Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM

23 posts, read 68,691 times

Advertisements

I'd say have fun and send her packing. Let her have fun. Also, I'm sorry, but her 18 year old friend is legally an adult, so...yea.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM

162 posts, read 359,005 times
When I was 17, I went to Myrtle Beach for spring break with a couple friends. We were from NY, so it included getting on a plane and using public transportation to get around. We had a great time and it was a great experience. We didn't get in any trouble, but we did some some things that we shouldn't have done, but again, no trouble and more of the typical stuff done by most high schoolers.

I find the choice of LA interesting. Are they going there hoping to break into acting or something? I've been to LA, but I'd hardly call it the most exciting place to visit. Maybe your daughter is interested in acting or the glamorous life.

If you trust your daughter and she has a good head on her shoulders, I say let her go. It is a great way for her to gain some independence and for you to feel OK with her going away to college or just growing up in general.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
The first thing that popped into my mind was the movie Taken with Liam Neesen. God Forbid. I'm glad you settled on, no People that talk about the "olden days" and their Grandfather leaving the house at 17 need to smarten up, it's a different time now.

There's the story that recently resurfaced about the NC Teen that went to MD to be with her sister and was killed and now there's a sex tape that came out. UGH!!!
When our kids do their study abroad, daughter and son, they will watch this movie before they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I find all the negative replies very interesting.

At what point do you cut the apron strings? 17? 18? 25? 40?

Yes bad things happen. But, we cant keep kids swaddled in a crib forever.

If the child is smart, and the friends are nice girls, why not let her do a weekend trip? And see how it goes?
This isn't about "cutting the apron strings" it's about being a parent. It's a poor plan to start with and just not necessary. Our 17 year old just spent 4 days in Florida. She flew on her own, got to her destination on her own, was visiting friends. I had no problems with that at all, however, I wouldn't let her go to LA for 2 weeks with a group of friends. First, 2 weeks is a long time to be unsupervised in an area with a group of MINORS. Second, where are they going to stay? They can't rent a hotel room. Are they sleeping on the beach somewhere? What is the purpose of the trip? There are plenty of other options these kids could do. Finally, who is paying for this trip???

Going off to college is FAR different then sending a bunch of high school kids off to roam about LA.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Sorry, but 30 years ago there weren't date rape drugs and everyone's most private business didn't have the potential to end up on the internet.
I am 47 years old. I started college when I was 17, 30 years ago. My parents definitely taught me not to leave my drink unattended because "someone could slip something in your drink." Date rape type drugs existed and good parents taught their children about them. Even 30 years ago.

I definitely would not let my 17 year old inexperienced child travel clear across the country to a city that is known to be a rough city. I did suggest that the OP consider a shorter, closer trip because most girls that age are ready for a small taste of freedom.

There are reasons not to allow this type of trip but shrinking in horror about how horrible the world is is probably the worst reason of all.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
God this "it wasn't like that in the olden days" carp drives me up the wall.

I was a teenager in the 80s. Heroin, meth, pot, acid...all available, all killing my friends. Bad hair, punk, self mutilation - we invented it.

My mother used to warn me about "Mickey Finns" which were the early version of rohypnol, and she grew up in the 40s!

It wasn't like being in the Ark you know.
Wow, I haven't heard the term "Mickey Finn" in years! my mother used to warn me about them, too.

The story in our family is that one of my aunts was given a Mickey Finn by a disgruntled ex-boyfriend and was raped by him. This was about 1935. When she went to the police the wealthy guy got off because he had a good attorney and our family were poor. He also got a few of his buddies to testify that they had consensual sex with her, too. Sadly, she went from being an innocent virgin to being pregnant after one drink.

That certainly "wasn't the good old days" for her and our family.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Default Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
our 17 year old daughter wants to go away to LA with 2 of her girlfriends for 2 weeks... not sure how I feel about this... we are from NJ, so it's pretty far. Anyone let their kids do this type of trip? I know when I graduated, went to the beach for a week with friends, but that was in my own state (not across the country)...

My daughter went to New York City with a girl friend for when she was 17, but not for two weeks. we had a friend near by if she had questions or problems. They took cabs and went to a lot of shows. They never went outside a certain area.

She had flown alone, many times, as a child to visit family. She was a very mature responsible young lady. She is getting her PhD now as says it was the most fun she ever had a New York City.

Two weeks seems long - how will they get around since they can not rent a car?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Default There is very little public transportation in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolandSprings View Post
When I was 17, I went to Myrtle Beach for spring break with a couple friends. We were from NY, so it included getting on a plane and using public transportation to get around. We had a great time and it was a great experience. We didn't get in any trouble, but we did some some things that we shouldn't have done, but again, no trouble and more of the typical stuff done by most high schoolers.

I find the choice of LA interesting. Are they going there hoping to break into acting or something? I've been to LA, but I'd hardly call it the most exciting place to visit. Maybe your daughter is interested in acting or the glamorous life.

If you trust your daughter and she has a good head on her shoulders, I say let her go. It is a great way for her to gain some independence and for you to feel OK with her going away to college or just growing up in general.

There is very little public transportation in LA and they are too young to rent a car.

Last edited by Vergofa; 12-30-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
our 17 year old daughter wants to go away to LA with 2 of her girlfriends for 2 weeks... not sure how I feel about this... we are from NJ, so it's pretty far. Anyone let their kids do this type of trip? I know when I graduated, went to the beach for a week with friends, but that was in my own state (not across the country)...
True, she's not a baby. She's 17 and will soon be an adult, so why not wait until she's 18? (Assuming she's supporting herself and makes 100% decisions for herself.)

Two weeks is way to long for someone who has never traveled alone. She'd be better off on a weekend trip close to home.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Default Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
For me it would depend on the child, and also on the friends.

Have they made any plans and a budget? LA can be very expensive, and I am not sure 17/18 year olds can rent cars?
Do you think they will go out partying and maybe underage drinking? Then no
Do you think they will go to museums, have fun at the beach and do some girly shopping? Then yes.

I moved to a different county aged 17 to go to university and learn the language... but I was a mature 17, and very boring- no drinking, no boyfriends etc :P

Important questions:

Who is paying? Where are they staying and how will they get around?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM

162 posts, read 359,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
There is very little public transportation in LA and they are too young to rent a car.
I'm thinking of taxis. That is what we used when we needed to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting