Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:44 AM

143 posts, read 133,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Do you understand the simple concept that 18 is an adult, 17 is not?
Well you definitely should be considered an adult by the time you turn 18 although there are some exceptions at least by law. For instance you're not an adult in regards to drinking alcohol until you're 21. But what you just said is basically what I've been saying all along, that in terms of seeing doctors an 18 year old shouldn't have to see a children's doctor and at 18 somebody should be able to choose their own doctor. Now while the law might say you're technically an adult at 18 for most stuff (there are some exceptions, such as the one I mentioned above, alcohol.) that's not to say that the day you turn 18 you magically all of a sudden change. For that reason I would say that even somebody who is under 18 maybe shouldn't see a pediatrician if they don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't think I can say it any clearer than I already did.

For the record, my kids left the pediatrician by age 13-14 when we moved and ended up using a family practice. At 18, they were all away at college, and free to choose whichever doctor they wanted to use, either through the health clinics on campus, or an in-network provider off campus.
I see. Well you did make it clear that if your children didn't like a particular doctor that you wouldn't have a problem with switching them but you also said they wouldn't be able to choose their own doctor, it would have to be a doctor that you approve of and that would accept your insurance. Well how about, when switching doctors if your children have certain standards for any new doctor they see? For instance, lets say they prefer female doctors?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:
....I would say that even somebody who is under 18 maybe shouldn't see a pediatrician if they don't want to.
And most posters have not disagreed with this. I don't know what you keep up this "argument".

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
I see. Well you did make it clear that if your children didn't like a particular doctor that you wouldn't have a problem with switching them but you also said they wouldn't be able to choose their own doctor, it would have to be a doctor that you approve of and that would accept your insurance. Well how about, when switching doctors if your children have certain standards for any new doctor they see? For instance, lets say they prefer female doctors?
Do you have any standards in mind besides the sex of the doctor? That's a no-brainer. If they wanted a male doctor (all sons), then that's what we saw. If I had a daughter with a preference for a female physician, it would have been the same thing.

Of course we would limit them to an in-network practice, that's just common sense. I'm not sure how valid a kid's "standards" for doctors could possibly be. That's a parent's job to investigate.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Well you definitely should be considered an adult by the time you turn 18 although there are some exceptions at least by law. For instance you're not an adult in regards to drinking alcohol until you're 21. But what you just said is basically what I've been saying all along, that in terms of seeing doctors an 18 year old shouldn't have to see a children's doctor and at 18 somebody should be able to choose their own doctor. Now while the law might say you're technically an adult at 18 for most stuff (there are some exceptions, such as the one I mentioned above, alcohol.) that's not to say that the day you turn 18 you magically all of a sudden change. For that reason I would say that even somebody who is under 18 maybe shouldn't see a pediatrician if they don't want to.
The bottom line is 18 is an adult and can choose their own doctor. 17 is not. That decision is between that minor and the parents. End of discussion. You parent how you feel is appropriate. Quit arguing this non- issue.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:03 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
They certainly don't need to see a pediatrician, but there is nothing unique about them that makes a pediatrician a poor choice or a GP a better choice. Some kids are physically men by the time they are 15, some men have a growth spurt in their 20's.

Your parents weigh in on your choice of physician primarily because its their insurance and their money going to the copay.

It very well could be that your mother is dragging you to the pediatrician simply because she doesn't want to take you and your younger siblings to different annual doctor's appointments.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They certainly don't need to see a pediatrician, but there is nothing unique about them that makes a pediatrician a poor choice or a GP a better choice. Some kids are physically men by the time they are 15, some men have a growth spurt in their 20's.

Your parents weigh in on your choice of physician primarily because its their insurance and their money going to the copay.

It very well could be that your mother is dragging you to the pediatrician simply because she doesn't want to take you and your younger siblings to different annual doctor's appointments.
The OP is 39 years old. It's a mystery why he brought this up as an issue and is so passionate about it.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The OP is 39 years old. It's a mystery why he brought this up as an issue and is so passionate about it.
Oh wow, I missed that. Thanks for the heads up. I'm outta here.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And most posters have not disagreed with this. I don't know what you keep up this "argument".
Most posters on this thread might not have disagreed with what I've said but every so often there will be parents who say stuff along the lines of, "We pay the bills, yada, yada, yada, therefore we make decisions for you as to what kind of doctor you see and that includes if we want you to keep seeing a pediatrician."

Old 12-12-2015, 07:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
find out why they don't like that doctor.....then find a different doctor...perhaps a female doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting