Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well i think she made some really good points -- i mean beef stew and cornbread isn't healthy. it's poverty food, filling you up on a budget, but it isn't necessarily quality food.

right but you're presenting a false dilemna. we aren't necessarily talking about poverty-level people who are trying to avoid starvation. A middle class family that feeds kids beef stew and cornbread every night will end up with fat kids.
I agree. A diet heavy in meat and potatoes killed two people in my family this year.

Cornbread mixes often contain lard. I looked up the brand in the flyer--lard AND tallow. Better to make your own from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,212,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Beef stew meat is $3.49 a pound around here. Five pounds of potatoes cost $2.50 and you wouldn't use all those in a stew. Carrots are cheap too. Onions are DIRT cheap. Throw in some frozen lima beans - those are inexpensive as well. This will make a LOT of stew - enough for a family of four to eat two meals. Add some cheap corn bread (2 batches for .88) and you've got a good meal for WAY less than a pizza, or eating burgers out, or some sort of convenience food you microwave.
Well beef stew sure is not regularly $3.49 a pound here. And potatoes are not particularly good for you. Corn bread is every bit as crappy for your as any other fast carb junk. Home made pizza can actually be quite a decent cheap meal. We tend to use any leftover veggies on ours, either pureed into the sauce or as a topping.

The thing that cracks me up about these discussions is the judgement that goes to the poor folks who cannot manage to eat right on a low budget. I am not on a low budget. We make a ton of money. But when one is trying to eat well and frugally, the missing link is time. The selective shopping, the flyer and coupon hunting, the cooking. I'd love to know where these 2 and 3 job Moms are going to get that time.

I can afford not to. I still feed my family cheap ol pasta from time to time.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree. A diet heavy in meat and potatoes killed two people in my family this year.

Cornbread mixes often contain lard. I looked up the brand in the flyer--lard AND tallow. Better to make your own from scratch.
OK - make your own from scratch. However, my point remains, which is that homemade beef stew made with fresh veggies and cornbread is HEALTHIER THAN THE OPTIONS YOU PRESENTED which were spaghettios, ramen or mac and cheese with weenies.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

Quote:
Well beef stew sure is not regularly $3.49 a pound here.
It was on sale. Buy when it goes on sale.

Quote:
And potatoes are not particularly good for you.
Potatoes and carrots and onions - that's what I listed the prices for. Please don't act like those aren't better for you than ramen or mac and cheese.

Quote:
Corn bread is every bit as crappy for your as any other fast carb junk.
Nope. Corn meal, fresh eggs, fresh milk - those aren't nearly as bad for you as a package of ramen noodles or processed carbs.

Quote:
Home made pizza can actually be quite a decent cheap meal. We tend to use any leftover veggies on ours, either pureed into the sauce or as a topping.
Right on.

Quote:
The thing that cracks me up about these discussions is the judgement that goes to the poor folks who cannot manage to eat right on a low budget. I am not on a low budget. We make a ton of money. But when one is trying to eat well and frugally, the missing link is time. The selective shopping, the flyer and coupon hunting, the cooking. I'd love to know where these 2 and 3 job Moms are going to get that time.
Most low income families aren't comprised of a mom with three jobs. As for working full time and raising kids and cooking from scratch on a budget, it can be done - I did it myself for years. You do what you gotta do.

Quote:
I can afford not to. I still feed my family cheap ol pasta from time to time.
Me too - but not every day or even every week.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK - make your own from scratch. However, my point remains, which is that homemade beef stew made with fresh veggies and cornbread is HEALTHIER THAN THE OPTIONS YOU PRESENTED which were spaghettios, ramen or mac and cheese with weenies.
My statement was in response to your post, in which you said that cooking from scratch is cheaper than convenience foods. Ramen and boxed macaroni are cheaper than beef stew. I think you can buy two or three boxes of Great Value mac at Walmart for a dollar. Ramen on sale is five for a dollar. Cooking from scratch is rarely cheaper than buying mass-produced convenience foods, and if you want to eat healthy too it can be more expensive yet.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 AM

384 posts, read 595,273 times
It's only expensive as you make it to be. You don't have to buy MacLaren, you can buy Graco. You don't have to buy Pampers, you can buy the store brand. Your children don't have to go to the most expensive private school in town, they can go to public school. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Has helicopter parenting declined at all in the last few years due to the economy and the sheer cost of being overbearing? It's awfully expensive.

“It used to be that we let the kids go play outside any time, but now parents feel like that’s an irresponsible attitude,” says Caplan. The result? A generation that some have accused of overparenting or helicopter parenting, which comes at a price. Costly gymnastic lessons, marching band and competitive sports can not only leave kids overscheduled but they can leave parents overbudget trying to keep up."

8 Reasons Parenting Has Gotten More Expensive
Hmmm. You talk about only one reason out of the list of 8.

All of these expenses, btw, can be reduced if we want to do it. As for the particular area you address, it's a matter of priorities. Parents choose to sign their children up for these things. It's not necessarily helicopter parenting, btw, but wanting your children to have lots of opportunities to succeed.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 PM

Don't even get me started on the price of healthcare ...

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,400,472 times
I had to laugh when I saw technology listed as a reason. Why does a third grader or fifth grade need their own cellphone?

Oh and spending money on cable and video games. Are those necessities? Here's an idea. Instead of raising technology addicted little pissants who are incapable of reading, writing or speaking the English language with proficiency and who are incapable of ciritcal thinking why not raise a halfway decent human being instead?

The reason most kids suck is because their parents suck. Our society sucks when our priorities have become cellphones for third graders.

Last edited by vter; 09-26-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Trying to get around language filter

Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I had to laugh when I saw technology listed as a reason. Why does a third grader or fifth grade need their own cellphone?

Oh and spending money on cable and video games. Are those necessities? Here's an idea. Instead of raising technology addicted little pissants who are incapable of reading, writing or speaking the English language with proficiency and who are incapable of ciritcal thinking why not raise a halfway decent human being instead?

The reason most kids suck is because their parents suck. Our society sucks when our priorities have become cellphones for third graders.

I'm going to say it. If you buy your third grader a cellphone and allow him to text, play video games and eat McDonalds alll day long you're a lousy friggin parent and probably a pretty sh*** person in general.
Right on.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-26-2013 at 01:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting