Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,215,236 times

Advertisements

It will soon become apparent that there are no longer enough jobs in the US for 2 workers per household. Those days are over!

Look at the real unemploymnet figures. Having that little lady (or man) at home all day to do nothing but spend time on cooking cheaper but tasty meals from scratch, and all the other perks of a parent (or spouse) at home will eventually catch on. Daycare will be the next business to go into collapse. Single mothers will marry anything they can get their hands on. It ain't the 1980 - 90's anymore. Those days are gone, like it or not! And it will be that way for a long long time. I guarantee it! Skeptical? Back off the tree and look at the forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,926,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I picked up on that too, my fantasy home is a small ranch. Less to maintain, less temptation to fill it up with junk etc. I just want a small ranch, maybe 3 bedroom, one bath. You know, the basics to contain my family so we can focus on LIVING, not the house!

Bring on the 1950s "shacks"!

Also regarding another poster who mentioned the Lowes and Home Depot Craft days, I've heard neighbors say they've had a great time at those with the kids.
How many kids do you have? A small house sounds nice, but two bathrooms are a must if you have more than two people. It's a basic rule of parenting that they will need to pee exactly when Dad is having his 30 minute evening sit on the throne, or that they'll need to pee while someone else is showering.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

Oh, and as far as letting my children play outside alone, that's not going to happen. I don't want to hear some parent complaining about something my kid did. Nor, do I want some moron doing anything to my kid.
Love the priorities there...hopefully when you actually have kids the worry about them getting hurt will be the main concern, not having to hear about something your kid did.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,916,105 times
I'd rather be a helicopter parent than overly judgmental of others' parenting.

As for the issue being presented - I find that the kids pay more attention at organized sports and actually learn & grow. I try to teach them something and they're more apt to fool around. Send them out to their friends' backyard and they'll be whacking each other over the head with Michelangelo's nunchuks. We do both so I am not just forecasting here.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How many kids do you have? A small house sounds nice, but two bathrooms are a must if you have more than two people. It's a basic rule of parenting that they will need to pee exactly when Dad is having his 30 minute evening sit on the throne, or that they'll need to pee while someone else is showering.
No...more than one bathroom is a very nice convenience. Plenty of people grew up in homes with one bathroom. And survived to tell the tale.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

Oh, and as far as letting my children play outside alone, that's not going to happen. I don't want to hear some parent complaining about something my kid did. Nor, do I want some moron doing anything to my kid.
That will happen at some point regardless of whether your kids play outside alone.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,916,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No...more than one bathroom is a very nice convenience. Plenty of people grew up in homes with one bathroom. And survived to tell the tale.
We just moved from a house with 1 bathroom. Because it had just 1 bathroom. What a nightmare. My wife had to walk downstairs in the middle of the night just to go. And while pregnant. At least I could hold it in. Sure people survive it, but do you really want to? Also was very hard to sell.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We just moved from a house with 1 bathroom. Because it had just 1 bathroom. What a nightmare. My wife had to walk downstairs in the middle of the night just to go. And while pregnant. Sure people survive it, but do you really want to?
I agree that it is nice - and would be important to me. But I was responding to the poster who called it a "must have". Plenty of people live in homes with one bathroom and more than 2 people. Our expectations have changed - my parents grew up in homes with one bathroom. I've lived in homes with just one bathroom. Is it sometimes inconvenient? Of course. But people do it. Just like some families get by with one car, or use a laundromat instead of having their own washer-dryer.....or don't have cable....people make all kinds of choices to live where and how they want to live or because of budget constraints. It may not be preferable to many, but it is do-able.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM

741 posts, read 1,290,770 times
OKOK, how about a comprimse, one full bath and one closet with a toilet in it, voila!!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I agree that it is nice - and would be important to me. But I was responding to the poster who called it a "must have". Plenty of people live in homes with one bathroom and more than 2 people. Our expectations have changed - my parents grew up in homes with one bathroom. I've lived in homes with just one bathroom. Is it sometimes inconvenient? Of course. But people do it. Just like some families get by with one car, or use a laundromat instead of having their own washer-dryer.....or don't have cable....people make all kinds of choices to live where and how they want to live or because of budget constraints. It may not be preferable to many, but it is do-able.
Well, of course you can survive it if you have to...I had a couple of apartments with only one toilet, and a couple times I had to pee in the sink because hubby wouldn't vacate the throne and I couldn't wait. But ever since we had kids, we've had to have two toilets. Especially when the kids are girls and everyone gets old enough to be having periods, sometimes even with two toilets we have a line waiting to get into a bathroom.

When we looked at houses, we didn't consider any that had only a single bathroom...and believe me, we were shopping on a budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting