Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,353 times

Advertisements

Woah woah, that's a lot of responses in such a short time! :O

Nothing shows up on the bill for the old box (if they ask for it back, i'll gladly do so). As for the electric stuff, it seems fine, it's been unplugged for at least 48 hours now.

As for the autism thing, I've been told by some school officials (ones that i don't particularly like) that he has autism or "Aspergar" syndrome. He's 4 and he's learning on a 5th grade level in science and math (an enrichment program in our town introduced science and math to him, and he's all over it. They put him in one of the 5th grade science and math classes, and he's the highest, he's in Kindergarten)

He has tough times making friends, even in his own age group. He seems to hang out with more older kids now that i'm thinking about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie10001 View Post

Nothing shows up on the bill for the old box (if they ask for it back, i'll gladly do so). As for the electric stuff, it seems fine, it's been unplugged for at least 48 hours now.

As for the autism thing, I've been told by some school officials (ones that i don't particularly like) that he has autism or "Aspergar" syndrome. He's 4 and he's learning on a 5th grade level in science and math (an enrichment program in our town introduced science and math to him, and he's all over it. They put him in one of the 5th grade science and math classes, and he's the highest, he's in Kindergarten)

He has tough times making friends, even in his own age group. He seems to hang out with more older kids now that i'm thinking about it

One cannot usually be shocked by an electronic device unless it is plugged in and gets wet.

Just because your child excels in math and science does not mean he is not autistic hence the movie
Rain Man.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:

Your description sounds like he's on the Autism spectrum. You can have him evaluated by doctors that specialize in that field. A "school official" is not legally allowed to make a diagnosis.

Once diagnosed he'll be entitled to have an IEP from the school district & be able to obtain services to help him, i.e. speech, occupational, physical therapy, etc.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
If you can please secure the power cord so it could not wrap around his neck if he rolls over, other than that I do not see a problem with it. It will make a funny story in his later years.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

Please get an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician. He can be twice exceptional (gifted with autism). He probably will need help with social things and those are actually as important as academics.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
My daughter went through a phase where she would take canned fruit/vegetables (unopened) to bed, I think she was 3-ish. She is now 18, a freshman in college and no longer takes canned food to bed When I bring those memories up she just says 'I was so weird'!!! Don't stress over a cable box!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:

Your son could strangle on the electrical cord. Remove it one way or another--cut if off if you have to.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:57 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
If you can please secure the power cord so it could not wrap around his neck if he rolls over, other than that I do not see a problem with it. It will make a funny story in his later years.
Or cut the cord. As long as he's safe and sleeping through the night....I would just take a picture. He'll love to see it when he gets older. Sounds like a cool kid.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:

I'm surprised you took that "suggestion" so lightly.

Sleeping with the box is a rule in for this spectrum. As you see, someone nailed it three posts in. You should act SOONER than LATER on getting a diagnosis and a IEP in school.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Your description sounds like he's on the Autism spectrum. You can have him evaluated by doctors that specialize in that field. A "school official" is not legally allowed to make a diagnosis.
School officials are not legally allowed to make a diagnosis, but they are mandated by law to locate and identify children with disabilities within their district. That's quite a catch 22, especially with children on the Autism spectrum because early identification is crucial. And there are parents, like the OP, whose children wouldn't get identified if the school didn't say, "I think your son has Asperger's." They've already told her, and she has her head in the sand because he is doing some things on a 5th grade level. Of course she needs to have him evaluated by a doctor, but I suspect it's going to take many more school officials pushing her before she finally does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting