Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

This makes me sad.

A generation of adult children are out there. And, if nothing changes, the next generation will be worse.

This series of videos is depressing to me

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.58d3ec2c0582
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Meh. I’m 40 and I look up how to do think on YouTube all the time. When I was younger, I read it in books. Not everyone learns what they need to know to be a successful adult, but most of us figure it out somehow. Parents can tell an 18 year old how to dress for work or to go to bed earlier til they’re blue in the face, but they don’t listen. If they see it on a video, maybe they’ll heed the advice.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
I don't know how to make a Mint Julip. I also didn't know how to change the CTS or thermostat on my Mazda. Same for replacing the garbage disposal, re-wiring a light switch, replacing a light fixture, resetting the low airflow switch on my furnace, and installing an under-sink reverse-osmosis water filtration system.

In the past, maybe 5% of people would have read a book or asked a friend to show them how to do these things. The other 95% would've hired a plumber, electrician, etc. to do it for them. Youtube has saved me literally thousands of dollars, and made me twice the handyman my father was.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM

192 posts, read 131,176 times
I know, it's really sad that baby boomers and late Gen Xers decided to skip out on passing on the torch for these skills.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I look up how to do things. My parents didn't know how to do most of the things I look up. Need a light switch replaced? Call an electrician. Need the inlet valve on the washing machine replaced? Call the repairman. Need the garbage disposal replaced? Call a plumber. Car trouble? Go to the dealership, drop a grand on repairs they suggest. I don't want to do things the way my parents did.

One of my kids is not at all interested in learning to fix anything. The other one likes to learn but says when she grows up, she'll pay people to do those things for her, or call me and her dad to come do it.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:48 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
[quote=cheezball;51010907]I know, it's really sad that baby boomers and late Gen Xers decided to skip out on passing on the torch for these skills.[/QUOTE

I tried but one of my kids just flat out was not interested and sadly I had several of my peers were lacking in basic skills themselves.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
I use online resources all the time to learn how to do things. I used it the other day because for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to open the hood of my new car. Lucky I did because it was different then all my other cars and really hard to find the lever and I would have froze my arse off.

I don't see the problem in videos that teach people how to do things.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

131 posts, read 123,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
I know, it's really sad that baby boomers and late Gen Xers decided to skip out on passing on the torch for these skills.
I think older generations were able to figure how to grow up with the help of good parental role models. Not sure why the parents of Millennial's failed so poorly at this.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
How to clean? How to pack a lunch? How to say thank you?????????

Come on, give me a break

Old 02-13-2018, 04:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
I think older generations were able to figure how to grow up with the help of good parental role models. Not sure why the parents of Millennial's failed so poorly at this.
Who failed? Maybe the younger gen is just trying to do better then before...or maybe things are changing...or maybe the car hood is different then before...or they want to do it different then they were taught.

I mean, how is watching a video on how to buy a car any different then reading a mag article? Or visiting the library?

To me it just seems like young...and old people using online resources to have a better outcome with an upcoming project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting