Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,552,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
First things first. Hopefully your daughter is going to help you pay back some of the loans you took out. It was her education so it only seems right that she should.

Second, congratulations for your daughter. What did she get her degree in?

I think a nice graduation gift might be something geared to her future profession.
That is SO NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

It borders of RUDE! I am blessed to be able to pay for my children's education.

Parenthood does not end at age 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't want to just give her money. I wanted it to be something tangible that she could keep/use. She has been living in an apartment, not the dorms ,and has dishes, pots and pans, a bed and whatnot already.

I would love pearls for ME! I don't think pearls will ever really be out of style.
I love the idea of pearls! They are timeless and elegant. It's something that few people purchase for themselves.

As far as the loans that you have taken out for your daughter, that is your business.

Congrats to your daughter! She is a graduate of a highly competitive college!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,836,150 times
I am not sure if you have a piece of jewelery of your own or from in your family that you may like to hand down to her? It was not for graduation but I have a special ring from my grandma and just means the world. Another thought was diamond earrings if hers are pierced?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am not sure if you have a piece of jewelery of your own or from in your family that you may like to hand down to her? It was not for graduation but I have a special ring from my grandma and just means the world. Another thought was diamond earrings if hers are pierced?
That is so nice to have such a keepsake. No, we have nothing like that in our family. I have no jewelry of any value. The idea of earrings is good.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
No one came to either my BS or MS graduations (I skipped the BS ceremony), and I didn't get any gifts except from one aunt who sent me a hefty check, which I promptly invested. I honestly think that 30+ years later any jewelry I would have received would have been long forgotten or relegated to the bottom of my (small) jewelry box, but that's just me.

When my son graduated from college last year, I gave him a large check. He needed a new laptop for graduate school as his old one was on its last legs, and he used part of the money to buy that. I didn't want to buy the laptop for him as I wasn't sure what configuration he needed for the specialized applications he runs.

That was a good idea. She bought herself a laptop this past year. It's a lightweight thing that weighs 1.8 pounds. Kind of amazing.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,836,150 times
The reason I suggested diamonds is it could be something she has for life and could always wear. She would not get to an age where it was not in fashion,could wear them now,and can wear them everyday or on a night out. I also like the idea of a charm bracelet with a charm that is significant and could be added to as life goes on such as if she gets married or has kids. As you can see I am big on the meaning behind things or creating memories. Don't ask me why it just makes me happy but everyone is different.
I love the idea of a trip too. My mom and I had planned a girls trip to Las Vegas but because of some issues it did not happen so we are hoping for the future. Good luck with what you decide

Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,785,305 times
When I graduated HS my parents gave me a crappy watch that I still have. I never wore it, it is quite crappy. I never wore watches or jewelry, and can not figure out what made them think I would want to have a watch to begin with, let alone a crappy watch. For college graduation my mother gave me 100 bucks.

Anyway, I am not sure if my little story helps any, it just made me reminisce about my crappy high school graduation gift lol.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
When I graduated HS my parents gave me a crappy watch that I still have. I never wore it, it is quite crappy. I never wore watches or jewelry, and can not figure out what made them think I would want to have a watch to begin with, let alone a crappy watch. For college graduation my mother gave me 100 bucks.

Anyway, I am not sure if my little story helps any, it just made me reminisce about my crappy high school graduation gift lol.
LOL. I won't get her a crappy watch then. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:01 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times
Quote:
How we financed my daughter's education is not really any of your business, my friend, but yes, she took her own loans out and received a couple of scholarships as well (and yes, I know I'm posting on a public message board and so am exposed to gratuitous snarky remarks). I did not have the means to save for her education while I was raising her.

She will graduate with two degrees, in Mandarin and Linguistics.

Off topic but I wanted to say how great it is that your daughter picked great majors. I am sure you are proud as can be.

I am sure that any jewelry would be fine and remembered.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,197,782 times
Quote:
My daughter will graduate from college in May. I wanted to buy her a graduation gift--thinking along the lines of a piece of jewelry. Not spending more than a few hundred bucks--the loans I took out to help pay for her education will be with me for a while. She's done well, though, and I'd like to give her something to let her know I am proud of her accomplishment.

I'm open to other suggestions. Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
First things first. Hopefully your daughter is going to help you pay back some of the loans you took out. It was her education so it only seems right that she should.

Second, congratulations for your daughter. What did she get her degree in?

I think a nice graduation gift might be something geared to her future profession.
Quote:
How we financed my daughter's education is not really any of your business, my friend, but yes, she took her own loans out and received a couple of scholarships as well (and yes, I know I'm posting on a public message board and so am exposed to gratuitous snarky remarks). I did not have the means to save for her education while I was raising her.

She will graduate with two degrees, in Mandarin and Linguistics.
He wasn't being snarky. He was more or less stating his hope that she was going to help you pay off the loans. What you wrote implies that financing her education wasn't easy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is SO NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

It borders of RUDE! I am blessed to be able to pay for my children's education.

Parenthood does not end at age 18.
This is a forum, it's not like we are all standing in the grocery store discussing MightyQueen's finances - now that would be rude. This is impersonal, we have no clue who each other actually is.

She stated she didn't want to buy too expensive of a gift because she had to take loans to pay for her daughter's education. Declan's Dad responded back, more or less, that he hoped her daughter would help ease that burden since she received the benefit. No judgement there, just an opinion.

I always try to assume, if a poster's comment could be interpreted more than one way, that they meant it to be the more positive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting