Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And there isn't anything to argue about. Nobody has said they would make their kid see a doctor they were uncomfortable with. The OP has never given any background information on why he's fixated on this non-issue.
Yep, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I never said anything about a child or teenager refusing to see any doctor period, what I was specifically talking about was if a teenager refused to see a specific doctor. For instance, a teenager who just turned 18 and doesn't want to see a pediatrician or even a teenager under 18 who doesn't want to see a pediatrician because they don't want to see a baby doctor. Or, a teenager who would rather see a female doctor, ect. Some of the people here have said that they would be fine with finding a doctor their child is comfortable with but there have been some replies that have said otherwise and Im quite sure there might be some parents who are quite adamant about their child seeing the same doctor they've seen since infancy, even if the child is 18+ that's what Im addressing.
You've been dragging this out for 7 months over something your "quite sure might" happen sometimes?

Quote:
No, I've been off the boards for awhile. I took a break from posting in here for many months so the time I've spent posting here is not consistent with the date of my first post.
I've been on CD for a long time and I have never before seen a poster belabor a point like this. Ever. Especially given that it is a complete non-issue.

Quote:
And there isn't anything to argue about. Nobody has said they would make their kid see a doctor they were uncomfortable with. The OP has never given any background information on why he's fixated on this non-issue.
Exactly. It's weird.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:56 PM

143 posts, read 133,683 times
Quote:
See post #93 by bluedevilz

Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Pretty much everything you have "pointed out" in this thread has been absolute non sense....

It is very clear you don't understand the field of Pediatrics, you have no clue as to the training of physicians and what they can and cannot do...

As for your last paragraph, my 18+ yo child can choose any physician they want to see....as soon as they start paying their own bills and carrying their own health insurance...

Until that day arrives, I think I will still exercise MY right to have a say in the doctors they see and "what criteria must be met"

Quote:
See post #93 by bluedevilz
Yeah, I see it. It doesn't say anything about insisting a child see a doctor they are uncomfortable with. You are grasping at straws looking for a controversy that doesn't exist.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I see it. It doesn't say anything about insisting a child see a doctor they are uncomfortable with. You are grasping at straws looking for a controversy that doesn't exist.
In the thread bluedevilz says that they will choose which doctors their children see and what criteria the doctors must meet until the children pay their own bills and health insurance and that includes children that are 18+.

And let me ask you this, lets say you've got a child whose been seeing a particular doctor since infancy. Than, 16, 17, or 18 years later your child says they no longer want to see that particular doctor. Would you be alright with your child switching doctors at that point from the doctor your child has been seeing all their life, for all those years?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Depends on the reason. Depends on the age. 16 & 17 are minors. 18 is an adult. 2 different things.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
In the thread bluedevilz says that they will choose which doctors their children see and what criteria the doctors must meet until the children pay their own bills and health insurance and that includes children that are 18+.

And let me ask you this, lets say you've got a child whose been seeing a particular doctor since infancy. Than, 16, 17, or 18 years later your child says they no longer want to see that particular doctor. Would you be alright with your child switching doctors at that point from the doctor your child has been seeing all their life, for all those years?
And again, the post doesn't mention forcing the child to see a doctor they are uncomfortable with. If my kids ever felt uncomfortable with a doctor, yes, I would switch. Would I let them choose the new doctor? Of course not. It would have to be a doctor who accepts our insurance, and who has positive reviews. But I would change again if they didn't like the new MD.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
And again, the post doesn't mention forcing the child to see a doctor they are uncomfortable with. If my kids ever felt uncomfortable with a doctor, yes, I would switch. Would I let them choose the new doctor? Of course not. It would have to be a doctor who accepts our insurance, and who has positive reviews. But I would change again if they didn't like the new MD.
So you wouldn't mind switching doctors that a child of yours has been seeing for the last 16 or so years?

As far as them choosing their own doctors when a child turns 18 they can choose their own doctors and as far as the issue of you choosing the doctor because you're paying for it is concerned, as I said before its not that hard for an 18 year old to make enough themselves to afford a doctor visit. They might not be able to afford the more expensive medical procedures but there's no reason they can't afford a standard physical.

Last edited by ToddSteel; 11-25-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-25-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well as far as them choosing their own doctors when a child turns 18 they can choose their own doctors and as far as the issue of you choosing the doctor because you're paying for it is concerned, as I said before its not that hard for an 18 year old to make enough themselves to afford a doctor visit. They might not be able to afford the more expensive medical procedures but there's no reason they can't afford a standard physical.
Do you understand the simple concept that 18 is an adult, 17 is not?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So you wouldn't mind switching doctors that a child of yours has been seeing for the last 16 or so years?

As far as them choosing their own doctors when a child turns 18 they can choose their own doctors and as far as the issue of you choosing the doctor because you're paying for it is concerned, as I said before its not that hard for an 18 year old to make enough themselves to afford a doctor visit. They might not be able to afford the more expensive medical procedures but there's no reason they can't afford a standard physical.
I don't think I can say it any clearer than I already did.

For the record, my kids left the pediatrician by age 13-14 when we moved and ended up using a family practice. At 18, they were all away at college, and free to choose whichever doctor they wanted to use, either through the health clinics on campus, or an in-network provider off campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting