Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
If what you claim is true about being a health care provider than what you say would carry some weight but this is the internet where anybody can claim anything. But, assuming that you really are a health care provider I will say this.

I've never been a doctor or a lawyer but have some common knowledge in those fields. For instance I do know that to work with patients at all you need a medical license. I also know that to get a medical license there are certain requirements. You obviously have to have the proper educational background, you have to have been through medical school, ect. There are other requirements such as not having a history of drug abuse and if you ever are found to be abusing drugs you will get your medical license revoked. Also, this is just common sense, that just because you have a medical license of some sort doesn't mean you can see any patient for any reason and that you can perform any medical procedure. As I pointed out before, a dentist cannot do heart surgery with their dental license which is a type of medical license. You say that dentists aren't physicians well how about dermatologists and eye doctors, they're physicians aren't they? Can they do heart surgery? It is important to have good medical guidelines and for them to be strictly enforced otherwise you can run into big problems. There was a case of people getting hair transplants at a clinic who were suffering complications from the procedure. After further research it turned out it was not doctors but garbage men who were doing the transplants. Garbage men were coming in on their off days to do the transplants and the doctors were in the back room counting the money. That's the kind of stuff that happens when medical guidelines aren't enforced.

I don't have any 18 yo children but I've been 18. At 18 I certainly made enough money to afford a routine physical from a doctor. An 18 yo might for whatever reason decide to pay for their own physical even if they have the option of mom and dad paying, maybe the 18 yo doesn't want to see the doctor that their mom and dad are sending them to and therefore wants to choose their own doctor that they pay for themselves. For me to see a doctor, I've got standards. I've got standards the doctor has to meet and I set those standards because Im the one seeing the doctor. After all I don't and never have chosen which doctors my mom and dad see or have set standards for them as to which doctors they see would have to meet, they've always made those choices themselves. Therefore I choose which doctors I see and the standards they have to meet, especially if I choose to exercise the option of paying for it.

Blah, blah, blah....

Lets make it real simple you don't seem to think pediatricians can see patients over the age of 18 or even 18 when in fact pediatricians routinely see patients up to age 21.....and no laws are being broken...

If you can prove otherwise have at it....otherwise DROP IT

Your second point about "choosing doctors" I am assuming that not only do you not have 18 yo children but you aren't in fact even a parent since you are equating a parent choosing their children's physician with a child choosing for their parent???? Um, not equivalent by the way...

As for "paying for healthcare" maybe you aren't in the US because in this country basically NO ONE "pays" for their healthcare, they have "insurance" that pays for their physician visits...

At age 18 "most" young people don't carry their own insurance, they are still under their parent's policy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:06 AM

143 posts, read 134,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Untrue, as I explained earlier.
Dentists have a different license.
If they have an "MD" license, yes. Some eye doctors are optometrists, with a different license.
Legally, any MD can.

Most 18 year olds wouldn't even know how to go about finding a doctor. I've raised two to well past that age now.
Well before I was 18 I knew how to use the Yellow Pages. It's quite simple, you look in the Yellow Pages under the section labeled Physicians, its a huge section and you will get listings of lots of local doctors. In this day and age instead of a big think book you would more likely use the internet and you might try a site such as yellowpages.com

Old 11-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your second point about "choosing doctors" I am assuming that not only do you not have 18 yo children but you aren't in fact even a parent since you are equating a parent choosing their children's physician with a child choosing for their parent???? Um, not equivalent by the way...
It is equivalent if the child is 18 or older. Parents should not choose doctors for children who are 18 or older any more than children should choose doctors for their parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
As for "paying for healthcare" maybe you aren't in the US because in this country basically NO ONE "pays" for their healthcare, they have "insurance" that pays for their physician visits...

At age 18 "most" young people don't carry their own insurance, they are still under their parent's policy...
What Im saying is, it is possible for most 18 year olds to pay out of pocket to see a doctor of their choice for a standard physical. It wouldn't be too hard for an 18 year old to make enough money to pay for it themselves and an 18 year old might choose, for whatever reason, to pay for it themselves rather than have any insurance policy cover it.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
It is equivalent if the child is 18 or older. Parents should not choose doctors for children who are 18 or older any more than children should choose doctors for their parents.

What Im saying is, it is possible for most 18 year olds to pay out of pocket to see a doctor of their choice for a standard physical. It wouldn't be too hard for an 18 year old to make enough money to pay for it themselves and an 18 year old might choose, for whatever reason, to pay for it themselves rather than have any insurance policy cover it.
The cost for said visit would be at least $100 in most areas. That does not include any immunizations the patient needs, or any lab work the doctor recommends. In fact, three years ago, the average price was $160, ranging from $128 (PA) to $188 (Oregon).

Primary Care Visits Available to Most Uninsured But at a High Price - 2015 - News Releases - News - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

Old 11-11-2015, 06:39 PM

919 posts, read 1,692,410 times
Quote:
If what you claim is true about being a health care provider than what you say would carry some weight but this is the internet where anybody can claim anything. But, assuming that you really are a health care provider I will say this.

I've never been a doctor or a lawyer but have some common knowledge in those fields. For instance I do know that to work with patients at all you need a medical license. I also know that to get a medical license there are certain requirements. You obviously have to have the proper educational background, you have to have been through medical school, ect. There are other requirements such as not having a history of drug abuse and if you ever are found to be abusing drugs you will get your medical license revoked. Also, this is just common sense, that just because you have a medical license of some sort doesn't mean you can see any patient for any reason and that you can perform any medical procedure. As I pointed out before, a dentist cannot do heart surgery with their dental license which is a type of medical license. You say that dentists aren't physicians well how about dermatologists and eye doctors, they're physicians aren't they? Can they do heart surgery? It is important to have good medical guidelines and for them to be strictly enforced otherwise you can run into big problems. There was a case of people getting hair transplants at a clinic who were suffering complications from the procedure. After further research it turned out it was not doctors but garbage men who were doing the transplants. Garbage men were coming in on their off days to do the transplants and the doctors were in the back room counting the money. That's the kind of stuff that happens when medical guidelines aren't enforced.

I don't have any 18 yo children but I've been 18. At 18 I certainly made enough money to afford a routine physical from a doctor. An 18 yo might for whatever reason decide to pay for their own physical even if they have the option of mom and dad paying, maybe the 18 yo doesn't want to see the doctor that their mom and dad are sending them to and therefore wants to choose their own doctor that they pay for themselves. For me to see a doctor, I've got standards. I've got standards the doctor has to meet and I set those standards because Im the one seeing the doctor. After all I don't and never have chosen which doctors my mom and dad see or have set standards for them as to which doctors they see would have to meet, they've always made those choices themselves. Therefore I choose which doctors I see and the standards they have to meet, especially if I choose to exercise the option of paying for it.

For the most part, doctors go to school for general medicine and specialize in something (I.e pediatrics) even if they are pediatricians, there is no law saying that at age 18 you have to stop seeing the pediatrician. If I still lived where I was born I would LOVE to be able to see my old pediatrician and I know she would still see me.

Personally, for my brother we chose a family Dr so that he can see him forever.

Also, idk where you're from but I don't know anyone that would willingly pay for a doctors visit when routine visits can run upwards of 100, and sick visits even more- which I don't think a lot of 18 year old can afford.

I'm 20 and in college and on my mother's insurance; this year alone I've spent upwards of 1100$ on copays (20$ for anything other than a physical, 150$ at the ER, and an additional 20$ for any tests I get done- blood work, xrays, MRI etc.) I had a torn tendon in my foot and there is NO WAY it would've been properly taken care of if I paid on my own.

But to get back to your original question, if the kid doesn't want to see a specific doctor you find one they will see. Being comfortable with a doctor is important especially as kids. When I was younger, probably 16 and under, I never felt comfortable with a male Dr. Now my primary , my allergist, my podiatrist, my psychiatrist are all men and they're great definitely makes it easier to stay on top of office visits.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The cost for said visit would be at least $100 in most areas. That does not include any immunizations the patient needs, or any lab work the doctor recommends. In fact, three years ago, the average price was $160, ranging from $128 (PA) to $188 (Oregon).

Primary Care Visits Available to Most Uninsured But at a High Price - 2015 - News Releases - News - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

Most 18 year olds can make at least $100 of their own. Especially today with higher minimum wages.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
For the most part, doctors go to school for general medicine and specialize in something (I.e pediatrics) even if they are pediatricians, there is no law saying that at age 18 you have to stop seeing the pediatrician. If I still lived where I was born I would LOVE to be able to see my old pediatrician and I know she would still see me.

Personally, for my brother we chose a family Dr so that he can see him forever.
There are qualifications that a doctor has to meet to perform certain medical procedures or to see certain patients for certain reasons. A pediatrician is a baby doctor, a doctor for babies and small children. If there isn't any law saying pediatricians can't keep seeing somebody after they're 18 then there's something wrong with our laws.

Quote:
Also, idk where you're from but I don't know anyone that would willingly pay for a doctors visit when routine visits can run upwards of 100, and sick visits even more- which I don't think a lot of 18 year old can afford.
I was making over 100 a week when I was 18 and this was back in 1994. Anyway, why would somebody willingly pay for a doctor's visit? Maybe they don't want their parents choosing which doctor they should see. Maybe they want to choose their own doctor and if that involves having to pay for it than so be it. Maybe there comes a time when children want to stop relying on their parents and that includes choosing their own doctor and paying for it.

Quote:
I'm 20 and in college and on my mother's insurance; this year alone I've spent upwards of 1100$ on copays (20$ for anything other than a physical, 150$ at the ER, and an additional 20$ for any tests I get done- blood work, xrays, MRI etc.) I had a torn tendon in my foot and there is NO WAY it would've been properly taken care of if I paid on my own.
You sound like you've got lots of health issues. If you're in college though you might be able to get good medical insurance although Im not all that knowledgeable on that.

Quote:
But to get back to your original question, if the kid doesn't want to see a specific doctor you find one they will see. Being comfortable with a doctor is important especially as kids. When I was younger, probably 16 and under, I never felt comfortable with a male Dr. Now my primary , my allergist, my podiatrist, my psychiatrist are all men and they're great definitely makes it easier to stay on top of office visits.
I agree with you but not all parents might agree. Lets say that a child is seeing this doctor that they've seen since infancy and all of a sudden one day they say they no longer want to see said doctor. Especially if they've been seeing this doctor for many years their parents might want to stick with the doctor and they might not be keen on the child switching doctors. After all, most of us have got standards that a doctor has to meet before we see the doctor and as you said gender might be one of those standards.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
There are qualifications that a doctor has to meet to perform certain medical procedures or to see certain patients for certain reasons. A pediatrician is a baby doctor, a doctor for babies and small children. If there isn't any law saying pediatricians can't keep seeing somebody after they're 18 then there's something wrong with our laws.

I was making over 100 a week when I was 18 and this was back in 1994. Anyway, why would somebody willingly pay for a doctor's visit? Maybe they don't want their parents choosing which doctor they should see. Maybe they want to choose their own doctor and if that involves having to pay for it than so be it. Maybe there comes a time when children want to stop relying on their parents and that includes choosing their own doctor and paying for it.

You sound like you've got lots of health issues. If you're in college though you might be able to get good medical insurance although Im not all that knowledgeable on that.

I agree with you but not all parents might agree. Lets say that a child is seeing this doctor that they've seen since infancy and all of a sudden one day they say they no longer want to see said doctor. Especially if they've been seeing this doctor for many years their parents might want to stick with the doctor and they might not be keen on the child switching doctors. After all, most of us have got standards that a doctor has to meet before we see the doctor and as you said gender might be one of those standards.
No, pediatricians are doctors for CHILDREN, not babies. As I pointed out weeks ago, when you turn 18, it isn't like a switch is suddenly flipped and your insides are different than they were yesterday. You continue to belabor your point, when everyone here has refuted everything you've said. Actually, what IS your point? Why do you think a law is needed for this? When you're 18, you can simply choose a new doctor.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
To clarify.: I agree that having a regular physical is non-negotiable. I simply found it odd that the OP referenced the school requiring physicals "once or twice annually" for attendance. That has not been my experience.
Not unusual -- my kids went to a private school, which required a physical each year.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Most 18 year olds can make at least $100 of their own. Especially today with higher minimum wages.
At $7.50/hr, it takes 20 hours to earn $150 pre-tax! A half week of full-time work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting