Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 51,538 times

Advertisements

I had a heck of a time with my son when he started jumping out of his crib. We got him to a toddler bed (like you did) and he would hammer his little fists on the door and cry. It was hard to leave him like that, but after a lot of books/reading/snuggling, I would kiss him goodnight and just shut the door and walk away - we had the child-proof doorknob cage. One morning, I tried to open his door and I couldn't because he was sleeping on the floor right inside of his door. Felt like "Bad Mom of the Year," because it was winter and he was so cold, but that was the last time he got out of his bed.

In my mind, the most important thing is to make SURE he can't fall out of a window. My mom works in an operating room and she says it happens a lot more than you think. Also, be sure he can't get out of the room. There was a recent funeral for a 2-year-old who got drowned in the backyard pool because his dad dozed off on the couch and the kid got out.

Good luck and stay strong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
If a 15 month old is climbing out of the crib, s/he needs a different sleeping environment. Put the mattress on the floor. It's a safety issue.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM

442 posts, read 496,820 times
I would just let him sleep with you and then move them, if need be. We co-slept until just a few years ago - my youngest was probably 5? They both sleep on their own, in their own beds now. I never forced or argued about it. It wasn't a battle I felt needed waging...I just let them take the lead. As long as everyone was sleeping, I did not care if it was in my bed, their bed, a couch, floor, or whatever. Sleep = important. Location = not.

And, I wouldn't trade the snuggling I got for those years for anything, really.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:10 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I would put a mattress on the floor and get rid of the crib pronto. I'd tough it out making him sleep in his own room.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Same here. We replaced the doorknob with a round one. Of course, that was only effective until he figured out how to pry apart the super glued, duct taped slip cover. We then flipped the handle around, which worked until he figured out how to unlock it. Some people just don't get it. Some kids aren't like the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes. Some children see every effort to child proof anything as a puzzle to be solved. Dd#1 never attempted to circumvent child proofing. Dd#2 saw every attempt as a challenge to be overcome. I thought I'd done such a great job of child proofing with dd#1. The truth is I hadn't. I just hadn't met dd#2 yet.

When dd#2 was about 2, while I was bringing in the groceries, she decided to pull all the plastic plug covers out of the sockets in the family room and proceeded to plug them into a cantaloupe. I felt like I was on sesame street ... One of these things is not like the others....

My DS was an escape artists, childproofing was a source of his entertainment - DD never tested a barrier, DS couldn't wait to see what we would come up with next.

With DS we had sleeping issues, we turned the knob around so that the lock was on our side. We didn't live in a grand mansion, if he needed us we could certainly hear him. Leaving him with the ability to leave his room at night was not an option, he would wander the house or he'd take off out the front door (we finally found a good flip lock for that after he escaped one too many times)

Some kids accept barriers, some don't. For the ones that don't, parents need to remain ever vigilant and creative. Those of you whining about fires or acting like the parents are neglectful and cruel have probably never lived with a creative, climber who loves nothing better than a good puzzle ie child proof lock of some sort to practice their ever evolving problem solving skills!

Interesting thing: DD is now 16, DS 25. DS is an excellent problem solver, has been his entire life.
DD, not so much.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
These only fit on the knob style doorknobs. I haven't seen anything for the lever style doorknobs like I have.
Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock | BabiesRUs

We used these 10 years ago on closets and things.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There are lots of reasons I think locking a child in his room is a bad idea. For one thing, it confirms that you have no control. For another, I think it would make the child feel quite insecure to know he couldn't even get to mom and dad in case of a bad dream or whatever.

What if the fire started in the kid's room?
I agree. I can't see locking kids up like some kind of caged animal. My kids never had cribs -- they eventually wanted in their own beds, if the kid has been sleeping with parents, another few months isn't going to hurt.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Safety 1st Lever Handle Lock | BabiesRUs

We used these 10 years ago on closets and things.
Cool. Never saw these when dd#2 was a baby. Dd#1 never tried to get out of her crib. We moved her to a toddler bed when I got pg with dd#2.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
Quote:
But locking them in a crib is ok? Seriously? What's the difference between a crib they can't climb out of, a crib with a tent on it so they can't get out of it or a door that is locked? Contained is contained.

A 15 month old cannot be trusted not to wander the house in the middle of the night.
No, locking them in a crib is not OK either. That is what I feel at least; personal opinion. So, since the time she expressed discomfort in the crib (around 6 months of age), we ditched the crib and bought a toddler bed for her. If she was fine sleeping in the crib, I wouldnt have bought the toddler bed so soon. But since she expressed discomfort, I bought the bed. She is so much happier since then.
Luckily for me, when she woke up, she used to cry but always remained in her bed. Never even attempted to get out of the bed. I have a baby monitor and I used (still do) to rush to her room as soon as she lets me know that she is up. Those days she used to start crying and now, she calls for me as she is 2.5 years old.

Yes, 15 months is too young to be wandering around the home in the middle of the night.

If I do get lucky and have a second baby who likes to wander around the home, I probably will get safety gates around the stair cases (the tall ones) so that she cannot get down to the ground level. The max she/he would be able to do is get out of the room and come to our room.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
What a bunch of misinformation and terrible advice... as always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting