Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

Americans are so eager to have their kids excel to the point they will fall for every con ad they see.

Feds: Your baby can't read - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:39 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,980 times
Lol! I've seen commercials for this. Some people try to make parenting a competitive sport.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Americans are so eager to have their kids excel to the point they will fall for every con ad they see.

Feds: Your baby can't read - CBS News
It's actually harmful for a child to be taught to read before they are developmentally ready. They have so much they need to learn as toddlers, and people just want to rush them. Sure there are a few kids who are ready earlier than most, but they are not the norm.

The best things parents can do for kids is to read aloud wonderful picture books every night. Expose your young kids to books, but don't push them.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,572 times
I always figured the babies were "memorizing" the shapes in sequence. Obviously they have no foundation for true reading.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM

421 posts, read 556,212 times
I cant believe they sold so many copies.

I agree with meyerland not to push reading, or even "reading" like the babies on the tv

My son started to read at 4.5 y/o and I was like, woohoo he is going to be reading Harry potter by 6. For what ever reason, he stayed at a very basic level until 6 when he started to progress again. I think he liked to figure out the code but once he did that, he didn't have the brain development or drive to progress. Lol I'm never right.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Where did we ever get the idea that an early reader meant a kid who would excel academically? It just means he learned how to read early---and sometimes lost interest pretty early as well.

In fact sometimes it turns out that a late reader or late bloomer can be the most gifted kid in the room.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Where did we ever get the idea that an early reader meant a kid who would excel academically? It just means he learned how to read early---and sometimes lost interest pretty early as well.

In fact sometimes it turns out that a late reader or late bloomer can be the most gifted kid in the room.
If they learn to read using a less efficient neural pathway that should have been pared away in the natural course of growing up, there can be issues.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I raised a high reader and a low reader and now as adults they both love reading and it's a primary hobby. I never saw that coming with the eldest to tell you the truth, she needed tutoring just to keep up with her grade level and had to overcome a slight learning disability to do it.

I do remember the bragging parents saying how their kids read "at a "x" grade level!!" and thinking that eventually everyone will be reading at that level and they won't be special anymore. Color me right.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
But ... but ... MY baby's a genius!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:24 PM

I taught a little boy that the parents taught to "read" by age two. He had tremendous issues with reading comprehension and also socialization. He was still doing parallel play at age 5.

they could give him a college level text book and he could decode most of the words. He didn't understand it of course. This was a party trick for the parents.

He also had memorized addition facts with no real knowledge of what it meant. He couldn't even count objects to 20.

I advised the parents to back off pushing the reading, and working on comprehension through their reading aloud to him.

He actually exited kinder on level with his peers and they learned to not put the cart before the horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting