Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,124,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I won't have kids but you just need to cut off their money and you see them going back on track.
You're over your head here and have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,872,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Am I a parent? Yep. Three kids, youngest in College. Two of my three dated in HS. My youngest has been going out with his GF for several years and there were a few instances when I wanted to call her parents or otherwise butt in but I didn't because I knew it was none of my business. How many teenagers have you had experience with?

By calling the parents back up, the OP is showing her son and his GF respect and letting the controlling parents figure out what to do. Honest to goodness, in my 28 years of parenting, I've never heard of one set of parents telling another set of parents to actually break up a couple. I call manipulation of parents here and I would not let it happen.
I see Well, we will just have to agree to disagree in this particular case

Now in general I would certainly agree that kids need to work their own relationships out and that a parent should butt out.

However, if you read what the OP has shared about the girls parents carefully you will see that this is not your typical situation.

There is great risk that these folks WILL file charges against this young man. Defending him from false charges could be very costly and extremely upsetting and disruptive to the boy and his whole family.

This mom is doing her job

Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,836,204 times
Quote:
Too bad for them. Keep the feelings for themselves. They might go underground, as long as I was the one paying, they would be home at decent hours and only top grades would be accepted.
So you can't keep them from dating. And top grades? What if they're not capable?

Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM

677 posts, read 1,195,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So you can't keep them from dating. And top grades? What if they're not capable?
I wouldn't keep them from dating if there weren't consequences, like I said. Because there are, you just need to cut off the money for the things they enjoy and they drop the pathetic teen fling in a minute. If they aren't capable of top grades by themselves, they study more hours and I would get them help.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post

The father already eluded to the fact that he would consider a restraining order to keep them apart. Truth is, if he got one against my son...I would get one against his daughter. I will not allow this idiot father to ruin my son's life by giving him a legal record.
will a judge go so far to even issue one for a stupid spat between parents? No law has been broken, no threats have been made. Let them try... they'll be laughed out of court. And what grounds do you have for one anyway?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
By calling the parents back up, the OP is showing her son and his GF respect and letting the controlling parents figure out what to do.
Um. No. I'm sure you'd really love it and back off if another parents tells you how to handle your kid. So wrong. The OP is powerless in this situation. Absolutely powerless.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't keep them from dating if there weren't consequences, like I said. Because there are, you just need to cut off the money for the things they enjoy and they drop the pathetic teen fling in a minute. If they aren't capable of top grades by themselves, they study more hours and I would get them help.
Don't see what the big deal is about top grades... if they're capable, fine. Even with help, they may not be. Then what do you do?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,593,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
My 16 yr old son (his 17th birthday is tomorrow) has been dating a young lady for about a year now. Her parents did not / do not want her dating until she goes to college. They were (hesitantly) ok with her seeing him occasionally (I also believe that she was lying to them about where she was going to see him). They have requested meetings with us a couple times to discuss their expectations and rules (we have met with them twice... all I can say is I have never met a more controlling person in my entire life). Basically, what it all boils down to is they decided today that she could not see him anymore. Her father called my husband to tell him... who does that?! Anyway, we have decided to wait until Sunday to tell him because tomorrow is his birthday and he has a sports event tomorrow to go to. It is going to crush him. I am worried that he will do something reckless and either A: get himself in trouble for "harassing" her because he wants to hear it from her directly or B: he will leave the house and hurt himself (I do not think he would be suicidal, but I DO believe that he would be reckless and that may result in him injuring himself accidentally).

Any suggestions on how to handle this? I am livid that her parents dumped this on us (but it may be for the better because we can break it to him "gently").

Parenting really sucks sometimes...
See, I just don't see the next logical step that the parents are going to charge your son with harassment. Maybe there was more to this conversation then the above condensed version, but if you simply call those parents and say, "I'm sorry but we've been thinking about what you said, and we've decided that it's not our place to tell our son. This is something that needs to come from your daughter." What could they say to that?? They cannot force you to be the bad guys. You should explain just what you said above.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:07 AM

677 posts, read 1,195,697 times
Quote:
Don't see what the big deal is about top grades... if they're capable, fine. Even with help, they may not be. Then what do you do?
Then they go find a job. I wouldn't help them through university with a useless degree.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,872,515 times
Quote:
Um. No. I'm sure you'd really love it and back off if another parents tells you how to handle your kid. So wrong. The OP is powerless in this situation. Absolutely powerless.
Exactly. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting