Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
"Make" is too strong a word but I don't know how else to say it. I see kids that seem to be three or so and still pushed in strollers.

I was at a Border's once and heard loud crying. The father was telling his son that they would NOT be taking the elevator and that he had to walk and the son wanted to be picked up.

It was one flight of stairs.

I have witnessed this more than once and I applaud parents who break the habit of carrying or pushing kids who should be exercising their legs!
Quote:
It's not just about the strollers, though. Where I live I see parents walking their kids to school and not dropping them off in SUVs. There is a big fitness thing around here. People are health-conscious and jog/walk/bike all the time.

I think maybe there are two elements to this: spoiling the kids and/or keeping them dependent. After all, when you walk around, you are becoming a separate being. At age 2 children are ambulatory. And they begin to assert themselves as individuals. Perhaps to discourage this, some parents want to keep them babies and under their control.
I think you are doing an awful lot of assuming. as well as making a mountain out of a molehill.

Maybe the kid who was carried down the stairs had already walked a lot that day and was tired. Maybe he is slow on stairs, as most toddlers are. Maybe the people dropping their kids off in cars are on their way to work or errands. Who are you to say the kids "should" be walking?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM

90 posts, read 101,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Or their parents are dropping them off while on their way to work or somewhere else. And what difference does what the parents are driving matter? If they were being dropped off in convertibles what would that indicate?
LOL--I live amid a sea of SUVs so that is why I said that instead of simply a car. And you are right--there are definitely people who must go to work and therefore don't have the luxury of walking their kids to school. I live in an affluent area with lots of stay-at-home moms very similar to the 1950s and '60s. I went to elementary school in the 1970s and was a latchkey kid. I also walked myself to school.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think you are doing an awful lot of assuming. as well as making a mountain out of a molehill.

Maybe the kid who was carried down the stairs had already walked a lot that day and was tired. Maybe he is slow on stairs, as most toddlers are. Maybe the people dropping their kids off in cars are on their way to work or errands. Who are you to say the kids "should" be walking?
In terms of the crying boy, are you suggesting his father abused him by gently and firmly telling him he had to walk upstairs?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,294,241 times
You know when I waited tables I knew some girls from Bulgaria, and they never understood why we would use strollers, or pick up toddlers. In their culture, once you could walk, you did. Sorry for that pointless tidbit of knowledge .

Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Quote:
LOL--I live amid a sea of SUVs so that is why I said that instead of simply a car. And you are right--there are definitely people who must go to work and therefore don't have the luxury of walking their kids to school. I live in an affluent area with lots of stay-at-home moms very similar to the 1950s and '60s. I went to elementary school in the 1970s and was a latchkey kid. I also walked myself to school.
Yes well I'll just go with what Kibbiekat said. Lots of assuming going on here and as long as you feel good about the choices you are making in your family and your life, no need to judge others for their choices. None of us know the whole picture behind another person's choices - and yes, some may just be lazy and spoiled. Meh...that usually comes around to bite them at some point. Their problem, not mine.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:

I was at a Border's once and heard loud crying. The father was telling his son that they would NOT be taking the elevator and that he had to walk and the son wanted to be picked up.
Borders closed two years ago. Interesting you can't think of a more recent example if this is such a pervasive problem to you.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
Quote:
In terms of the crying boy, are you suggesting his father abused him by gently and firmly telling him he had to walk upstairs?
No. Maybe I misread. I thought you were complaining that the dad didn't make him walk.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Re the little kid and Borders....little kids LOVE taking the elevator. It's generally more about pushing the button than about laziness and sloth.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Re the little kid and Borders....little kids LOVE taking the elevator. It's generally more about pushing the button than about laziness and sloth.
I love taking the eleveator.

You walk into a box. Push a button and wait. When the doors open you are in a totally different place.

Awesome.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
You know when I waited tables I knew some girls from Bulgaria, and they never understood why we would use strollers, or pick up toddlers. In their culture, once you could walk, you did. Sorry for that pointless tidbit of knowledge .
It is NOT pointless. That is precisely my point! I feel that many adults don't walk and pass on that habit to their kids.

YES, some parents have to work and cannot take their kids to school on foot. But could parents coordinate with other parents to have one parent walk with a bunch of kids of working parents? And in less high-crime areas, why not just let your kids walk to school, especially if it's only four or five blocks away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting