contrary, they are doing their best to compensate for the loss.

The "parents" of donor conceived children - scare quotes used because they are not exhibiting parental love - create the problem to begin with.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

OK. Please scratch me off the card for an interesting debate in Religion or POC.

Once I see people live in a teeny, tiny box of judgement I tend not to enjoy the discussion. (But I would urge you to read Papa Albino on the subject. Pity he was the Pope for only 33 days, but such is the Will of God.)

Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:

Out of curiosity, how does one measure a broken moral compass?
Apparently by how far it deviates from that of someone who thinks IVF is offensive. Children face all kinds of less than ideal circumstances of conception. Somehow I doubt the OP thinks they should have been aborted if naturally conceived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting