Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It may not be preferable to many, but it is do-able.
It's very do-able. I grew up in a small house that had just one bathroom. It was sold just a few years ago and the buyers haven't added a bathroom. They had (last count) three kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM

5,253 posts, read 6,186,328 times
While I am not old enough to have grown up with an outhouse, I remember my friends parents remodeling their farmhouse in the 70's (they were surrounded by the suburban crawl) and for a week or two we used the old and I mean old outhouse......of course it was during the summer, but man did make me think about those olden days

A lot of us grew up with several brothers and sisters and one bathroom......my wife and I and one child I could handle.....but twin girls and one bath I cringe.

They say a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity.......and I guess the two bathroom homes were a luxury then became the norm of what a family needs. Don't get me wrong I could survive with one if need be, but I would rather not

Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,995,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How many kids do you have? A small house sounds nice, but two bathrooms are a must if you have more than two people. It's a basic rule of parenting that they will need to pee exactly when Dad is having his 30 minute evening sit on the throne, or that they'll need to pee while someone else is showering.
This is one thing that shows the difference in today's thinking more than almost anything to me. I was one of 7 kids, and we had, yes, one bathroom. There was an emergency toilet in the basement, but a relative died down there, and so none of us would use it.

My kids have each had their own bathrooms since they were potty trained. The first time they had to share was when they went away to college. I am so ready to give up the big house, and downsize to a little ranch. They can buy homes with as many bathrooms as they want, I can easily do with much less.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:26 PM

20 posts, read 16,475 times
Child expenses are going through the roof these days. There's no way 90% of parents can keep with them.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,094,951 times
I think that a lot of it has to do with having to buy your child everything (Obviously not every parent fits into this, but I've been seeing it more and more) and technology. Also, activities are much more expensive than when I was growing up. My softball league in the 90s was $30, and now it's over $100. My basketball league was about $40, and now the basketball league here is over $200.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,094,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's very do-able. I grew up in a small house that had just one bathroom. It was sold just a few years ago and the buyers haven't added a bathroom. They had (last count) three kids.
Yep. My dad's house growing up had one bathroom for five people. Most of the houses in that neighborhood still only have one bathroom as just about no one has added one one. Plenty of families with more than two kids live in those 850 square feet houses with one bathroom. The family that bought my grandparents' house there a couple years ago had three kids and was jumping for joy over the house because it was a step up from East L.A.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM

18,739 posts, read 33,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
I loved when my mom gave me her "used" SUV (2010 model). I didn't need any fancy gadgets or doohickies, just a car that ran and wasn't trashed. Best gift ever IMO, as a car was way out of my price range. I wouldn't think any kid would be dissapointed in getting a car as a hand me down.
Good heavens. I don't know if my parents ever had a car for themselves that was younger than ten years old.
When I was 19, they sold me a 10-year-old Impala for $300. After two weeks, it was stolen and it never occurred to any of us that they should give the money back or anything.

To get a 3-year-old SUV as a compromise?! No wonder people think kids are expensive, if you think they have to have cars at all!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,435,598 times
Interesting article. Too bad half or most of it won't apply to me when I become a parent

Old 09-24-2013, 04:37 PM

384 posts, read 595,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Good heavens. I don't know if my parents ever had a car for themselves that was younger than ten years old.
When I was 19, they sold me a 10-year-old Impala for $300. After two weeks, it was stolen and it never occurred to any of us that they should give the money back or anything.

To get a 3-year-old SUV as a compromise?! No wonder people think kids are expensive, if you think they have to have cars at all!
Hah, I actually wanted a 2003 Impala. The Maroone near my house had one for only $6k but my parents said that it had too many miles. The reason I got the SUV was that I was the last one to leave my parent's house and they no longer needed such a vehicle, being empty nesters.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,499,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Well, of course you can survive it if you have to...I had a couple of apartments with only one toilet, and a couple times I had to pee in the sink because hubby wouldn't vacate the throne and I couldn't wait. But ever since we had kids, we've had to have two toilets. Especially when the kids are girls and everyone gets old enough to be having periods, sometimes even with two toilets we have a line waiting to get into a bathroom.

When we looked at houses, we didn't consider any that had only a single bathroom...and believe me, we were shopping on a budget
Girls have been having periods long before multiple bathrooms became the norm. People figure out how to make it work.

If my husband had put me in a position to use the sink for a toilet simply so he could have a 1/2 hour evening constitutional, we'd be seeing either a physician or a marriage counselor before we'd be seeing a Realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting