Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times

Advertisements

Wife and I dont drink and no alcohol and family functions. I grew up that way too. I took my first drink at about 25. Didnt see any use in it so never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,191,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post

As for parties, it never occurred to me not to allow my son not to go to any party at any age. Depending upon the age, I might go with him. And depending upon behavior, none of us will go.
Interestingly at my son's High School Graduation party one of the moms came with her son.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekab23 View Post
On their 21st birthday
Ever heard of the popular drinking game, '21 for 21'? It is mainly practiced by kids with little or no drinking experience. They drink 21 shots of alcohol, usually whithin a couple of hours. It is a disgusting practice. By the time I was 21, I had enough experience with 'One Too Many' to know that 'Seventeen Too Many' is a really dumb idea.

We have a close to zero-tolerance policy in this country, and then just open the floodgates on these kids and the results are often major binge drinking by kids who are not restricted by living at home or by small allowances. They are free-willed but extremely naive adults who often end up making some really poor decisions. They may not become alcoholics all of a sudden, but one night of '21 for 21' can, and does, often result in acute alcohol poisoning or even death.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Age 21. If they want to drink before that, they can figure out how to get it themselves.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,449 times
A thimble of wine at special occasions starting at 7. My son has not taken to this. He is 14 and has tasted liquor once.

Starting around 14 yes I would have been allowed a half glass of wine or a 1/3 with all the special dinners of the year, Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas. It is the European way. And we are post-European 2 generations.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:18 PM

698 posts, read 798,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Interestingly at my son's High School Graduation party one of the moms came with her son.

That's actually pretty common here. I wouldn't really want to go myself but would happily go if my son asked me to.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Other than trying a sip or two, when is it appropriate to give your child his/her first drink? How about let them go to parties?

Because weed has been legalized in some states, what do you think is the right age to give him/her his first doobie? And what about coffee?
When they are 21 and legal.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,323,402 times
Never

Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ever heard of the popular drinking game, '21 for 21'? It is mainly practiced by kids with little or no drinking experience. They drink 21 shots of alcohol, usually whithin a couple of hours. It is a disgusting practice. By the time I was 21, I had enough experience with 'One Too Many' to know that 'Seventeen Too Many' is a really dumb idea.

We have a close to zero-tolerance policy in this country, and then just open the floodgates on these kids and the results are often major binge drinking by kids who are not restricted by living at home or by small allowances. They are free-willed but extremely naive adults who often end up making some really poor decisions. They may not become alcoholics all of a sudden, but one night of '21 for 21' can, and does, often result in acute alcohol poisoning or even death.
Most of the biggest drinkers I have ever known had parents who didn't care what age they started drinking. Those who waited almost always didn't over indulge with alcohol, either. It's such a cop out to say that if you don't let your children drink alcohol they're going to turn into raging alcoholics or go crazy when they move out.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Most of the biggest drinkers I have ever known had parents who didn't care what age they started drinking. Those who waited almost always didn't over indulge with alcohol, either. It's such a cop out to say that if you don't let your children drink alcohol they're going to turn into raging alcoholics or go crazy when they move out.
I've seen it go both ways. However, I think there's a difference between parents who don't care how much their kids drink and maybe even encourage it, and parents who introduce their kids to alcohol in limited amounts but aren't super strict about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting