Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 05:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Parents should let their kids do what ever they want. They're just exploring! Manners are ridiculous. How are we expected to know all these hidden social rules? We aren't! Parents, NEVER TELL A KID WHAT TO DO, UNLESS IT COULD RISK THEIR SAFETY! For instance, you should tell a kid "COME BACK HERE" in a loud voice when they cross a street without looking both ways.

But back on topic, it is the waiter's JOB to clean up after people. People COME to restaurants so they aren't cooking or cleaning. Don't, and I repeat DON'T make a big deal out of it. Don't even say "Sorry" to the waiter. Just let a kid do what they want, because making a mess on the floor does not risk their safety. Also, tipping is ridiculous, because it is WASTED MONEY.
When do you go back to school?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
Parents should let their kids do what ever they want. They're just exploring! Manners are ridiculous. How are we expected to know all these hidden social rules? We aren't! Parents, NEVER TELL A KID WHAT TO DO, UNLESS IT COULD RISK THEIR SAFETY! For instance, you should tell a kid "COME BACK HERE" in a loud voice when they cross a street without looking both ways.

But back on topic, it is the waiter's JOB to clean up after people. People COME to restaurants so they aren't cooking or cleaning. Don't, and I repeat DON'T make a big deal out of it. Don't even say "Sorry" to the waiter. Just let a kid do what they want, because making a mess on the floor does not risk their safety. Also, tipping is ridiculous, because it is WASTED MONEY.
Love it! A prime example of how a lot of the parents on this thread come across. I'm assuming you DID mean this to be satirical, right?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I would never do this to my toddler.
How in the world is a toddler going to make the a connection that removing him from the table, bringing him to another location, and giving him a "swift smack on the rear" is a direct result of him making a mess!?!?
Terrible advice.
And for the record, kids that age aren't making a mess to because they are deviant little demon spawns.
They're eating the only way they know how.
Toddlers lack the fine motor schools to eat the same way adults do.
Corporal punishment isn't going to change that.
And this is why it is their parents' responsibility to

(a) make sure they are not given foods that are going to make a mess that the parents can't clean up themselves;

(b) clean up the extra mess their toddler made themselves rather than expecting anyone else to do it even for a larger tip, and

(c) teach their toddler how to manage not to make mess while at home rather than using the restaurant, the time of the wait staff spent cleaning up an extra mess, and the other patrons of the restaurant as a schooling experience for their toddler.

As someone said, when you have children, you find yourself doing things you never thought you would do. That sometimes includes not going out to eat at a nice restaurant and cleaning up after your own toddler yourself when you do.

And if you're absolutely convinced that crumbling crackers and letting them fall to the floor is "what toddlers do", you simply do not give the toddler crackers. I say once again, it's not rocket science (or brain surgery), folks. And while your universe may (rightfully) revolve around your toddler and their whims, the rest of the world's does not, and shouldn't be expected to.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Love it! A prime example of how a lot of the parents on this thread come across.
I know you may want it to be so, but it isn't. There are no parents on this thread saying junior can make an almighty mess and they don't care. None.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And this is why it is their parents' responsibility to

(a) make sure they are not given foods that are going to make a mess that the parents can't clean up themselves;

(b) clean up the extra mess their toddler made themselves rather than expecting anyone else to do it even for a larger tip, and

(c) teach their toddler how to manage not to make mess while at home rather than using the restaurant, the time of the wait staff spent cleaning up an extra mess, and the other patrons of the restaurant as a schooling experience for their toddler.

As someone said, when you have children, you find yourself doing things you never thought you would do. That sometimes includes not going out to eat at a nice restaurant and cleaning up after your own toddler yourself when you do.

And if you're absolutely convinced that crumbling crackers and letting them fall to the floor is "what toddlers do", you simply do not give the toddler crackers. I say once again, it's not rocket science (or brain surgery), folks. And while your universe may (rightfully) revolve around your toddler and their whims, the rest of the world's does not, and shouldn't be expected to.
I never took her to a "nice" restaurant. There are family restaurants that understand perfectly that a 13 month old BABY might make a mess while eating.

It's not rocket science nor brain surgery that there are times you when you're either away from home or have guests that dining out is a necessity, yes even for kids under two.

There is nothing about this that is self absorbed or world revolving around. It's just life.

And honestly, if someone wise chooses to take their child out and has taken care of the waitstaff and does not want to root around on the floor cleaning up, then that's absolutely none of your business.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
If you have a restaurant that has high chairs and caters to families, they would much rather you came in and made a mess on the floor than stay home and they lose out on a 30 dollar plus plus check.

Restaurants are businesses. They don't mind cleaning up as long as you are not just trashing the place on purpose, and as long as you pay the bill and tip the staff.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
If you have a restaurant that has high chairs and caters to families, they would much rather you came in and made a mess on the floor than stay home and they lose out on a 30 dollar plus plus check.

Restaurants are businesses. They don't mind cleaning up as long as you are not just trashing the place on purpose, and as long as you pay the bill and tip the staff.
Yes. And those who just dislike children or going out to restaurants and having to deal with people, are free to eat in non-family friendly restaurants (there are plenty) or to stay home and not have the potential for being annoyed at anyone.

Most parents do their best to minimize any imposition on other patrons and/or staff. It is not always possible to be invisible though.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,875 times
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
Please. Tell me what this magical, mess proof food is. My 19 month needs to be cleaned extensively after every meal, as does his eating space, no matter what he eats. I would LOVE to know what food he can not crumble / smash / squeeze / spill / grab in his fist / chew up and spit out. This would make my life infinitely easier.

We already do this, as stated in a prior post.

This is a process. Why should we be forced into solitary confinement because we have a toddler? How will he ever learn the norms and customs involved in eating in public (ie: how not to make a mess) if he never experiences it?

And if you're absolutely convinced that crumbling crackers and letting them fall to the floor is "what toddlers do", you simply do not give the toddler crackers.
Sooooo I should not feed my child a food he actually likes (and these are few & far between these days) because it makes crumbs or a mess?!? Again, what foods will this leave left?

I say once again, it's not rocket science (or brain surgery), folks. And while your universe may (rightfully) revolve around your toddler and their whims, the rest of the world's does not, and shouldn't be expected to.
I don't see people in this thread claiming the world revolves around their children and/or their whims.

Last edited by HeatherLynn822; 07-25-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
People might not realize that food like crackers/cheerios etc are often given to a toddler who is hungry but the food has not yet arrived and they are too young to color on paper placemats. Trust me, a toddler happily (if messily) eating crackers is preferable to a hungry, bored and crabby toddler.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
Quote:
That sometimes includes not going out to eat at a nice restaurant and cleaning up after your own toddler yourself when you do.
We choose not to go to restaurants most of the time.

But when we do, and our kid leaves a mess, I don't have any way of cleaning it effectivity. It's crumbs that are the problem. She makes a mess and it's all crumbs. I can't clean crumbs off the table without making a scene unless I have a vacuum with me.

Eating out with family is even more problematic. When there are 5 others with us also eating, how are we supposed to clean up after dinner and still enjoy spending time with the family. We come and leave as a group. The bill is usually around $150 for the 5 or 7 of us to go. Would the restaurant really prefer to not serve us (and not get our $150) than to use the vacuum for a quick vacuum after the meal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting