Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM

399 posts, read 685,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Your son is becoming an independent person, with his own opinions. At his age, it helps him to get in touch with a need to feel separate and independent from his parents, by arguing with them. He needs to assert his own ideas which are contrary to his parents, and think this through for himself.
It's really a good thing!
I`m on my last teenager now. I guess I`ve gotten used to it.

Yeah. I know I used to do that, too. Perhaps I'm having a hard time adjusting to that. I just am not ready for all this! What happenened to my little boy?! I think I am having anxiety thinking of him going off to college, too. I've enjoyed parenting and this family so much, I don't want to see it change! I know I'm going to have to accept it...sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:22 PM

13,441 posts, read 9,968,878 times
There's nothing wrong with arguing, if you can keep it civil.

Especially with young adults, it helps clarify thoughts and opinions that a person needs to have in order to navigate their life and conscience.

It's how people figure out where they stand. It's nice if you can admit you're wr.. wr.. wr ...ong once in a while. But that's difficult for just about everyone.

If you can keep a level head, enjoy it. It means your kid is coming into his own. If it gets annoying, just agree. That'll shut it down pretty quickly.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,868,233 times
Default sad to see them change

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Yeah. I know I used to do that, too. Perhaps I'm having a hard time adjusting to that. I just am not ready for all this! What happenened to my little boy?! I think I am having anxiety thinking of him going off to college, too. I've enjoyed parenting and this family so much, I don't want to see it change! I know I'm going to have to accept it...sooner or later.
It can be sad sometimes. Little kids are so sweet. Just as the kids are moving into a different stage of life, so are we, the parents. It can take some planning. What would you like to do next that would be satisfying? Think about it. Hopefully after a while it won't be as painful.

One thing I do insist on with my kids, though, when they disagree with me is to do so with respect; to "remember who (they're) talking to" (their mom!). I find it interesting to have discussions as long as they can be civil. If they can't, end of discussion-- and they'll be sure to know why. As others have noted, sometimes the hormone changes make civility more of a challenge. But at the same time, we are teaching them how to get along with others respectfully.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 PM

I do admit when I'm wrong-quite often. I have no problem saying 'hey, my bad!'

We are a tight knit family. Even my son has said he wants things to stay the way they are now and not change! Him going to school and working for us.

Not sure why I'm getting all the rap about always being right. It wasn't just about Rudolph, as I said in my opening post-it was all holiday music. But as far as Rudolph, it is a holiday/christmas song, whether christian or pagan, it is played with all other holiday/christmas music, which is what I was originally referring to. As far as others wanting or not wanting to hear it, I never stated a position on that other than there probably is people who don't want to hear it, which is fair to say,no?

I surely didn't mean all this fuss. I do believe there are kinder ways to discuss topics than slamming people. (not intended for you FinsterRurus)

Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
It can be sad sometimes. Little kids are so sweet. Just as the kids are moving into a different stage of life, so are we, the parents. It can take some planning. What would you like to do next that would be satisfying? Think about it. Hopefully after a while it won't be as painful.

One thing I do insist on with my kids, though, when they disagree with me is to do so with respect; to "remember who (they're) talking to" (their mom!). I find it interesting to have discussions as long as they can be civil. If they can't, end of discussion-- and they'll be sure to know why. As others have noted, sometimes the hormone changes make civility more of a challenge. But at the same time, we are teaching them how to get along with others respectfully.

Thanks for the input. It's gonna be a tough transition, but what can I do? Can't stop time.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:41 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,087,304 times
Quote:
I need to vent! I just had the STUPIDEST argument with my 17 year old son. We had the radio on and the station was playing Christmas songs. I made the simple comment that "If you weren't Christian, and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -which he replied- this isn't Christmas music. There is nothing religious in Rudolph. I said- it is about rudolph pulling santa's sleigh on Christmas eve! and Santa comes from St. Nicholas! It is a Christmas song! It is only played during the Christmas season!! My original comment was not about rudolph- it was about all Christmas music. I tried to illustrate what I meant by saying that if I wanted to listen to country music but when I turned the radio on and there was some other religion's holiday music on I would not like it since I wanted to hear country music. So it led to him saying they don't play Christmas music in the big cities! I said that there are people of other religions everywhere not just in the city and these radio stations can be tuned in almost everywhere nowadays. Basically it boiled down to whether this is really Christmas music since they don't sing about God/Jesus and he felt it wouldn't bug anyone cuz it had a cool tune to it.
For heaven's sake- It wasn't meant to be such a literal comment that had to be proven/disproven by being so scrutinized!!!
Why is he sooooo argumentative and disagreeable??!!
Testing his independence. Removing himself from parental dominance in the only way he knows. It's perfectly normal. Find a way to constructively lead the dialog, or chill.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Already done that.

It would be great if people would realize things can change after the first post, instead of repeatedly going back to it.

But thanks for the input. I guess I have to watch what I say to him and know it will be taken much more literally than a conversation I'd have with my husband. We often make observations with each other not really expecting it to get anywhere, but just acknowledging the others thought is enough for us. I guess that's what I was expecting this morning. I really don't like having to use too much brain power at 6 a.m.!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
I like your kid.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 PM

How nice. me too!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,020,971 times
Quote:
I do admit when I'm wrong-quite often. I have no problem saying 'hey, my bad!'

We are a tight knit family. Even my son has said he wants things to stay the way they are now and not change! Him going to school and working for us.

Not sure why I'm getting all the rap about always being right. It wasn't just about Rudolph, as I said in my opening post-it was all holiday music. But as far as Rudolph, it is a holiday/christmas song, whether christian or pagan, it is played with all other holiday/christmas music, which is what I was originally referring to. As far as others wanting or not wanting to hear it, I never stated a position on that other than there probably is people who don't want to hear it, which is fair to say,no?

I surely didn't mean all this fuss. I do believe there are kinder ways to discuss topics than slamming people. (not intended for you FinsterRurus)
I know you don't want to hear this but it's very important to you that your point is heard &
agreed with...

If you use the converstation time to just listen more about his thoughts & opinions and drop the
"my point is" stuff you will enjoy your time with your son more..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting