Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

15 year old Venus Palermo has been dubbed the 'living doll' because she enjoys dressing up/making up like a doll or a cute anime character. She also looks, speaks and acts (in her videos) like a small child. The interviewer is saying 'it's not normal' and that she'd be horrified if her own daughter would want to do this at 15. I think the mother makes a good rebuff...I don't have any children so I can't say how I'd personally feel, but if it was just innocent I wouldn't feel it was wrong or anything. I mean sure it's not average, but like her mother said it's just really a hobby. Of course she has many internet fans, and there's always the chance some are dirty pedophiles, but you shouldn't really let the minority stop you from doing what you want to do.

What are your personal opinions about this? How would you feel if your daughter was like Venus?

[MOD CUT: POST LINK]

Last edited by springfieldva; 04-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
By allowing You Tube and doing TV interviews this mother clearly is trying to market her daughter. The actual dressing like a doll might be a temporary fad but the mother's participation will only reinforce this girl's obsession with this fad and I think that crosses the line. Reminds me of the Kardashian clan.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
I would think all that $$$ I spent on therapy failed.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Pedophiles might come into play here, but you have to understand that this 15 year old is bordering on adulthood. The illusion is fanciful and does create a child like image...but - it is simply a fad much like some older females tattoo themselves head to foot if they can afford it. It's just a pitiful art form practiced by a person who wants notoriety. With the advent of Youtube and other forms of digital publishing- EVERYONE wants to be famous. Eventually this young girl is she does not mature will look like an old idiot...Much like those 70 year old guys with dyed black hair who think they are Elvis.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Pedophiles might come into play here, but you have to understand that this 15 year old is bordering on adulthood. The illusion is fanciful and does create a child like image...but - it is simply a fad much like some older females tattoo themselves head to foot if they can afford it. It's just a pitiful art form practiced by a person who wants notoriety. With the advent of Youtube and other forms of digital publishing- EVERYONE wants to be famous. Eventually this young girl is she does not mature will look like an old idiot...Much like those 70 year old guys with dyed black hair who think they are Elvis.
Why do you think it's pitiful?

To be honest I've seen some of her videos and I find it all rather comical and silly and rather harmless. I find it interesting she uses the 'baby voice' when speaking English and Japanese but when she speaks German she sounds her age. Of course it's not like she's 8 or something, but I think someone who was attracted to a 10 year old would probably be turned on by her as well. She is indeed absurdly cutesy. I do wonder if there is any psychological Peter Pan syndrome behind all of this though...I think that would be more what I'd be looking out for if I was say her mother, if this is just an external manifestation of that.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
I think is is strange however Venus is a remarkably poised and articulate young woman who seems to have a sense of herself and is very confident. The popularity of her videos sort of shows me an independent spirit who I bet does something with this business wise when she gets older. As the mother said, she could doing much worse.

This could be a fad too which she's outgrows however I suspect that she is a creative sort who will branch out into other creative avenues.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
It seems pretty harmless to me, but if it were my daughter I would be disappointed that she would choose to focus her time, energy, and money on something like that, it seems very pointless.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Well, she's not out rolling joints, doing meth or bath salts. As long as she is in school and being productive, it's her choice. If it were my daughter, well, I would question her choices.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why do you think it's pitiful?

To be honest I've seen some of her videos and I find it all rather comical and silly and rather harmless. I find it interesting she uses the 'baby voice' when speaking English and Japanese but when she speaks German she sounds her age. Of course it's not like she's 8 or something, but I think someone who was attracted to a 10 year old would probably be turned on by her as well. She is indeed absurdly cutesy. I do wonder if there is any psychological Peter Pan syndrome behind all of this though...I think that would be more what I'd be looking out for if I was say her mother, if this is just an external manifestation of that.
Okay pitiful was not the right word. How about bad artists?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 AM

273 posts, read 1,061,084 times
use your body and youth while you have it. that's my mantra. i would fully support my daughter in milking her beauty and finding a wealthy man like that old man who married anna nicole smith to take care of her. she gets fame, wealth, and some type of nest to play in. why not? in this case, i absolutely support the girl in the video shown here.

in 2012, kim kardashian made $66 million. i won't even make $1 million in my entire life. that girl did it in a year. and i am college educated and work 60 hour workweeks. to those who hate kim, go back to your honda civics and wannabe palaces while kim enjoys the highest quality of life humans have ever had with pure luxury. oh, she also dates a multi millionaire celebrity. funny how women are jealous of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting