Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 AM

25 posts, read 71,583 times

Advertisements

Well in nyc im born in January so my mom got me my working papers from the school to to apply for summer youth employment program I did it for 4 yearswhich imreapplied every year until I got 18 I loved and got paid every two weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 04:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,431,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have a job to offer this kid? Have you any idea how hard it is for a teen to find work these days, let alone one as young as 14? I agree by 16 they should be looking hard for work, but not 14.
I'm including being a CIT at summer camp when I say "work." It may not pay--though some programs do indeed--but it's a responsible position which teaches a young person what it means to hold a job. It's the ideal entry-level summer "job," since it's usually a lot of fun, too. My daughter will do this for two summers and then when she's 16 be ready to take a paying job as a counselor. For that matter, until she is driving I'd rather she NOT get a job in a store or somewhere with irregular hours--I sure don't want to spend my time playing taxi driver.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:01 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,787,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Heh - maybe its because we parents watched the results from statically studies on what contributes to success and income in life, and what makes your kid turn out as a 34 year old WOrker at McDonalds

IF you want the best for your kid, then summer activities that will make his resume look better on college applications.. .will be great

Even if that isn't possible, summer should not stop the learning process

God I hope I get in a year round school for my son, because this summer break thing is as outdated as possible

I was not micromanaged by my parents and I turned out fine. My wife was micromanaged by her parents and she turned out fine too. Give me a break.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's so sad to me that parents feel free to plan their high school kids summer lives.

Whatever happened to a kid being able to enjoy THEIR summer: sleeping in, hanging out a the pool or the beach, meeting up with friends, working a part-time job of their choosing . . .why are parents sooooooo involved in their teens lives?

Did all of you helicopter parents have helicopter parents yourselves? Or did you get to enjoy your summers?
How about a balance of both? What's wrong with a little part time work like mowing lawns or pet sitting, and a little time for fun? Do you really think asking a 14 year old to take a half day class or work a hand full of hours per week is too much? Teens left alone all day are more likely to get into trouble.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I'm including being a CIT at summer camp when I say "work." It may not pay--though some programs do indeed--but it's a responsible position which teaches a young person what it means to hold a job. It's the ideal entry-level summer "job," since it's usually a lot of fun, too. My daughter will do this for two summers and then when she's 16 be ready to take a paying job as a counselor. For that matter, until she is driving I'd rather she NOT get a job in a store or somewhere with irregular hours--I sure don't want to spend my time playing taxi driver.
I'd consider CIT "work" as well. However, it's probably too late (this year) for this kid.

I have to say I think it's funny you talk about wanting your kids to work, but you don't want to be inconvenienced by having to transport them. My daughters worked at the local rec center and city pool when they were teens; until they drove themselves (and paid for the gas which was minimal since we're talking about ~ 2 miles of commute) they rode their bikes. The trip home was uphill, all the way, and it's a pretty steep hill.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,945,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
How about a balance of both? What's wrong with a little part time work like mowing lawns or pet sitting, and a little time for fun? Do you really think asking a 14 year old to take a half day class or work a hand full of hours per week is too much? Teens left alone all day are more likely to get into trouble.
This is very interesting to me. Do you think that "teens" or young people are inherently "bad" and left to their own devices will do "bad" things? If this is true, then you are merely distracting them from their innate evilness . . . correct? If your kid is inherently evil, then you are just prolonging the inevitable when you can't be around.

And are you evil and were you evil as a kid? Or are some people "good?"

I don't expect any serious answers - I can already anticipate the answers "Immature people do stupid things," etc. If that is true, how has humanity managed to survive?

Is the theory that you must micromanage and manipulate to delay evilness from taking hold of a kid?

What is your working theory on your beliefs?

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
This is going to be the first time my son is going to be home alone during summer. He has friends at school, but don't hang out with them outside of school, so spending time with friends is not an option. Not sure what he would do all day long home alone since both of us are working. Can parents with high schooler's give me some suggestions?
I don't think it's a good idea for him to be alone all summer. I'd look into a travel camp. They are not that costly and a bus would pick your son up at your house in the morning and they will visit different attractions in your area - pools, ball games, state parks, amusement parks, museums, water parks aquariums and the like.

My children did this at that age and they have many happy memories of travel camp.
If there isn't a travel camp in your area, look into the YMCA, or sleepaway camps.

He will make friends and learn to do new things. Absolutely nothing good can come out of him being alone all day.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,586,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I agree with this! Some CIT programs pay a little but most don't. Sometimes CITs recieve tips.
Sandeling makes a good point - it is an excellent way to enter the work force.
He will be arond peers, meet friends, and learn responsibility. It will also open up the possibility of paid employment as a camp counselor

It's meaningful work and it looks good on a resume or job application.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
This is very interesting to me. Do you think that "teens" or young people are inherently "bad" and left to their own devices will do "bad" things? If this is true, then you are merely distracting them from their innate evilness . . . correct? If your kid is inherently evil, then you are just prolonging the inevitable when you can't be around.

I don't expect any serious answers - I can already anticipate the answers "Immature people do stupid things," etc. If that is true, how has humanity managed to survive?

Is the theory that you must micromanage and manipulate to delay evilness from taking hold of a kid?

Too bad!

There is plenty of evidence that teens left totally adrift can and do get into trouble. Moderator Cut

Here's a link:
http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=e...ised-teens.txt

Last edited by Jaded; 06-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Previously deleted link

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Quote:

Why do you you think signing your kid up for a class or encouraging him to walk dogs or mow lawns is "micromanaging?" I didn't see anyone here say that they go door to door with their 14 year old to help him get odd jobs, or hold his hand and walk him to summer school class. I am really curious why you think the ideas proposed here are so awful, yet in the other thread you think a high school graduate should be treated like an adult, not a kid. It is interesting when you think of them together. You don't think a 14 year old should have any responsibility, yet an 18 year old should take full responsibility. How do you propose getting from point a to point b?

ETA re your first post in this thread, you said what's wrong with allowing them to work a part time job of their choosing. 14 year olds can't always get a "real" job, but who said they couldn't work a part time job of their choosing? I think what your said about working part time and spending some time with friends at the pool is just fine. I don't know how you jumped from the OP to micromanaging our kids lives. What you proposed is pretty much what the rest of us said. I don't know what you are so excited about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Too bad!

There is plenty of evidence that teens left totally adrift can and do get into trouble.

Here's a link:
NewsMine.org - Unsupervised teens
Thanks Kat.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Removed previously edited content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting