Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM

421 posts, read 556,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have a husband like that too. Mensa IQ engineer but can't boil water!
LOL I can relate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Get a bunch of women together who are married to engineers and it is a laugh riot. We love them dearly but they really are funny and a challenge to live with.

My son has PhD in physics and is super brainy but he lacks all common sense. He really is the absent minded professor. He needs a GPS just to go 6 blocks from home.
BTW I took him to be tested when he was 14 months old and still not walking. He was slow to read and we had him repeat kindergarten because he just was not ready for first grade. He can't spell worth a hoot. But he has a scientific mind and has had since he was 4 when he wanted to dig up our recently buried pet cat to "see her skeleton bones".

Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
That Baby Can Read Program is a scam developed by Glenn Doman who used to do patterning on children with various disabilities. I have a good friend who has Cerebral Palsy who was put through that program and that was an awful scam too. Whenever she goes to a new doctor, they can see that she was part of the program right away because of involuntary movements she makes.

Psychomotor Patterning: A Critical Look

The Your Baby Can Read program went out of business and I say good riddance to them.

'Your Baby Can Read' Goes Out Of Business, Broke and Accused of Swindling Parents

Old 08-23-2014, 10:39 AM

421 posts, read 556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That Baby Can Read Program is a scam developed by Glenn Doman who used to do patterning on children with various disabilities. I have a good friend who has Cerebral Palsy who was put through that program and that was an awful scam too. Whenever she goes to a new doctor, they can see that she was part of the program right away because of involuntary movements she makes.

Psychomotor Patterning: A Critical Look

The Your Baby Can Read program went out of business and I say good riddance to them.

'Your Baby Can Read' Goes Out Of Business, Broke and Accused of Swindling Parents
Thats so sad! I hope there was a huge lawsuit at least.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Get a bunch of women together who are married to engineers and it is a laugh riot. We love them dearly but they really are funny and a challenge to live with.

My son has PhD in physics and is super brainy but he lacks all common sense. He really is the absent minded professor. He needs a GPS just to go 6 blocks from home.
BTW I took him to be tested when he was 14 months old and still not walking. He was slow to read and we had him repeat kindergarten because he just was not ready for first grade. He can't spell worth a hoot. But he has a scientific mind and has had since he was 4 when he wanted to dig up our recently buried pet cat to "see her skeleton bones".
My husband has a PhD in physics and he is far more practical than most people I know. He can fix anything. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we've had to call a repair-person. If he drives somewhere once, he can remember how to get there forever. Ditto my sons-in-law, who have engineering degrees.

I don't agree that people who are talented in one area are naturally lacking in others. Everyone is different. People have the talents they have.

@germaine-since your background is special ed, you have met a lot of outliers.

All that said, I don't believe in teaching babies to read. I also recall that "babies can do math" nonsense that was making the parenting rounds decades ago. Study Finds Babies At 5 Months Grasp Simple Mathematics - NYTimes.com One researcher said it was a stretch to call that stuff "math".

I do agree with my friend from England who said that little kids are so eager to learn, why not teach them something? Perhaps that's a different cultural perspective. She was not referring to teaching reading per se, but was commenting on the school of thought that no teaching should be done before a certain age.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
I teach preschool. This year it's the older toddlers.
Such a disappointment to parents when we tell them, " we have to focus on social skills, verbal cues, how to eat with utensils, how to recognize colors, shapes, display a good sense of themselves, confidence, empathy........
Reading, well that comes much later. BUT anything YOU do at home to introduce letter recognition is a major PLUS!!!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I teach preschool. This year it's the older toddlers.
Such a disappointment to parents when we tell them, " we have to focus on social skills, verbal cues, how to eat with utensils, how to recognize colors, shapes, display a good sense of themselves, confidence, empathy........
Reading, well that comes much later. BUT anything YOU do at home to introduce letter recognition is a major PLUS!!!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:34 PM

440 posts, read 714,357 times
Quote:
I know - I'm a female engineer and have more in common with my male colleagues than their wives, down to being the "absent-minded professor" sort.

However, guys are NOT nearly as willing to put up with geeky women. My ex-husband was only able to immigrate to the US because of my income level. He decided early on to just ride out the marriage long enough to get the proper visa, and then leave. Which he did, and left me in considerable debt.

Being a very bright woman engineer is a liability. If I could change myself to be more domestic, to knock off some of the IQ points, I would, because being single and 50 is horrible. When people met the two-year-old reading me, they'd tell me I'd go far in life. Well - academically yes, but when you're too different from the bell curve in either direction - like super tall or super short - you tend to be awkward and shunned.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
Quote:
Where did we ever get the idea that an early reader meant a kid who would excel academically?
Think it started with Baby Einstein.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My husband has a PhD in physics and he is far more practical than most people I know. He can fix anything. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we've had to call a repair-person. If he drives somewhere once, he can remember how to get there forever. Ditto my sons-in-law, who have engineering degrees.

I don't agree that people who are talented in one area are naturally lacking in others. Everyone is different. People have the talents they have.

@germaine-since your background is special ed, you have met a lot of outliers.

All that said, I don't believe in teaching babies to read. I also recall that "babies can do math" nonsense that was making the parenting rounds decades ago. Study Finds Babies At 5 Months Grasp Simple Mathematics - NYTimes.com One researcher said it was a stretch to call that stuff "math".

I do agree with my friend from England who said that little kids are so eager to learn, why not teach them something? Perhaps that's a different cultural perspective. She was not referring to teaching reading per se, but was commenting on the school of thought that no teaching should be done before a certain age.
I don't think that you have to have deficits in some areas just because you are high in other areas. What I do see is that some people push themselves or their parents push them in the areas they are already good at, and they can ignore deficits until they actually are an issue.

Someone thinks they are bad at math, so they don't ever get the foundation they need to build mathematical skills upon.

The same thing with common sense, empathy, and making friends. All children can develop these skills with support and practice. The ones who don't grow up to be adults who struggle with these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting