Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM

399 posts, read 685,739 times

Advertisements

really? I didnt think it was argumentative. To state someone might not want to hear noncountry songs on a country station.

Oh well. I'm disheartened at the many attempts to bash me on here. I am not a mean hearted person. I am so saddened that people have responded with ill will.

But, I am still thankful I have managed to get through to the bottom of what was really bothering me. And now I can have a calm discussion with my son about the heart of the matter.

And to everyone- I hope you have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
really? I didnt think it was argumentative. To state someone might not want to hear noncountry songs on a country station.

Oh well. I'm disheartened at the many attempts to bash me on here. I am not a mean hearted person. I am so saddened that people have responded with ill will.
Who has? People have disagreed with you. In so doing perhaps get you to see things a different way that might allow you to enjoy the pleasant times with your son.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Christmas songs are songs that are appropriate to play and appreciated by listeners at Christmas time. It doesn't matter if they reflect any religious association with the origin of Christmas.

There are also perennial "winter" songs ("Winter Wonderland", "Let it Snow", "Метет зима", etc.) which are typically played before Christmas but not after, and they are generally regarded as Christmas Songs, even though they make no direct reference to Christmas.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-18-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
The initial statement wasn't argumentative. Engaging in an argument after he disagreed with you was argumentative. It's okay for him to disagree with you. It's okay for you to debate an issue with him. However, you shouldn't engage in debate with him if you are going to be upset by it.

Quote:
Nobody bashed you. We gave our opinions.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
I was stating that-
if you weren't Christian, would it bother you to hear Christmas songs on your country station, especially since we don't hear nonchristian songs on the same radio station throughgout the year during your (meaning other religions) celebrated times of the year?
Does that help/clarify?

This is way off my topic right now.
Except that your point isn't even true. It's not just this time of year... Country music stations play ALOT of religious songs all year long. I can't imagine that anyone who is offended by references to church, praying, God, Jesus, etc would be able to listen to very much country music...

I can think of many, many country songs -very popular ones that got a lot of airplay that aren't secular so to speak. A high percentage of country music songs have lines about God/Jesus and a great many are about God/Jesus/Faith.

"Jesus take the wheel", "Three Wooden Crosses", "I saw God today" "Don't take the girl",

10 Awesome Country Songs That Glorify God | Project Inspired

Honestly, if you were the type of person who is highly offended by mentions or songs about religion, I don't think you'd be able to go more than 15 or 20 mins listening to a country station before you'd hit a snag....

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -
Well technically nobody "has to" listen to anything on the radio. Rap music, Miley Cyrus, country music, you can get away from all of them if you really have to.

Just be thankful you didn't tell your kid something you'd really regret like "Santa is white".

Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
Didn't read through all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating something.

I go through this with my teen and she loves to debate and nitpick. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a court room with an especially observant lawyer. I think that he made an off handed comment to your original comment and then you perhaps may have took a lecturing/instructional tone that further compounded the problem....throwing fuel on the fire. I do the same thing at times and it really can make a good day into a bad one so I'm not throwing stones at you.

If I can see a casual conversation going in a direction that will turn into an ugly situation, I try to divert as much as I can. This way, I can more carefully pick my battles. Sometimes it just isn't worth arguing and I more I debate certain things with my teen, the more frustrated I become. When it comes to music, my teen loves to bash anything not of this century. Nevermind that many songs they perform in choir or one of her favorite shows (Glee) showcases classics "not of this century." I have to laugh a bit and bite my tongue. Soooo combative.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^Speaking from experience, it's very easy to get caught up in these arguments. Sometimes it does get hard to see the forest for the trees.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I need to vent! I just had the STUPIDEST argument with my 17 year old son. We had the radio on and the station was playing Christmas songs. I made the simple comment that "If you weren't Christian, and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -which he replied- this isn't Christmas music. There is nothing religious in Rudolph. I said- it is about rudolph pulling santa's sleigh on Christmas eve! and Santa comes from St. Nicholas! It is a Christmas song! It is only played during the Christmas season!! My original comment was not about rudolph- it was about all Christmas music. I tried to illustrate what I meant by saying that if I wanted to listen to country music but when I turned the radio on and there was some other religion's holiday music on I would not like it since I wanted to hear country music. So it led to him saying they don't play Christmas music in the big cities! I said that there are people of other religions everywhere not just in the city and these radio stations can be tuned in almost everywhere nowadays. Basically it boiled down to whether this is really Christmas music since they don't sing about God/Jesus and he felt it wouldn't bug anyone cuz it had a cool tune to it.
For heaven's sake- It wasn't meant to be such a literal comment that had to be proven/disproven by being so scrutinized!!!
Why is he sooooo argumentative and disagreeable??!!
I am 37 and agree with your son.
I am not a christian and xmas music doesn't bother me because so much of the good cheer and fun of the holiday is purely secularized.
I think his argument was much more sophisticated than yours and that's bugging you.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I see very little about Christmas today that reflects it's religious origin.

In our family, we have a nativity scene in our house on a desk. Other than that, there is nothing about the holiday that indicates anything relating to religion.
Well, for some people/families, Christmas is a religious celebration as well. In church, the four weeks leading up to Christmas are the Advent season, preparing for Christmas. Some go to church on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting