Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times

Advertisements

Thanks. The facebook page is a neat idea. The problem in east TN is that the transplants don't know anyone, so they don't know who to ask. They'd have to live in a neighborhood that has other little kids and maybe then get a good recommendation. No one wants to use a stranger, they all want to know the person. If it was me I'd probably use sittercity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
College students are great.

And, despite what you think, so are many high school students. The Red Cross has a really great babysitting course that teaches teens what to do in the event of an emergency, et al. I'd call your local college or high school and see who they might recommend.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
A public high school might not be able to supply such information, but you might try a private school. I recall calling a private high school and asking if they had some sort of job board at the school. They did. They put my request for a baby sitter up. We received a call from a wonderful young woman. When she "aged out" her younger sister was available.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
A public high school might not be able to supply such information, but you might try a private school. I recall calling a private high school and asking if they had some sort of job board at the school. They did. They put my request for a baby sitter up. We received a call from a wonderful young woman. When she "aged out" her younger sister was available.
A public high school may not supply the information, but they'll more often than not post it up on a bulletin board, just the way your private school does.

I work out of the house and, when my kids were younger, I hired college students from a nearby university. It was great. They'd pick the kids up, get them home, feed them a snack and make sure the homework was done. It was a huge help for me.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Church.

Bulletin boards at the local grocery.

look for ads in the paper.

Put an ad in the paper.

We found that most adults who are willing to take on hit or miss work for $5 to $10 an hour usually have something wrong with them. We prefer the college students or high school students. Get one who has demonstrated responsibility (i.e. Honor roll, putting together a charity event or something similar). Even with college students you have to wonder why they do not have a steady job and want to take on occasional baby sitting unless it is a morning or late evening sit when they would not be working.

A lot of people still seem to think it is ok to pay a baby sitter $3 per hour too. You will get what you pay for. If you want a person who sees their time as worth only $3 an hour responsible for the life and well being of your kids - - go for it. Generally I think babysitting is worth At least $10 per hour for one or two kids, more for more.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Church.

Bulletin boards at the local grocery.

look for ads in the paper.

Put an ad in the paper.

We found that most adults who are willing to take on hit or miss work for $5 to $10 an hour usually have something wrong with them. We prefer the college students or high school students. Get one who has demonstrated responsibility (i.e. Honor roll, putting together a charity event or something similar). Even with college students you have to wonder why they do not have a steady job and want to take on occasional baby sitting unless it is a morning or late evening sit when they would not be working.

A lot of people still seem to think it is ok to pay a baby sitter $3 per hour too. You will get what you pay for. If you want a person who sees their time as worth only $3 an hour responsible for the life and well being of your kids - - go for it. Generally I think babysitting is worth At least $10 per hour for one or two kids, more for more.
Yeah that boggles me too. On a "mommy" board i'm a member of, someone asked what people pay.. and atleast half the responses were under 10 an hour (most being $3 a kid). Not worth it to me. My friend has an in-home certified daycare and only charges 10/hr for my kiddo. More than worth it to me. But when we used care.com we paid up to 15/hr.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
When my kids were little, our local "Y" had a teen job service. If you were looking for a babysitter, you could post with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Yeah that boggles me too. On a "mommy" board i'm a member of, someone asked what people pay.. and atleast half the responses were under 10 an hour (most being $3 a kid). Not worth it to me. My friend has an in-home certified daycare and only charges 10/hr for my kiddo. More than worth it to me. But when we used care.com we paid up to 15/hr.
I am clueless as to going rates these days. People do seem far more willing to pay a teen decent money to mow the lawn than to babysit the kids. The situation of a day care mom is different than occasional babysitting. Most day care moms have more than one kid in their charge, so they don't need to charge as much per hour. $10/hr is a good chunk of many people's paycheck.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my kids were little, our local "Y" had a teen job service. If you were looking for a babysitter, you could post with them.

I am clueless as to going rates these days. People do seem far more willing to pay a teen decent money to mow the lawn than to babysit the kids. The situation of a day care mom is different than occasional babysitting. Most day care moms have more than one kid in their charge, so they don't need to charge as much per hour. $10/hr is a good chunk of many people's paycheck.
The going rate in my neighborhood for babysitters is $8-$12 per hour for up to two kids and then $3 per each additional kid. The high school kids all generally ask in the $8-$10 range while college students and adults ask in the $10-$12 range. That's based on what I know friends of ours pay. The day's of $5 an hour babysitting are long since over.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
i use care.com.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The going rate in my neighborhood for babysitters is $8-$12 per hour for up to two kids and then $3 per each additional kid. The high school kids all generally ask in the $8-$10 range while college students and adults ask in the $10-$12 range. That's based on what I know friends of ours pay. The day's of $5 an hour babysitting are long since over.
Oh, I'm sure of that! That's why I said I didn't know the rates these days.

I just had another idea, OP. Does your neighborhood have an email group or newsletter? You could always advertise there. My daughter got a lot of babysitting jobs by announcing her availability that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting