Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:05 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
And it is wrong to EVER force a child to do anything they don't want to do!

For example, eating a balanced diet is not necessary if the child is physically active.

A child will self correct not getting enough sleep because being sleepy all the time is not fun. Same with dental hygiene.

Manners are complete bogus and no one should have manners. Same with seatbelts and helmets. I can guarantee you no child over 12 actually wears their helmet.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

A child lacks perception and an ability to think long-term. Some children must be "forced" to go to school when they would rather stay at home and play video games. Some children must be "forced" to bathe, or take medicine. "Ever" is a pretty complete concept.

Eating a balanced diet is even MORE necessary if a child is physically active. How can a child grow strong and stay active on a diet of M&M's and Pepsi?

A child does not "self-correct" on sleep -- their lack of sleep affects their behavior and ability to learn for the entire day. Continually working on a sleep deficit means that behavior and learning is continually affected.

And while you, yourself, may not be familiar with manners, I assure you that the rest of the world works much better when manners are second nature. Manners, by the way, are simply a matter of respect for both yourself (in not accepting being poorly treated) and others (treating people with respect.) Seatbelts DO save lives, and yes, I can guarantee you that children over 12 actually wear helmets. They tend to live longer that way: 57% of bike-relatied fatalities in children under 18 could have been prevented by wearing a helmet. What irritates the hell out of me is watching a kid biking with their dad -- kid has a helmet, but dad doesn't -- talk about not modeling good practices. My husband has two helmets that are basically plastic shards due to severe falls -- but he's still alive and kicking, and he kept the damaged helmets as an object lesson. You better believe our kids had helmets.

89% Of Children In Bike Accidents Do Not Wear Helmets, Upping Risk Of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
It's a non-negotiable. He or she is going, even if they have to be picked up and dragged--and yes, if the law allowed it and I still enjoyed enough of a size advantage I'd most certainly do exactly that in a New York minute. They can scream "I hate you" all they want--I could not care less. I said you're going, and that's that. You turn 18, move out of the house, make your own way financially, THEN you can make these choices. Until then--my house, my rules. Game over.

"It's wrong to force a child to do anything"--do I have "I'm my child's best friend" written on my T-shirt or forehead? I'm not their friend. That doesn't mean I'm a jack(rhymes with "grass"), but I'm not their friend. I'm their parent. This is not a popularity "cool factor" contest. If you need to go to a doctor, the hospital or school etc have said so and I agree with them, you're going--either via the easy way, or the hard way, but you're going.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post

I was making over 100 a week when I was 18 and this was back in 1994. Anyway, why would somebody willingly pay for a doctor's visit? Maybe they don't want their parents choosing which doctor they should see. Maybe they want to choose their own doctor and if that involves having to pay for it than so be it. Maybe there comes a time when children want to stop relying on their parents and that includes choosing their own doctor and paying for it.
Wait. You're 39 years old? Why are you concerned about this issue? You've been going on for months about this. Do you have a child who is refusing to see a doctor? Did you refuse to see a pediatrician in 1994 and you're still arguing about it with someone? What's the deal?

Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 PM

143 posts, read 133,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
At $7.50/hr, it takes 20 hours to earn $150 pre-tax! A half week of full-time work.
When I was 18 I was making $5.25/hr and I would get paychecks for over $100. A once time college physical for $100 was not anywhere above my means.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Wait. You're 39 years old? Why are you concerned about this issue? You've been going on for months about this. Do you have a child who is refusing to see a doctor? Did you refuse to see a pediatrician in 1994 and you're still arguing about it with someone? What's the deal?
Arguing for 7 months no less!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It's a non-negotiable. He or she is going, even if they have to be picked up and dragged--and yes, if the law allowed it and I still enjoyed enough of a size advantage I'd most certainly do exactly that in a New York minute. They can scream "I hate you" all they want--I could not care less. I said you're going, and that's that. You turn 18, move out of the house, make your own way financially, THEN you can make these choices. Until then--my house, my rules. Game over.

"It's wrong to force a child to do anything"--do I have "I'm my child's best friend" written on my T-shirt or forehead? I'm not their friend. That doesn't mean I'm a jack(rhymes with "grass"), but I'm not their friend. I'm their parent. This is not a popularity "cool factor" contest. If you need to go to a doctor, the hospital or school etc have said so and I agree with them, you're going--either via the easy way, or the hard way, but you're going.
I never said anything about a child or teenager refusing to see any doctor period, what I was specifically talking about was if a teenager refused to see a specific doctor. For instance, a teenager who just turned 18 and doesn't want to see a pediatrician or even a teenager under 18 who doesn't want to see a pediatrician because they don't want to see a baby doctor. Or, a teenager who would rather see a female doctor, ect. Some of the people here have said that they would be fine with finding a doctor their child is comfortable with but there have been some replies that have said otherwise and Im quite sure there might be some parents who are quite adamant about their child seeing the same doctor they've seen since infancy, even if the child is 18+ that's what Im addressing.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Because Im a big believer in youth rights and teen rights. Just because Im past it doesn't mean I no longer care. I made some mistakes about not exercising what I believed in when I was younger and I don't want others to make the same mistakes.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Arguing for 7 months no less!
No, I've been off the boards for awhile. I took a break from posting in here for many months so the time I've spent posting here is not consistent with the date of my first post.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
No, I've been off the boards for awhile. I took a break from posting in here for many months so the time I've spent posting here is not consistent with the date of my first post.
Time did not stop while you were away. 7 months later, you are still arguing about it.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Time did not stop while you were away. 7 months later, you are still arguing about it.
And there isn't anything to argue about. Nobody has said they would make their kid see a doctor they were uncomfortable with. The OP has never given any background information on why he's fixated on this non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting