Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,611,108 times

Advertisements

Spent most of last night at a police station helping a 14 y/o girl file a police report against her abusive, drug-dealing, psychotic mother who periodically throws her out of the house. The woman has four children by three different fathers. CPS was alerted, but won't reassign guardianship at this point. The only two family members remotely capable of helping her are an ailing grandmother who lives alone and an aunt who has too many problems of her own.

The girl's mother told her grandmother to take her in for the night and then "turn her out". The girl is terrified of going home. Here's a case where I think this girl just needs to be rescued by someone, but I don't know what the legal ramifications might be. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,240,296 times
Thank you for helping this child. I'd talk to an attorney. Or call a teen shelter and ask what they recommend. There are people that can advise you. If the Mom is just throwing her out.....maybe the kid can call you to pick her up...Can the Grandmother give you permission to house and care for the child?? If you can help this child go to the Soc. Services and get custody. She needs to be rescued. Poor kid.
I think Sheena12 a regular on here has had some experience w/ this. Maybe DM her.
Or, if you are brave, just keep her safe. Doesn't sound like Mom gives a care...So horrific.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thank you for helping this child. I'd talk to an attorney. Or call a teen shelter and ask what they recommend. There are people that can advise you. If the Mom is just throwing her out.....maybe the kid can call you to pick her up...Can the Grandmother give you permission to house and care for the child?? If you can help this child go to the Soc. Services and get custody. She needs to be rescued. Poor kid.
I think Sheena12 a regular on here has had some experience w/ this. Maybe DM her.
Or, if you are brave, just keep her safe. Doesn't sound like Mom gives a care...So horrific.
Unfortunately I can't take her in. I have young children and she has too many issues. However, I may be able to help her find a place. I think you're right about talking to an attorney. The police officer made it clear that at this point the mother still has the final say. I understand the law and am glad that it guards parental rights, but damn, sometimes drastic measures are needed.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
If you took/met her to the police station what happened after she did the report? Didn't the police call Socal Services? and send her to fostercare that night?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you took/met her to the police station what happened after she did the report? Didn't the police call Socal Services? and send her to fostercare that night?
The police took the report and called CPS. CPS declined to intervene. The mother was contacted and told the officer that her daughter could stay one night with her grandmother (which is where she had fled to anyway with all her belongings). The grandmother is another piece of work. She's frightened of her own daughter and doesn't want anything to do with the situation. That's why I was asked to take the girl to the police station: the grandmother wouldn't lift a finger. But grandma came to the station after it was all over and took the girl back to her apartment.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Why would CPS refuse to intervene if the facts are as you state?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That's a great question. It seemed like a clear case to me, but maybe the abuse wasn't serious enough - some slapping around, verbal threats, coerced participation in drug use, but nothing directly life-threatening. As for the drugs, that's hard to prove. Although CPS declined to intervene last night, they are going to visit the home unannounced in the next ten days to check things out, meet with the mother, and try to come up with a "plan". But I fear it may be too late by then.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,978,766 times
Coerced drug use???
Unless she is violent or a direct harm to your children I would take her in.
If she just has issues because of her mother but over all is a sweet and loving girl then take her in since no one else seems to care.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Spent most of last night at a police station helping a 14 y/o girl file a police report against her abusive, drug-dealing, psychotic mother who periodically throws her out of the house. The woman has four children by three different fathers. CPS was alerted, but won't reassign guardianship at this point. The only two family members remotely capable of helping her are an ailing grandmother who lives alone and an aunt who has too many problems of her own.

The girl's mother told her grandmother to take her in for the night and then "turn her out". The girl is terrified of going home. Here's a case where I think this girl just needs to be rescued by someone, but I don't know what the legal ramifications might be. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
I would ask CPS if you & your wife could take her in.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Because they are overworked, understaffed, underfunded and have to triage abuse cases. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting