Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 07:53 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times

Advertisements

We see a lot of posts about our terrible children and their terrible behavior in public here, but let's hear some positive stories from kind and understanding strangers instead!

Here's mine...

My son was about 2 at the time and sick, tired and miserable and I had to stop at the pharmacy with him to pick up some medication. No, there was no one home to leave him with and the sooner we got the medication, the better for him! I was also exhausted and miserable and on the verge of tears myself.

He started kicking up a fuss and melting down shortly after we got into the pharmacy as the script wasn't ready yet. An elderly woman came into the aisle we were in and I braced myself, but she just smiled at my son and said to me, "Boys are such a joy and a blessing, aren't they?" I apologized for the disturbance and replied something along the lines of, "Sometimes," and she very cheerly responded, "Oh no, always. Your son is beautiful. Enjoy every moment with him." Then she went on her way.

I don't think I will ever forget that particular moment, and that wonderful woman who was where she was at just the right time with just the right thing to say.

Such a small amount of kindness and understanding has continued to affect me even years later.

Let's hear yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
We were rather old when we adopted our last two children. We were 55 and 63 and I was surprised at the stares and remarks we sometimes got out in public. Also our kids are Vietnamese and we are Caucasian so they got a double eye full.

One time in a craft store a woman stopped us, admired our kids and said "And where did these beauties come from? They certainly are well behaved" My husband who was rather defensive and grumpy was all ready for some nosey woman wanting to know how much they costs (yes sometimes we got that), how could a couple "so old" get babies (we got that too) and he answered in a rather rude way. I immediately tried to soften the conversation and told her they were from Vietnam and thank you , they are beautiful.

We had a nice chat. Her daughter and son in law were trying to adopt and she asked for our agency. She was very understanding of my husband's curtness, dismissed our apologies and we even exchanged phone numbers.
We became friends. And all because she complimented our kids.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
A few weeks ago I was grocery shopping with my autistic son. He was in a good mood so he was twirling. He almost twirled into an elderly lady while we were getting a cart. I apologized but she just said "Oh he's just happy!" and smiled at him. I can't even explain how a little kindness wipes away all the anger at the dirty looks my son usually gets just for being happy in public.

Another time while my son was maybe a year old I was waiting for a bus. It was a yucky weather day. I was trying to hold him and fold up his stroller while juggling my shopping. A lady all dressed up nicely, stopped and folded up the stroller for me. She just walked over to me and asked if she could do that for me. There are still good people out there.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Good idea for a thread!

My toddler son was an escape artist. He was perpetually escaping - the house, the yard, fences, etc. In fact, he was the only one of my four children that -yes - I actually bought a "kid leash" for, because he made it his mission in life to get away from me if we were out shopping. He didn't do this to hide, or to get a rise out of me - he did it because at heart he is a great adventurer. He still is, to this day. He up and moved to Guam a couple of years ago in fact, just because it sounded like a cool place to live (he still lives there) and he spends his free time exploring caves, jungles, etc.

Anyway, so...when he was about three, long story short but he got away from me. This was when we lived in Germany, on a busy inner city street. Naturally, I was panicked. I couldn't imagine where he was and all sorts of horrible ideas were running through my head as I ran around the neighborhood frantically.

After a few minutes of looking, I realized that I needed to call the military police. Ugh. I was so scared - not only for my son, but because I was afraid they'd think I was a bad parent, maybe even charge me with something! But I had to alert them.

I jumped in the car and drove to the station and ran in like a bat out of hell. Lo and behold, there was my son, sitting at a desk, with an MP hat on, a sucker in one hand and a drink in the other hand, and a big smile on his face. A female MP was sitting there laughing with him. As soon as he saw me, and I saw him, of course she put two and two together. She told me, "I saw him walking down the street, and it just didn't look right. So I picked him up and decided we'd figure things out once I got him to safety. I figured that his mom or dad would be showing up pretty quickly - and here you are!"

She could have made some trouble for us - she could have been bureaucratic or made me feel like a bad mother, or reported us to CPS or any number of other things, but instead she was alert, she comforted a little boy who suddenly looked around and realized he didn't know where he was, and she used common sense and kindness. I appreciated that so much!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
When my daughter was two years old she loves go and give bread to the swans , ducks and who ever in the water. At that time we were living in a rural area every one knew every one small town, so there was a deck that we can get closer to water to feed swans. And there was a house close by and the couple I think they were in their 60's at that time. They join too with their old bread and ask my daughter to give to swans, and this couple once said " my dear enjoy every single moment you have they grow up with no time" Once we had cup of tea too with them and my daughter enjoy that gentleman's swinging chair a lot. Actually it is pleasure to see people like that, instead of people who see bad side of kids and who could not tolerate child being child. And Ozgal thank you for starting this thread we need some positive happy thoughts too. HI5

Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Nice to hear the positive stories

A couple years ago I was flying alone with my very young toddler (13 months), it was a very early morning flight so we were both tired from lack of sleep, at the gate waiting to board and I had my arms full of bags, heavy winter coats etc. it was boiling hot in the airport and I was overwhelmed and my daughter chose that moment to have a meltdown and demand to be carried when I just didn't have the arms or the strength. I was almost in tears trying to calm her down and trying to pick her up and a lady in the queue behind me offered to carry her. She saved the day!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
ok ive got a story, im a big believer in karma, and ive had people being nice to me for no reason,,,so its good to pay it forward
about 15 yrs ago I was reading in a "buy swap or sell" magazine - a local one - an ad by a mother that was asking for a race car toddler bed- she added she was a single mother and has two boys this would be there first Christmas "just them"
so I call the number and she answered, I could hear the kids in the background, I said I might be able to help her as I had a race car toddler bed in my garage no longer being used, she broke down and said she didn't have much money and how that's all her little boy wanted from santa, and that she was doing her best working two jobs, I asked her if she could come pick it up
she said yes, with her father,,
she sounded genuine, so I told her I would put the bed in my garage, to just come pick it up , I wont be home - (working) we agreed on a price she was pleased with
well I told my son what I wanted to do- fill the bed with all of his old toys he no longer uses,(so the other boys could enjoy them) so he went and gathered a bunch of toys together - and then we went to the basement and garage and got bicycles, balls, tons of movies, and tons of clothes

the whole center of the garage was full of stuff (remote cars, Gameboys, tons of stuff) and of course the bed
I left a note saying "merry Christmas" just take the bed and whatever else you would like, my son and I want you and your boys to have it "

I got home that evening opened the garage and it was all taken,,,,and an envelope was left there
so I opened it and she left a picture of her two boys and said just when I thought the world was so cold and no one cared, you warmed my heart, and more importantly, you made Christmas possible this year for my boys
and when I went in the house, she left a nice message on the answering machine

one of the reasons why im writing this,,,is that when I told my young son of the situation, he gave away toys he liked and still used, but he wanted to help, and he felt so good for helping (after I read her reply)

as others have written, you can change someones life with kindness,, whether you receive it or give it

do random acts of kindness, it soothes the soul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting