Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 06:08 AM

179 posts, read 304,233 times

Advertisements

Hello! My son goes to a preschool and he has another kid in his class (I’d assume 3) whose dad picks him up in a car without a car seat. Even worse, he is riding in the front seat. To make matters even worse, i think this boy has a younger brother who is also in that car without a car seat. I did some digging on the father and it turns out he is a cop. Do I report this guy to authorities and the school? I’ve noticed this many times now , it’s not an isolated incident.

Note that I’m on Long Island, which is where we had the story of Thomas Valva, who was neglected until he died from his NYPD father Michael. The theory is that because he was NYPD, everyone pushed the story under the rug - courts, CPS, local law enforcement, etc. I don’t think the situation I’m describing is the same but it does speak to the futility of reporting…

As a fellow parent, what do you think ?

Old 12-17-2022, 06:17 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Have you talked to the father about it? Maybe suggest local resources where he could get one free/cheap in case that is a contributing factor.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:21 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Hello! My son goes to a preschool and he has another kid in his class (I’d assume 3) whose dad picks him up in a car without a car seat. Even worse, he is riding in the front seat. To make matters even worse, i think this boy has a younger brother who is also in that car without a car seat. I did some digging on the father and it turns out he is a cop. Do I report this guy to authorities and the school? I’ve noticed this many times now , it’s not an isolated incident.

Note that I’m on Long Island, which is where we had the story of Thomas Valva, who was neglected until he died from his NYPD father Michael. The theory is that because he was NYPD, everyone pushed the story under the rug - courts, CPS, local law enforcement, etc. I don’t think the situation I’m describing is the same but it does speak to the futility of reporting…

As a fellow parent, what do you think ?
I think I rode in the front seat when I was one years old, without even a seat belt. Why, there were no seat belts.....I survived the horror. I may have gotten car sick however. I will say I'm 65 years old which should tell you a lot.....buy the kid a car seat for Christmas. Otherwise dad might make your life miserable.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:31 AM

I could probably try to talk to him, but there’s no way he can’t afford it. His salary is public record and he makes over 150k per year. I could afford two car seats when I made half that. But if it’s been weeks and he hasn’t done it, then I’ll know he doesn’t care.

I’m 36 and rode in the front when I was under 3 but the demographics have changed as have the laws. You can bet as an ordinary citizen if I drove by my local precinct with my kids (both are under 7) riding shotgun I’d be thrown the book and would probably lose my kids to foster care.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:44 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
I could probably try to talk to him, but there’s no way he can’t afford it. His salary is public record and he makes over 150k per year. I could afford two car seats when I made half that. But if it’s been weeks and he hasn’t done it, then I’ll know he doesn’t care.

I’m 36 and rode in the front when I was under 3 but the demographics have changed as have the laws. You can bet as an ordinary citizen if I drove by my local precinct with my kids (both are under 7) riding shotgun I’d be thrown the book and would probably lose my kids to foster care.
Is the Dad driving a cop car or family car? Are you sure there's no car seat in the front. How close have you've gotten to his car to see? A cop car's front passenger seat area can be quite busy looking with computer monitors and such and could obscure the car seat. Also plexiglass could be mounted between the front a back seats, in which case the reason the Dad is placing the child in the front.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Is the Dad driving a cop car or family car? Are you sure there's no car seat in the front. How close have you've gotten to his car to see? A cop car's front passenger seat area can be quite busy looking with computer monitors and such and could obscure the car seat. Also plexiglass could be mounted between the front a back seats, in which case the reason the Dad is placing the child in the front.
It’s a personal/private car, doesn’t have the attributes to work as an official police car be it for uniform or undercover. Pretty sure the tint is illegal too, very dark. Normally I don’t go “Karen” on people but all of this is so egregious.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:22 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Get the license plate# and report it anonymously.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:10 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Between the lack of car seats and the dark tinted windows, this particular cop sounds like he feels he's above the law. He sounds like the type that would not take kindly to being confronted about it. My first step would be to inform the director of the preschool about this. Maybe they have policies on how to deal with it. And given that the director would have the ability to make this guy's life difficult (by, for example, removing the child from the program if need be), he might be more inclined to listen.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I personally wouldn't bring it up with the father. I'd also be hesitant to bring it up to the preschool. You don't know the relationship he has with the school. You also don't know if this is something the school would be required to report to CPS in NY. It's kind of a gray area for neglect reporting.

I would take the suggestion above and report it anonymously to the local police department or CPS.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:

I would take a picture, print it out, and send it to the LOCAL fire station
Why —because firemen aren’t as to,errant of cops who break the rules
Because u can’t be traced for blowback
Because firemen take car seat use seriously—their EMTs deal with car accidents involving kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting