Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 PM

123 posts, read 82,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Health is necessary. Let them pick the doctor. Provide them with a list of doctors that are covered by your insurance company.

Because doctors do things like check to make sure you are:
-walking properly (no pronation or supination)
-blood pressure, heart rate, lung & respiration function, irregular heart beats
-make sure ear, nose, sinuses, tonsils, and thyroid

My doctor caught my seasonal allergies. I didn't even realize it, I was just coping with the symptoms.

And of course you would have died if you hadn't stopped sneezing......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Our pediatrician will continue to see college students - mainly because they are familiar with their complete health history and many college kids are away from home so seeing the same doctor is offered as a convenience. That said, most kids I know (mine included) reached a point where they felt awkward in the pediatrician's office and we changed to family practice. Not a big deal.

Why would you feel awkward in a pediatrician's office?

Clearly that person has not matured yet if they are still worried about what others think of them!

Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
OK so Im able to post on this thread, good. Anyway, as I tried to post last night and it didn't go through so I will try again.

From my experience physical exams are mandatory every year for school from grades K-12. Every year a student needs to get an annual physical exam and the school then has to get the paperwork saying the student got the exam. Maybe its different elsewhere, maybe in some places they don't require this but where Im from that's how it was when I was growing up. Also, from my experience college requires a physical exam. Before you start college anywhere in the USA a physical exam is mandatory and it has to be done within six months of starting college although its only required once, you don't have to get a physical every year while attending college like you do with school before college. Again, this is just my experience.

So anyway, in my original post Im talking about if a teenager refuses to see a certain specific doctor, not all doctors period. In particular, a teenager who does not want to see the pediatrician that they've been seeing since infancy. Especially if they're 18 because a pediatrician is not supposed to see people who are 18 and older. At 18 a person might be starting college and they have to get the physical exam required for college but it should not be done by a pediatrician, certainly not if the person is 18 or older. Somebody on this thread mentioned about a teenager not wanting to see a baby doctor, well that's what a pediatrician is, a baby doctor. A doctor for babies and small children. A pediatrician therefore is not qualified to see people who are 18 and older any more than a dentist is qualified to do heart surgery! So, the teenager might say, "Im 18 I will not see a pediatrician." And besides, the pediatrician shouldn't be seeing an 18 year old anyway and any pediatrician who does should be stripped of their medical license and sent to prison on criminal charges! After all, dentists can't do heart surgery and pediatricians can't see people who are 18 and older. There has to be strict guidelines in the medical field that have to be enforced as it is a very serious field.

Besides, a teenager might have certain criteria for what doctors they see. Among that criteria might be that they wont see a pediatrician, especially if they're 18 and older.

lol the entire medical field is not serious.

Any quack can be a doctor. I know more than most doctors do.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
lol the entire medical field is not serious.

Any quack can be a doctor. I know more than most doctors do.
Energy, I do hope you'll come back a read your posts in about 10 years or so when you are an adult. I guarantee, you'll cringe.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Energy, I do hope you'll come back a read your posts in about 10 years or so when you are an adult. I guarantee, you'll cringe.

I'm an adult now and I don't cringe when reading my posts.

And was your post supposed to insult me? I'm proud of what I am.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
I'm an adult now and I don't cringe when reading my posts.

And was your post supposed to insult me? I'm proud of what I am.
Which is...?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Which is...?

My comments, points of view, ideas, etc.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:11 AM

143 posts, read 133,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So do it! What exactly is the issue OP?
So you along with much of the other people on this thread agree with me but there's some parents that don't. There are some parents who have faith in a certain doctor and insist that their child see that doctor, or they think that the parent/child hierarchy includes choosing your children's doctors. Im addressing them.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:29 AM

143 posts, read 133,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Do I really need to point out ALL the nonsensical posts you have made on this thread??

Some are truly hilarious by the way. You know like saying "pediatricians can't see anyone over 18...the law is the law"

Except it isn't a law...isn't even a requirement.....like I said "non sense"

As for "my background" I am a health care provider and have been for over 20 years, I also have college age children....

You don't have to tell us your background because it is all too clear base on your posts here that:

A) You have no medical background whatsoever

B) You have no legal background whatsoever

C) You don't have 18 yo children of your own or know too many if you think the average 18 yo is going to pay for their own routine physicals out of pocket if they have the choice of letting mom and dad pay...
If what you claim is true about being a health care provider than what you say would carry some weight but this is the internet where anybody can claim anything. But, assuming that you really are a health care provider I will say this.

I've never been a doctor or a lawyer but have some common knowledge in those fields. For instance I do know that to work with patients at all you need a medical license. I also know that to get a medical license there are certain requirements. You obviously have to have the proper educational background, you have to have been through medical school, ect. There are other requirements such as not having a history of drug abuse and if you ever are found to be abusing drugs you will get your medical license revoked. Also, this is just common sense, that just because you have a medical license of some sort doesn't mean you can see any patient for any reason and that you can perform any medical procedure. As I pointed out before, a dentist cannot do heart surgery with their dental license which is a type of medical license. You say that dentists aren't physicians well how about dermatologists and eye doctors, they're physicians aren't they? Can they do heart surgery? It is important to have good medical guidelines and for them to be strictly enforced otherwise you can run into big problems. There was a case of people getting hair transplants at a clinic who were suffering complications from the procedure. After further research it turned out it was not doctors but garbage men who were doing the transplants. Garbage men were coming in on their off days to do the transplants and the doctors were in the back room counting the money. That's the kind of stuff that happens when medical guidelines aren't enforced.

I don't have any 18 yo children but I've been 18. At 18 I certainly made enough money to afford a routine physical from a doctor. An 18 yo might for whatever reason decide to pay for their own physical even if they have the option of mom and dad paying, maybe the 18 yo doesn't want to see the doctor that their mom and dad are sending them to and therefore wants to choose their own doctor that they pay for themselves. For me to see a doctor, I've got standards. I've got standards the doctor has to meet and I set those standards because Im the one seeing the doctor. After all I don't and never have chosen which doctors my mom and dad see or have set standards for them as to which doctors they see would have to meet, they've always made those choices themselves. Therefore I choose which doctors I see and the standards they have to meet, especially if I choose to exercise the option of paying for it.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
If what you claim is true about being a health care provider than what you say would carry some weight but this is the internet where anybody can claim anything. But, assuming that you really are a health care provider I will say this.

I've never been a doctor or a lawyer but have some common knowledge in those fields. For instance I do know that to work with patients at all you need a medical license. I also know that to get a medical license there are certain requirements. You obviously have to have the proper educational background, you have to have been through medical school, ect. There are other requirements such as not having a history of drug abuse and if you ever are found to be abusing drugs you will get your medical license revoked. Also, this is just common sense, that just because you have a medical license of some sort doesn't mean you can see any patient for any reason and that you can perform any medical procedure. As I pointed out before, a dentist cannot do heart surgery with their dental license which is a type of medical license. You say that dentists aren't physicians well how about dermatologists and eye doctors, they're physicians aren't they? Can they do heart surgery? It is important to have good medical guidelines and for them to be strictly enforced otherwise you can run into big problems. There was a case of people getting hair transplants at a clinic who were suffering complications from the procedure. After further research it turned out it was not doctors but garbage men who were doing the transplants. Garbage men were coming in on their off days to do the transplants and the doctors were in the back room counting the money. That's the kind of stuff that happens when medical guidelines aren't enforced.

I don't have any 18 yo children but I've been 18. At 18 I certainly made enough money to afford a routine physical from a doctor. An 18 yo might for whatever reason decide to pay for their own physical even if they have the option of mom and dad paying, maybe the 18 yo doesn't want to see the doctor that their mom and dad are sending them to and therefore wants to choose their own doctor that they pay for themselves. For me to see a doctor, I've got standards. I've got standards the doctor has to meet and I set those standards because Im the one seeing the doctor. After all I don't and never have chosen which doctors my mom and dad see or have set standards for them as to which doctors they see would have to meet, they've always made those choices themselves. Therefore I choose which doctors I see and the standards they have to meet, especially if I choose to exercise the option of paying for it.
Untrue, as I explained earlier.
Dentists have a different license.
If they have an "MD" license, yes. Some eye doctors are optometrists, with a different license.
Legally, any MD can.

Most 18 year olds wouldn't even know how to go about finding a doctor. I've raised two to well past that age now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting