Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:14 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times

Advertisements

my daughter never hassle she goes as all other times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:15 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
Some possibilities- Your child may not like the doctor you've picked out. The child may want a doctor of the same sex. If you go into the examining room with your child and doctor, your child may want you to stop doing that. Just have a conversation with your child.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,012 times
Yearly physicals, required by schools or not, are not negociable. Having blood work etc is important, and could show any potential health issue.
I would let the teen pick his/her physician if needed, but that's it. Don't forget s/he may have something going on s/he might be ashamed if (could be as simple as weight or something s/he doesn't want to show or talk about), so being comfortable with the doctor is key.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why make him/her go if he's/she's healthy?
No school I know of requires a physical for it's students.
Forcing the child to go will just make him/her angry at you and doctors in general. What for?
Because you don't know that your child is healthy. My parents certainly had no clue that I had stage IV cancer when to the layman, I looked and felt fine for the most part.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Why make him/her go if he's/she's healthy?
No school I know of requires a physical for it's students.
Forcing the child to go will just make him/her angry at you and doctors in general. What for?
Oh no - an angry teen. How odd. We can't have that....

I doubt this situation is real - looking at some of the OP's other posts, I'm doubting he's a parent or a teen. He hasn't offered any more details so I'm guessing he has some vague scenario in his head and is tossing it out to see what happens.

If this situation were true, I don't think avoiding good habits because it *might* make a teen angry at you, is a good foundation on which to make parenting decisions.

A child who has routinely had physicals should not be upset by it. If he/she is, I'd sure want to know why. That's a pretty big thing in my opinion.

There are a whole slew of things we "force" on our children that they might not like but we do anyway because ultimately we are responsible for their well-being, even at the risk of *maybe* upsetting them:

eating a balanced diet
going to bed at a decent hour so they get enough sleep
dental hygiene
manners
school/homework
safety habits like seatbelts and helmets

and yes, routine doctor visits.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
You're right maciesmom.....I agree with all of your "slew" of things....all that is except routine doctors visits.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
You're right maciesmom.....I agree with all of your "slew" of things....all that is except routine doctors visits.
...and vaccinations....don't forget those

Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM

477 posts, read 509,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Lets say that for whatever reason your teenager refuses to see the doctor that you want to send him or her to for a standard physical. Usually physical exams are required once or twice annually by schools so in order to attend school a student needs to undergo a physical but lets say your teenage child doesn't want to see the particular doctor you're sending them to and simply refuses to go?
Taking them to A doctor is important - but if they don't want to go to THAT doctor, find another.

And then find out what that doctor did that makes your teenager not want to go back to him/her.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,706,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Lets say that for whatever reason your teenager refuses to see the doctor that you want to send him or her to for a standard physical. Usually physical exams are required once or twice annually by schools so in order to attend school a student needs to undergo a physical but lets say your teenage child doesn't want to see the particular doctor you're sending them to and simply refuses to go?
A doctors visit for a teen to attend a school? Never heard of such a thing.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
A doctors visit for a teen to attend a school? Never heard of such a thing.
In my district all 6th graders and any child coming into the district is required to have a physical, an eye exam, and a dental exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting