Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. If someone is in their 20's and can truly afford kids, then fine. However for all the examples in this thread of people being settled in their 20's and ready for babies, there are plenty more who aren't ready. The fact that most babies born to parents under 30 are born out of wedlock should scare anyone.
What's the scariest, is that the fathers of these children won't step up to the plate, and take care of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What's the scariest, is that the fathers of these children won't step up to the plate, and take care of their own.
I know, that bothers me tremendously and it will affect the kids in years to come. Kids need a dad. So many of these young dads are not taking responsibility, whether it's letting taxpayers support their offspring (while they often make more)and having no relationship with the kids. Very sad.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,298,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger55 View Post
By then, you should have a solid relationship/marriage (so less chance of becoming a single parent), and a good career, to provide for the child, as to not suck tax money from hard working people.

For example:

A family headed by a single parent can cost the tax payer nearly £6 million.

£5million: The extraordinary sum it can cost the taxpayer to support a single mother of three on benefits | Mail Online

I've noticed all the wealthy couples I know don't have any children at all.

Why don't people make wiser choices?
Maybe "people" don't make wiser choices because they don't have to, they KNOW that the gov will take care of them if need be...charity breeds charity.....The wealthy couples you know who have no children might be wealthy in material possessions, but I'd rather be poor with a bunch of kids (yes, we've always supported ourselves) than "wealthy" without.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 PM

43,715 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
By then, you should have a solid relationship/marriage (so less chance of becoming a single parent), and a good career, to provide for the child, as to not suck tax money from hard working people.

For example:

A family headed by a single parent can cost the tax payer nearly £6 million.

£5million: The extraordinary sum it can cost the taxpayer to support a single mother of three on benefits | Mail Online

Actually for a woman biologically it is best to start having children (at least the first pregnancy) before age 30.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:

Aside from being a huge financial burden, children often negatively impact your lifestyle as well. People without children can work two jobs, or work a lot of overtime which increases their wealth. They can live in a low-income area while they save money without the worry of the quality of the schools. They do not have to pay for dance lessons, soccer equipment, and the seemingly endless MEDICAL bills that go along with raising a child in the 21st century (although, as a child, I don't think that I went to a doctor more than three times between birth and 12 years of age, but that was before doctors became the modern replacement for God).

There is no guarantee, of course that childfree couples will become wealthy, but there is a much greater chance of it.

20yrsinBranson
childfree/not wealthy

Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Aside from being a huge financial burden, children often negatively impact your lifestyle as well. People without children can work two jobs, or work a lot of overtime which increases their wealth. They can live in a low-income area while they save money without the worry of the quality of the schools. They do not have to pay for dance lessons, soccer equipment, and the seemingly endless MEDICAL bills that go along with raising a child in the 21st century (although, as a child, I don't think that I went to a doctor more than three times between birth and 12 years of age, but that was before doctors became the modern replacement for God).

There is no guarantee, of course that childfree couples will become wealthy, but there is a much greater chance of it.

20yrsinBranson
childfree/not wealthy
Well, I am going to agree with you that children are expensive and probably had a negative impact on my finances!

But children can also impact your lifestyle in a positive way. Travel teams and sports can bring many close friendships amongst the children and parents; there are good times to be had when spending the week-ends away from home. Most all of my best friends I met through my son! Watching your child grow and mature and succeed. The love I feel for my son - I can't put a price on all that.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
It has nothing to do with age, but rather being financially prepared to take on the additional cost and responsibility.

Plenty of people have the financial resources to start having kids early, and as a recent new grandparent. We were 26 and 25 when we had our first, but with two good jobs, fully paid medical, owned a house, one new car and one late model used so we were prepared.
Wait until 40 to have kids, and you will be in your 60s and ready to retire by the time they are off on their own.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
childfree/not wealthy
Not everyone sees this as a positive impact to their lifestyle.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM

861 posts, read 1,457,647 times
Quote:
Why do people under 30ish have kids?
Because they want to do. Deal with it.

It's also better to start a family before you're 30 but most people do so anyway.

The article the OP linked us is data for the United Kingdom, not the US. So, I don't see how it's relevant to us.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,480,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. If someone is in their 20's and can truly afford kids, then fine. However for all the examples in this thread of people being settled in their 20's and ready for babies, there are plenty more who aren't ready. The fact that most babies born to parents under 30 are born out of wedlock should scare anyone.
The only reasonable extrapolation to be made from this whole thread is not that people should wait until they are older to have kids, but that they should wait until they are married to have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting