Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM

117 posts, read 256,894 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are TTC. "If" we get pregnant this month we'll have a January 1st due date. Is this a hectic time to have a baby? It'll be freezing out, plus Christmas time and New Years. Is it difficult to plan bday parties, etc? We might skip this month because its such a hectic time of year. Anyone have a child who's bday is right around Xmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,064 times
My birthday is very close to Christmas and also falls on my parents' anniversary. It is such a pain that we don't even celebrate it on that date, we celebrate on my half birthday in June instead.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM

117 posts, read 256,894 times
Really? Are you okay with celebrating your bday in June? Ugh, maybe we should skip this month. Some people don't mind it. I heard some people hate having their bday close to Christmas...

Old 04-06-2013, 03:24 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Hi all,
My husband and I are TTC. "If" we get pregnant this month we'll have a January 1st due date. Is this a hectic time to have a baby? It'll be freezing out, plus Christmas time and New Years. Is it difficult to plan bday parties, etc? We might skip this month because its such a hectic time of year. Anyone have a child who's bday is right around Xmas?
My son's bday is January 8th...it's a bit of a pain because you need to plan a party around the holidays and you can't do it outside, plus it's a bit annoying that all the holidays and gifts get crammed into that time, this year he turned 3 and seemed to get a bit overwhelmed with all the gifts one after another to the point he didn't even seem to care about them anymore, lol. I feel like it was too much excitement and stimulation for him in a short period of time, that may change as he's older of course. I was also freaking out before he was born because your last trimester and newborn period falls right in the worst of the flu/illness season. But overall it's not terrible, though I do wanna try to plan to have the second one in spring or summer.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
My sister's birthday is at the end of December, and mine is very early January. I think the pros and cons are different for an adult and a child. Winter birthday parties may require a bit more creativity, but for me the big advantage is that our family tries to get together over the Christmas holidays and our birthdays. It's fun celebrating together.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:38 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,745,349 times
I imagine it will be fine for her when she is older, but for now, DD (10) having a mid December b-day is a bit of a pain. The biggest problem is scheduling b-day parties with her school friends. Most families are really busy that time of year, winter break is about to start for her at school, etc. We've ended up having official celebrations for her either early, like November, or later after winter break, like mid January. On the plus side though, she doesn't mind it being moved around but for the years we tried to actually celebrate close to her actual b-day it was tough.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
My nieces birthday is Dec 22n and it becomes a bit of a pain only cause its hard to get everyone together for a party cause of the holiday rush and season. Plus some people just want to give one big gift instead of two for birthday and christmas. My due date was Dec 19th but I had her Dec 1st and it worked out great cause its perfectly between Thanksgiving and X-mas so everyone is free before the rush

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
My sister was born 12/27, and my son's birthday is 12/28. I think they would both admit they made out, because we were SO careful to make it a separate celebration. We didn't have any trouble planning parties for DS, as it seemed parents were thrilled to have some place to take their kids during the break.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,362,566 times
My twins birthday is Dec. 26. We always have family celebrations on their birthday, and when in preschool/elementary/middle school had their parties (with pals invited) scheduled 1-2 weeks before winter break (sending out invites a couple of weeks prior). Many of their friends would take off during winter beak and wouldn't be around, and there were other kids with December birthdays. Once we got the swing of it, scheduling was never a problem.

My due date was Jan 20. I had no idea they'd be born 12/26!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Skip it. Yes, it's a bad time of year for a birthday, and your question indicates that you really already know this.

These are the self-centered reasons why:

You have to wait ALL YEAR to ask for something you might really need.

It's nearly impossible to schedule a birthday party because most of your friends will be out of town.

As a kid, you never get to celebrate your actual birthday in school like your friends with boring October or April birthdays.

People tend to gloss over the celebration, sometimes giving one gift for both holidays.

Just hold off a bit, and enjoy the perception that you actually have control over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting