Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times

Advertisements

I would absolutely opt out. These "standardized tests" do nothing and prove nothing. All it does is make the teachers waste time "teaching to the test" rather than TEACH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
I could type out a whole long post on this as standardized testing as we know it today began here in Texas when George W Bush was Governor, however I'll get to my opinion as asked. lol

I would not, and have not, opted out. I expect my children, as long as they are being taught how to take the tests along with the material on the tests, to be able to pass them without issue.

There was a brief time, probably 15+ years ago where our district put great emphasis on these tests. That only lasted a couple of years before they realized it was not the best idea. Since then they teach the students HOW to take the test because that is the difference between passing and failing. The material is, and pretty much always has been, what they already teach during the year. There is no big fuss about taking the test other than a simple reminder to get a good night sleep and eat breakfast that morning.

Now, if the were making such a huge deal out of it that nothing else mattered and were pressuring the kids so much so that they were making themselves sick with stress....then I'd likely home school them anyway.

I think that many people in the opt out movement are there to make a statement, politically inclined most often, and not so much because they think it is too hard for their child to pass.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
The students will be taught the material regardless of who opts in or out, so all opting out will do is shank the school for money. We were fortunate to be able to move to a school district we really like, so opting out wouldn't be a question for us.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I "would" theoretically, but I haven't. The scores on those tests have given me insight into my child's abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

there are some other questionable tests being given, such as personality tests, that I would more likely opt out of.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
In my state, children who perform above a certain level on standardized tests receive a reduction in tuition to the state colleges and universities, so I would not opt out based on that "perk."

Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
No. My kids have always done pretty well on standardized tests. Their peer groups also do well on standardized tests.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,142,209 times
No, I don't see any reason to opt out.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
I would have said no to opting out until I had a child who sucks (!) at standardized tests. I was awesome at them, I relied on testing to get me into an excellent private high school and a top rated college. My son scores great on them, but my daughter is a terrible standardized test taker.

My kids take the Iowa test every year and every year my daughter bombs, particularly the math section but other sections too. We have a meeting with the principal (2nd year of this now) and they do a full assessment (which isn't timed) and she performs a few years above grade level. I know from working with her that she's fine but unfortunately getting into one of our local magnet programs or good private high schools is going to be difficult for her because while she's an excellent student, she tests poorly. Thinking about the SAT is terrifying.

So if it was an option for us I would have her opt out, but it isn't because they attend a private school.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
No, mostly for the reasons Hedgehog_Mom gives.

When my kids were in K-12, these tests had nothing to do with their grades anyway. The schools need all the money they can get. Some parents in the "intellectual" part of our district were keeping their kids out in large numbers, and the school board even got involved and told them to find a different way to protest, that their actions were just hurting the schools.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Absolutely. The only way this testing reform disaster will ever end is if parents finally stand up to politicians, and if everyone opts out, then the madness will have to stop. Probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting