Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are also from warm areas (I am from Southern California, and he's from the tropics.), and we greatly prefer very cold weather. He would have the window open during sub zero weather when we lived in Northern Illinois. So, no, it doesn't always have to do with where we grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I was born in the UK where it never gets that cold and I've got no problem being out in that temp (but I did go on holiday to Lapland often as a child so maybe I got used to it that way, but still, plenty of immigrants seem to cope ok here in those temps).

My daughter was born when the temps were in the -20s though, she is much better suited to cold temperatures than me. She's napped outside when its been close to -30C!
Where do you draw the line for your child? A full blown blizzard?

Old 11-11-2014, 12:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Where do you draw the line for your child? A full blown blizzard?
I suppose the line is drawn by her really. So long as she wants to go out to play then she can - don't really get dangerous weather here, just cold. A blizzard isn't an issue for playing in the back garden but I wouldn't expect many children to want to play in a blizzard, at least not for long anyway.

You can't function in this country if you can't go outside in bad weather so I'd be doing her a disservice to keep her inside when the weather is bad - she needs to get used to it (and she is).

Old 11-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I suppose the line is drawn by her really. So long as she wants to go out to play then she can - don't really get dangerous weather here, just cold. A blizzard isn't an issue for playing in the back garden but I wouldn't expect many children to want to play in a blizzard, at least not for long anyway.

You can't function in this country if you can't go outside in bad weather so I'd be doing her a disservice to keep her inside when the weather is bad - she needs to get used to it (and she is).
You can't function in most of the United States if you don't go out in bad weather either and most people do just fine. However we don't send our kids out to play in thunderstorms and blizzards and I really don't think that's a bad thing and I wonder just how common it is in your country as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
You can't function in most of the United States if you don't go out in bad weather either and most people do just fine. However we don't send our kids out to play in thunderstorms and blizzards and I really don't think that's a bad thing and I wonder just how common it is in your country as well.
Blizzards really aren't common here, winds don't get that high, at least not inland where I live. Thunderstorms are a bit more common and what kid doesn't like running around in the rain in a summer storm watching the lightening flashes? I always enjoyed doing that.

You use cars a lot more in the US, here its more normal for kids to walk or ride their bikes to school so there's more of a need to be outside in all weather, and outside play is heavily encouraged in daycares and schools for its benefits.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:24 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
We live in northern Canada (could drive to the arctic circle in about 6 hours!), needless to say my 4 yo spends lots of time outside properly dressed, it was -25c yesterday. He loves to bulldoze snow with his construction toys.

I grewcup in a place where snow was rare, yes, it takes getting used to. Daycares consider sub -25c as a no-go - anything 'warmer' and they go out.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Blizzards really aren't common here, winds don't get that high, at least not inland where I live. Thunderstorms are a bit more common and what kid doesn't like running around in the rain in a summer storm watching the lightening flashes? I always enjoyed doing that.

You use cars a lot more in the US, here its more normal for kids to walk or ride their bikes to school so there's more of a need to be outside in all weather, and outside play is heavily encouraged in daycares and schools for its benefits.
The problem with that is that it is dangerous to be out in a lightning storm.
I do think playing in the rain is a good thing, but it should be after any lightning has subsided.

How to Protect Yourself in a Thunderstorm (with Illustrations)

Old 11-11-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with that is that it is dangerous to be out in a lightning storm.
I do think playing in the rain is a good thing, but it should be after any lightning has subsided.

How to Protect Yourself in a Thunderstorm (with Illustrations)
That's a good point, lightening storms should be the limit.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
That's a good point, lightening storms should be the limit.
Why....thought only Americans couldn't handle the weather.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Why....thought only Americans couldn't handle the weather.
Touché
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting