Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I remember my daughter having a sleep regression at around 6 months and just before that (maybe overlapping) she was having much less milk than normal (refused to BF except in the shower or at night whereas before she was BFing loads).

Definitely second the recommendation of reading the wonder weeks stuff - was pretty precise for my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:25 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What about allergies to the cereal or formula? My grandson got very gassy and stopped eating. He would wake up at night hungry but didn't want to eat because of the gas. She switched his formula to a nonallergen type and it fixed it.

We've been using the same formula since she was born (wife didn't breast feed). It took us a few weeks to determine what she liked and didn't like and the Similac has been great. We have noticed then when she goes X amount of time without pooping she'll really be fussy (i think we all would be too). However she's still getting her one a day in at least... but yeah since we more recently started feeding her cereal I wonder if there is something she may not be liking that could have her out of whack.

I'll monitor that... thanks for the input!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
The cereal could be upsetting her tummy, which could make her not want to eat her formula and also make it difficult to sleep. You could try cutting out the cereal for a few days and see if that helps. If it seems to make a difference, just don't use the cereal - it's not necessary. You can just feed other types of foods instead at this age.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I would keep an eye on her. It may just be a little stomach upset, maybe gassy, as someone said. I was always very attuned to my children and grandchildren and could ususally catch something pretty quickly. I wasn't an over anxious mother either....LOL. The moaning in her sleep bothers me a little and the reduction in food intake but, it may be nothing.

This is an extreme example but when my son was about 8 yrs old, he was into meningitis for a week, seeing a doctor, before he was finally diagnosed with it after a spinal tap. Now, I am not advocating that, just they aren't infallible, although, what else would they look for, right ?

A doctor diagnosed me as "an over anxious mother" when I kept insisting that "something" wasn't right about my newborn daughter. This was my third child. It turns out she was profoundly retarded and once a doctor who had worked with these children saw her, he knew immediately what was wrong. He said the mother almost always knows.....

Now, I feel bad to inject a sad or scary note and I don't mean to. I am just saying, give it some time but be aware. No one knows your child better than you do. Good luck. She sounds like a sweetheart. Just like my 2nd one....<s> He went to bed smiling and woke up laughing. I think God knew I needed some relief after my first one....she sleep 3 hours on, 3 hours off and cried the whole time she was awake.....

Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
The cereal could be upsetting her tummy, which could make her not want to eat her formula and also make it difficult to sleep. You could try cutting out the cereal for a few days and see if that helps. If it seems to make a difference, just don't use the cereal - it's not necessary. You can just feed other types of foods instead at this age.

Yes we've started doing veggies, fruits, and soon we'll be doing meats. Sometimes we mix the cereal with whatever veggie she's eating so maybe like you suggested if it persists we'll cut the ceral entirely and see what happens.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I would keep an eye on her. It may just be a little stomach upset, maybe gassy, as someone said. I was always very attuned to my children and grandchildren and could ususally catch something pretty quickly. I wasn't an over anxious mother either....LOL. The moaning in her sleep bothers me a little and the reduction in food intake but, it may be nothing.

This is an extreme example but when my son was about 8 yrs old, he was into meningitis for a week, seeing a doctor, before he was finally diagnosed with it after a spinal tap. Now, I am not advocating that, just they aren't infallible, although, what else would they look for, right ?

A doctor diagnosed me as "an over anxious mother" when I kept insisting that "something" wasn't right about my newborn daughter. This was my third child. It turns out she was profoundly retarded and once a doctor who had worked with these children saw her, he knew immediately what was wrong. He said the mother almost always knows.....

Now, I feel bad to inject a sad or scary note and I don't mean to. I am just saying, give it some time but be aware. No one knows your child better than you do. Good luck. She sounds like a sweetheart. Just like my 2nd one....<s> He went to bed smiling and woke up laughing. I think God knew I needed some relief after my first one....she sleep 3 hours on, 3 hours off and cried the whole time she was awake.....

Dont apologize for bringing in some "scary" thoughts... these things obviously happen and could come up. At this stage anything could happen and be the cause of her sudden changes. The pediatrician yesterday said that everything looks 100% normal for her and everything checks out real well... so we'll take that positive and run with it for now and monitor!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Dont apologize for bringing in some "scary" thoughts... these things obviously happen and could come up. At this stage anything could happen and be the cause of her sudden changes. The pediatrician yesterday said that everything looks 100% normal for her and everything checks out real well... so we'll take that positive and run with it for now and monitor!
Thank you for being understanding. I didn't want to come across as one of those old bitties that sat around talking about what a terrible, painful time they had during childbirth, right in front of a 1st time, newly pregnant young girl/woman.....

And, when I read your last sentence, I thought of Reagan...."trust but verify". Good luck.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Did you ask the doctor while you were there?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Did you ask the doctor while you were there?
Well of course... that's the whole reason why we went was because she hasn't been "herself" and they recommended we come in to get her checked out to be sure.

Since everything to her looked 100% normal she suggested that she could just be going through some changes and that it's completely normal. Her only recommendation at that time was to continue doing what we're doing and if problems persist or if she happened to get sick or have a fever within the next few days to call back and reschedule her to come back in.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Just a quick little update...

As the day progressed yesterday she seemed to go back to her normal self. In the morning she only ate a little bit but then by her afternoon feedings she was eating at her normal rate and taking in her usual amounts, so that was nice to see. Furthermore she was less fussy and seemed to be a lot happier again. Amazingly enough as well she probably had her best night sleep ever. We put her down at around 7PM and she only made noise ONCE that I could recall and that was at 530 am where she talked to herself for about a minute and then went quiet again. By the time I was leaving to go to work at 7AM she had finally began to wake up. So... I think the last few days of restlessness finally caught up to her... so hopefully she has a good day again today!!

Thanks all again for your replies and comments to this thread! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting