Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM

90 posts, read 101,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again, you have no idea if you were correct or not. None of us do.

What are you talking about? How is letting a child who has had a fall or a disease ride the elevator or :gasp:: picking them up, instead of making them walk up the stairs make them an ego extension?

Wait, it doesn't. I have no idea what axe you have to grind, but its showing.
So that father who gently told his crying child that he must walk is indeed a monster because the kid was diseased?

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 08-28-2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Name calling

Old 08-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
Some people can rationalize all they want. Kids today do not get enough exercise on a daily basis.
And, may I venture to say, SUV's are big fat gas hogs.
Have a nice day!
Tee hee... Ain't that the truth.

I actually live with rabid exercisers, though. We have a very walkable town and many parents are militant about their kids exercising. It's an affluent area with old school values. Good mixture. Some of the upscale communities are nouveau riche and very into spoiling kids.

I lived in a working-class before this one so I got to see both sides. Practically NO ONE walked their kids to school, to say anything about exercising with their children. And many were overweight/obese. Parents and kids. I realize that the stay-at-home situation figures into this but there are always ways to get in exercise. You can walk with your kids to the store rather than take the big metal box.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,791,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
So that father who gently told his crying child that he must walk is indeed a monster because the kid was diseased?
No, he was not a monster. In all likelihood he is a caring parent who knows what his child is going through. If he had decided his child should ride the elevator, he is still likely just as good a parent who knows what his child is going through.

WHICH YOU DO NOT.

You have no idea what is going on, but you assumption that if he had picked up his child or put him in a stroller that would make him a bad parent is the idea that is actually on "acid".

Last edited by Jaded; 08-28-2013 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and reference

Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,524,529 times
Quote:
there are always ways to get in exercise.

Yes....yes there are. And just because you don't observe your neighbors doing them doesn't mean they don't happen.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes....yes there are. And just because you don't observe your neighbors doing them doesn't mean they don't happen.
Touche. Point taken.

I just wish we could discuss these issues without any accusations of putting down parents. Not my intention in the least. Even those parents who "spoil" their kids do so out of love.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Touche. Point taken.

I just wish we could discuss these issues without any accusations of putting down parents. Not my intention in the least. Even those parents who "spoil" their kids do so out of love.
And I wish people would stop making assumptions about people they know nothing about.

BTW, I had a neighbor years ago whose son was eventually diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. When he was 2 he was over 3.5 ft tall. He looked to be 5 at least. He was frequently in a stroller, as he would say that his legs hurt. Perfect strangers would berate his mother on the street for not "making him walk" and for allowing him to use diapers. When, ultimately, it was none of their darn business.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And I wish people would stop making assumptions about people they know nothing about.

BTW, I had a neighbor years ago whose son was eventually diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. When he was 2 he was over 3.5 ft tall. He looked to be 5 at least. He was frequently in a stroller, as he would say that his legs hurt. Perfect strangers would berate his mother on the street for not "making him walk" and for allowing him to use diapers. When, ultimately, it was none of their darn business.
That is just plain awful to berate strangers for any reason. I didn't do that. But I would like to be able to DISCUSS it on here without being berated either!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,524,529 times
Quote:
Touche. Point taken.

The best way to accomplish that is to avoid making judgements about parents (or anyone really) based on an observation on one small part of their lives. And then posting with sweeping disdain for these same strangers.

Live your life. Be happy. Offer to help others. Much better way to go through life.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
That is just plain awful to berate strangers for any reason. I didn't do that. But I would like to be able to DISCUSS it on here without being berated either!
You are making snap judgements based on a tiny portion of their lives.

If you want to talk about children not getting enough exercise than maybe don't open with a thread about how parents shouldn't drive kids to school (because in this day and age it is undeniably safer than walking) or how they allow children to use strollers (when you have no idea why they are doing that).

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,962,255 times
Quote:
"Make" is too strong a word but I don't know how else to say it. I see kids that seem to be three or so and still pushed in strollers.

I was at a Border's once and heard loud crying. The father was telling his son that they would NOT be taking the elevator and that he had to walk and the son wanted to be picked up.

It was one flight of stairs.

I have witnessed this more than once and I applaud parents who break the habit of carrying or pushing kids who should be exercising their legs!
Why do you care what other people do? Mind your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting