Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Same here!

I kept waiting for the "terrible twos". Never happened for me. The FOURS, however, were a totally different story!
Ahhhh yes, the F'ing Fours, I remember them well.

Just wait, the negative nasty 8's and 9's are not far off

I agree, the lack of sleep in those early years was tough and the inability to clearly communicate was another. My sons energy level was the toughest with him and my daughters inability to cope which resulted in constant meltdowns was the other in relation to my two darlings.

They are now, 23 and 14, they are pretty cool human beings and like to sleep as much or more than I do. Hang in there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 AM

75 posts, read 77,917 times
Potty training is a most humbling experience; it is by that point a parent realizes just how little control they have over another human being. My official policy is now "Use the toilet whenever you darn well please, but after your 3rd birthday, you're changing your own diapers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Well haven't started potty training yet so that might turn out to be the most frustrating thing but so far the most frustrating thing is her unpredictability - she loves something one day and hates it the next. Super confident one week, terrified of everything the next. Sleeping great for a new nights and then not sleeping at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beankeeper View Post
Potty training is a most humbling experience; it is by that point a parent realizes just how little control they have over another human being. My official policy is now "Use the toilet whenever you darn well please, but after your 3rd birthday, you're changing your own diapers."
Nice policy!

I'm dreading potty training as she's scared of the potty, won't go anywhere near it.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
Most of any "stress" was them having to be carried everywhere (lugging a child is HEAVY and strollers are seemingly impossible to fold & un-fold, who designs these things?) until age 1 and 3 months or so, dealing with car seats, that they whined & were too young to correct for it until age 2 or so, and that they couldn't eat real food & you had to make theirs as well as make yours.

Once they started walking I no longer carried them anywhere "you've got 2 legs, use 'em" except letting them ride in the buggies at the grocery store (by age 3 even that was stopped), they were taught very early how to buckle & unbuckle themselves (I forget what age, I think around 3) but they were strongly reprimanded if they unbuckled while the car was moving (if they ever tried to get out of their car seat or even simply complained about it they were disciplined for it), I was disciplining for whining by age 2 or so, and they were almost as eager to eat real food as we were to have them do so. Potty-training--done by 2 years of age, maybe 2 months or so, but surely not 3 or 4. Being scared of the potty rarely was a problem, and on the few occasions it came up, refusing to do as we said was more unpleasant than the potty was scary. It's been a non-issue forever now.

Sleep--they were sleeping through the night by age 3 months (and if on any occasion after that they were unnecessarily cranky in the middle of the night for no good reason--oh well, they weren't NEEDING anything they were just wanting ATTENTION--at 2 a.m., oh heck no), and they were never in our room anyway. The 1st 3 months when you had to get up a couple of times around 2 and 5 a.m. or so to feed them was hard, but it had to be done--it was made easier by having bottles already ready to go so all you had to do was warm them up a bit and run with it.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-12-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Most of any "stress" was them having to be carried everywhere (lugging a child is HEAVY and strollers are seemingly impossible to fold & un-fold, who designs these things?) until age 1 and 3 months or so, dealing with car seats, that they whined & were too young to correct for it until age 2 or so, and that they couldn't eat real food & you had to make theirs as well as make yours.

Once they started walking I no longer carried them anywhere "you've got 2 legs, use 'em" except letting them ride in the buggies at the grocery store (by age 3 even that was stopped), they were taught very early how to buckle & unbuckle themselves (I forget what age, I think around 3) but they were strongly reprimanded if they unbuckled while the car was moving (if they ever tried to get out of their car seat or even simply complained about it they were disciplined for it), I was disciplining for whining by age 2 or so, and they were almost as eager to eat real food as we were to have them do so. Potty-training--done by 2 years of age, maybe 2 months or so, but surely not 3 or 4. Being scared of the potty rarely was a problem, and on the few occasions it came up, refusing to do as we said was more unpleasant than the potty was scary. It's been a non-issue forever now.

Sleep--they were sleeping through the night by age 3 months (and if on any occasion after that they were unnecessarily cranky in the middle of the night for no good reason--oh well, they weren't NEEDING anything they were just wanting ATTENTION--at 2 a.m., oh heck no), and they were never in our room anyway. The 1st 3 months when you had to get up a couple of times around 2 and 5 a.m. or so to feed them was hard, but it had to be done--it was made easier by having bottles already ready to go so all you had to do was warm them up a bit and run with it.

LRH

Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
My daughter was strong willed and independent from the get-go and wanted to do everything herself, even when she wasn't able. My biggest frustration at that age came from things like her wanting to clip her car seat buckle but not having the dexterity to do so and then going completely apesh!t when we did it for her. The same thing with buttons, carrying heavy things, etc. Often the choice was wait interminably while she struggled or do it and do it for her and provoke a meltdown. There was a time when I'd do anything I could to avoid taking her in the car somewhere because of the dreaded carseat buckle issue.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I loved the baby years and even though the lack of sleep was a killer, the baby and toddler years were my favorite. it was when they started talking back it became difficult for me. Not sassy mouth as much as "NO" to everything from peas to naps and just to hear themselves say NO all the time.

I also loved the twos when it was constantly "I DO IT MYSELF!". How I wish I had a recording of each of my 4 kids in that stage. all you can do is sit back and watch them try and even conquer.
I have kids and step kids from 10 to 52 and every stage can be difficult. It's when the divorces start that you long for the good ole days of baby temper tantrums!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times
I can say with absolute certainty I HATED infant phase. Without a doubt the worst.. My daughter had acid reflux and my god the hours of crying and choking and me worried. She stopped breathing at 3 weeks and I was awake thankfully (she turned blue had to call 911). After that the constant anxiety of watching her breathing and sleepless nights and problems breastfeeding.. Forget it the "cuteness" of such a tiny baby didn't outweight the incredible physical and mental pain I went through (ppd also)

Toddler years were trying but not as bad I suppose.. Yah everything went in the mouth, coloring on the wall once or twice but I enjoyed her first steps, feeding her self, able to eat more (minus the teething!) more words etc. I didn't like the tantrums, the wanting to do everything yourself but not being able to (then freaking out!)

She is now 3 1/2 and its getting better. She isn't needy per se but she's an only child (had my hubby get the big V after that infancy experience no thankk you) so she does look to me more as a play partner. More so at inconvient times like when I need to do the 3 weeks of laundry and 2 days of dishes! I'm also not a fan of all the climbing on me when she wants attention but I do love cuddle time.. I LOVE she can tell me what she needs/wants so no more guessing. She refuses to potty train right now... so yeah thats a hair puller..

All in all I thought that terribly infancy phase would never end, just horrid I can't even see why anyone would want to experience that more than once! Its getting better now , much more fun!

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 06-12-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Most frustrating...people who think 1-3 year olds or infants are "hard". You aint seen nothing yet. Just wait until YOU can no longer fix THEIR problems.

That aside...lack of sleep. You do get used to it after a while, but it's a hard transition when it happens.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Most frustrating...people who think 1-3 year olds or infants are "hard". You aint seen nothing yet. Just wait until YOU can no longer fix THEIR problems.
True in many ways. My son was horribly colicky but at least he was home with me. I used to work overnights and there was one woman always worried sick because her 18 year old daughter was off with an abusive *******... I really can't imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting