Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am the same race as my parents, but I got odd looks all the time. I was a blue eyed blonde in a family with brown eyes and black or dark brown hair.
I was the only green eyed blond in my family. My parents and siblings all had dark hair and eyes, except for my dad's blue eyes. The family joke was I was the garbage man's daughter. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
My husband has native american in his family tree. He has dark hair, dark brown eyes and olive skin. I am extremely fair, blue eyed with dark brown hair. I look Irish. My son looks just like my husband but I knew he would as most darker genes take over. When my son was little people told me he looked like little Ricky Richardo (from I love Lucy). I have had people tell me my son didnt look like me but never went as far as saying he wasn't mine. Now that he is at teenager my son says a lot of the kids at his school tell him he looks Jewish. Funny how people try to guess his ethnic background but no one has ever guessed he has Native American in him. I dont really care to be honest. Im glad he can tan.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
I think it's fairly common regardless of race. My daughter has the pale skin, red hair and freckles associated with her Irish heritage, her dad has the dark swarthy looks of his Italian grandparents, they look absolutely unrelated.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The family joke was I was the garbage man's daughter. LOL
Milkman for me!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
I got the milkman jokes, too, being a fair-skinned, blue-eyed blonde in a family of brunettes. Didn't bother me most of time; the only time I got really upset was when I was about 7 and we visited one of my Dad's co-workers. The wife looked at my brother and sister, looked at me, and then said, "Oh, you brought a friend!"

Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Apparently the neighborhood garbage man was eye candy all the SAHMs peeked at through their windows to catch a glimpse of his muscles. I never minded that I didn't look like my family. I was very proud of my green eyes and blonde hair. I remember ONCE someone saying I looked like my father. I burst into tears. I never looked remotely like my father. She thought she was being kind. I thought she was saying I looked like a boy. LOL

Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I got the milkman jokes, too, being a fair-skinned, blue-eyed blonde in a family of brunettes. Didn't bother me most of time; the only time I got really upset was when I was about 7 and we visited one of my Dad's co-workers. The wife looked at my brother and sister, looked at me, and then said, "Oh, you brought a friend!"
Are you SURE?

I have four daughters. Sometimes in public, engaging people might ask "Oh, are those (is she) your daughters?" to which I respond "Probably, they do show up on my taxes as dependents but I never took a blood test so I really don't know for sure...."

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM

18 posts, read 23,095 times
I always joke that my daughter, fortunately, got her dad's looks and my intelligence, to which her dad jokes, "Poor girl!"

I have a friend with dark hair and eyes and olive complexion. Her daughter has blonde hair and blue eyes. Whenever my friend and I took our daughters out together, people would think hers was mine and mine hers.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
This subject comes up in adoption circles all the time. I have one bio son who looks so much like me it is scary. Put a wig on him and some falsies and it would be hard to tell us apart. I too looked incredibly like my own mother and even had the same voice so that people always got us mixed up on the phone. I got tired of being told how much I looked like mother but my son thinks it's funny. Now that he's a grown man and I've gained some post menopausal weight he doesn't get it so much.

We also have 3 adopted daughters, one from Korea and 2 from Vietnam. If I had the kids together some would ask "are they all adopted?" One time while I was with the little Korean baby a white lady came up and said "She's so cute. She must look like her Daddy"

To which I responded "I don't know. I didn't get a good look at his face".

Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

To which I responded "I don't know. I didn't get a good look at his face".
Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting