Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,676 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's a regional thing or a "I have to keep up with what Susie down the block is doing" but I'm just curious why people are putting 2 year olds in "school", cooking classes (yes we have one of those here) or day camp? A lot of this seems to be done by parents who are home with their kids as well. I'm waiting to meet someone who will just come out and say "I want 2 hours for myself." Rather then, "Oh, they need to be socialized." But I will agree that some kids could maybe benefit, but at a older age. Or maybe a lot of these activities are geared towards those with a lot of extra income laying around?

One of the biggest crocks I have been to, and sorry if this offends anyone who sends their kid there, is Gymboree. In my area it is over $100 a month to have your 6 month old, who just pooped in their diaper and is content to smile at your face all day, to "socialize." You get a stranger singing, blowing bubbles in their face and then they can crawl on a matt. Or when they are older, they can play on the same equipment they would at a park for free, while you hover over them. Yup, I went to 2 of these classes bc they offer a free trial class and it was something to do while it was raining out.

I met one mother last summer who was explaining to me why her 2 year old needed 2 hour long dance classes a week. Because it was extremely important for her 2 year old to start BALLET right away. I often feel bad bc my 3 year old doesn't have any friends her age yet. And thanks to FB, you have to start having play dates when your kid turns a month old. So, both babies can lay there staring into space together. This is the first year she will be in an organized activity and 2 days of preschool. But, if she doesn't like either, I have no qualms about pulling her out.

So, is this common among the people you know as well.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing or a "I have to keep up with what Susie down the block is doing" but I'm just curious why people are putting 2 year olds in "school", cooking classes (yes we have one of those here) or day camp? A lot of this seems to be done by parents who are home with their kids as well. I'm waiting to meet someone who will just come out and say "I want 2 hours for myself." Rather then, "Oh, they need to be socialized." But I will agree that some kids could maybe benefit, but at a older age. Or maybe a lot of these activities are geared towards those with a lot of extra income laying around?

One of the biggest crocks I have been to, and sorry if this offends anyone who sends their kid there, is Gymboree. In my area it is over $100 a month to have your 6 month old, who just pooped in their diaper and is content to smile at your face all day, to "socialize." You get a stranger singing, blowing bubbles in their face and then they can crawl on a matt. Or when they are older, they can play on the same equipment they would at a park for free, while you hover over them. Yup, I went to 2 of these classes bc they offer a free trial class and it was something to do while it was raining out.

I met one mother last summer who was explaining to me why her 2 year old needed 2 hour long dance classes a week. Because it was extremely important for her 2 year old to start BALLET right away. I often feel bad bc my 3 year old doesn't have any friends her age yet. And thanks to FB, you have to start having play dates when your kid turns a month old. So, both babies can lay there staring into space together. This is the first year she will be in an organized activity and 2 days of preschool. But, if she doesn't like either, I have no qualms about pulling her out.

Yes lots of people put their kids in organized activities very young. Yes, it is mostly for the parents but the kids mostly seem to think its fun. Kudos to you for not giving into peer pressure....but why do you care what other parents choose to do with their time?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yes lots of people put their kids in organized activities very young. Yes, it is mostly for the parents but the kids mostly seem to think its fun. Kudos to you for not giving into peer pressure....but why do you care what other parents choose to do with their time?
LOL.. I don't. I posted this to see if it was common in other places besides where I live. I posted it on the bottom of my post.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I did a little of this with my kids mostly because I was a SAHM and it got boring sometimes and it was a way to connect with other parents. I didn't spend a lot of $ though and if my kids didn't like something we stopped.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Um, I did a couple of things with my first when he was a toddler. There was a baby gym class that was mostly for moms to socialize that lasted for a few months, and there was a similar length toddler music class at the JCC. I was new to the area and didn't know many people, so it gave me something to do with my time, and I met some nice women, a couple of whom became good friends. By the time my second came along, I had a larger social circle, so I wasn't as inclined to participate in those sorts of activities. And when the third arrived, I had my hands full, so there was no way it was going to happen!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Never did a zillion activities but we did do Gymboree. The kid liked it. I LOVED it. A chance to talk to other adults! Having said that, I was never big on the toddler being enrolled in every kind of "enrichment" activity out there. Read to them, talk to them, play with them, let them play by themselves...they're learning by all of that and it doesn't have to cost much.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM

634 posts, read 708,958 times
I don't understand. I am a stay at home mother (3 kids - ages 7, 5, 2.5). Would you like for me to just stay at home all day long and not get out except to run errands or always go the parks and play areas alone?

With my oldest, I joined my 1st MPG (Mom's Play Group) when oldest DS was 1 years old. I just moved to a new town and knew no one. It was the best thing I could have done. I met wonderful women who became very good friends of mine. As a matter of fact, since 2007, I have moved 5 times to new cities and each time I joined a MPG. As a SAHM, there just aren't much opportunities to meet people. The MPG was a great way to get to know the area and meet people.

Also, I put all of my children in Mother's Morning Out program twice a week for 3 hours each day. Oldest child started at 3, 2nd started at 2 and now the youngest will start at 2 (next week). I did/do not do this for social reasons. I did/do this for myself.

As for all the other things like dance, art, etc., I have no idea why other parents do it but I enrolled my 2 year old in a once a week 30 minute gymnastics class for $30 for 8 weeks. It was dirt cheap and I thought my very energetic daughter would have fun.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post

We didn't do anything until age 3....than it was just an actual gym class. ..but age 4 she was in more than I ever thought...but it was still low key and she was/is someone that thrives on being busy and active with things....that isn't every kid and a parent shouldn't feel bad about limiting things to their child's comfort level...believe me...it doesn't matter if a girl starts balet at 2....it's just fun at that age.

Go with what the child wants and can handle. ..don't give into the insecure parents that have to be first in everything

Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 PM

105 posts, read 110,987 times
You shouldn't up your child in anything unless he/she shows interest in it first. Some people seriously have a toddlers and tiaras complex, putting babies in crap before they can talk.

My youngest child is almost 4 and is interested in sports. We are being very cautious about enrolling him in anything. My daughter is 6 and shows no interest in extracurricular but she excels in academics. Hey something has got to give!

Old 08-30-2014, 02:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
They don't really have organised activities for toddlers here except for exercise classes for parent and toddler to attend together (I expect its similar to Gymboree)

I figure daycare is enough organised activity for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting