Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If she finds out something is wrong, like I did sixteen years ago, she will need someone to support her and to provide a second set of ears. It happens. Fortunately, not often, but please don't underestimate the potential for bad news.
Ugh. Then she can certainly phone someone if/when that happens. Is there any reason why this should be expected at this point?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You can't help her with school like you were before because.....???
Because she has shown how trustworthy she is on that regard.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Because she has shown how trustworthy she is on that regard.
But, after this experience, maybe she's grown up a little. Her finding a job is a good sign.

If it were my daughter, I'd make her support her own child, but I'd do what I was planning to do otherwise for her in terms of helping with college expenses.

I will admit I somewhat miscalculated the situation in the previous thread. I thought she was just a typical lazy teenager and might grow up on her own after a few years. Obviously the problems were far deeper.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:57 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
But, after this experience and getting a job, maybe she's grown up a little.

If it were my daughter, I'd make her support her own child, but I'd do what I was planning to do otherwise for her in terms of helping with college expenses.
I agree. And I wouldn't just write her off because of some negative past experiences. It's her first baby and she is still very young. Nothing wrong with offering to help and just being there for her.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree. And I wouldn't just write her off because of some negative past experiences. It's her first baby and she is still very young. Nothing wrong with offering to help and just being there for her.
Well, only as long as there's enough $$$ for DD2 to go to school. She'll probably get a free ride while DD1 gets nothing.

Does anyone wonder why this girl intentionally got pregnant at 19? She was desperate for love. That is so sad to me.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Yet I'm guessing you are perfectly fine with aborting the BABY?
Nope. Your guess couldn't be more wrong.

I'm the person telling the OP she needs to help her daughter so she can deliver a healthy baby. She doesn't seem very interested in that. I've not seen one post where the OP has said, "I want to make sure my grandchild is a healthy, full-term baby." Just a lot of nonsense and excuses about why she can't help do that.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If she finds out something is wrong, like I did sixteen years ago, she will need someone to support her and to provide a second set of ears. It happens. Fortunately, not often, but please don't underestimate the potential for bad news.
Agreed. It's important to have someone along for any major medical appointment. A second set of ears for ourselves, our kids, our parents is always a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You need to relax. Any of this can happen during any appointment. So, what you're saying is, she shouldn't attend any appointment alone?

And as for transportation, I don't think that is what the discussion is about. She's a big girl, now treat her like one.
Do you have a family? Did you not attend with your wife during the first ultrasound? I think it's pretty normal to bring someone along for the major appointments and the first ultrasound is a major appointment. Heck, one of the reasons we have and create families is for support during our lives.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
But, after this experience, maybe she's grown up a little. Her finding a job is a good sign.

I will admit I somewhat miscalculated the situation in the previous thread. I thought she was just a typical lazy teenager and might grow up on her own after a few years. Obviously the problems were far deeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Ivory has already said she's doing all she can to encourage dd#1 to continue to go to school. Dd#1 isn't being written off. The odds are, Dd#1 doesn't want to go to school at this point; and/or she's indicated to her mother that she's not interested in that prospect. As for the money saved for college, I personally see nothing wrong with still withholding it, but don't agree that she should just give it to her daughter right now just because she's pregnant. College is still an option down the road.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Ivory has already said she's doing all she can to encourage dd#1 to continue to go to school. Dd#1 isn't being written off. The odds are, Dd#1 doesn't want to go to school at this point; and/or she's indicated to her mother that she's not interested in that prospect. As for the money saved for college, I personally see nothing wrong with still withholding it, but don't agree that she should just give it to her daughter right now just because she's pregnant. College is still an option down the road.
My post wasn't really meant to be directed at the op. It was more in response to steelstress's posting which to me sound like he or she thinks that the op should wash her hands of the situation and her daughter and offer nothing in terms of support or help because she is "grown" and "irresponsible" and therefore doesn't deserve or need any type of support or help from her parents.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Well, it's a little too early to tell. I'd see if she can commit to one semester, then pony up for the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting