Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 10:32 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,820,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Y'all don't know about that Alamo Drafthouse huh. Pure movie-going heaven, only a matter of time before Chicago gets some.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema : Select your Location

Looks like fun but we have something similar out in the burbs. Chicago has everything your heart desires, including crying babies in movie theaters. Well okay so there was this little girl in one of the Harry Potter movies (yes I loved them, don't make me come over there. ) Half way through the movie she says loud enough for the whole theater to hear "This movie is stupid." The whole theater erupted in laughter. So maybe just this once having a small child around was worth the laugh. Just this once though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:02 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I think AnonChick was being sarcastic...

However, I do wonder what happened to things like coloring, which makes no noise.
Oops, sorry AnonChick

Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,261,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Sorry, Mom, Vito is too young to be at the movie theater.
I agree. It is not about his illness, it is about the age. He's 2....I didn't take my toddlers to inside movies either, because toddlers do disturb folks in movie theaters.

I also raised a disabled child. I used to readily explain his loud breathing caused by his deformed trachea, it was soft and flopped when he breathed causing a very unusal loud raspy sound called "strider"

I usually chose to explain to anyone around us whenever they got that "look" on their face.

I choose age appropriate family activities.....except for church or school activities for his siblings, we mostly attended noisy kid events, or parks and such....so his strider noise didn't make him so conspicuous.

It certainly could have been handled better by the movie goer......The man could have gone to the front counter and complained. Then the usher would have walked quietly to the disturbance, and asked quietly for the Mom to make an adjustment. That is what the usher is for

I'm sympathetic to the mom...But, As a parent of a disabled child, you really have to pick your battle grounds and try to sit your child up for success as much as possible.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,294,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I think AnonChick was being sarcastic...

However, I do wonder what happened to things like coloring, which makes no noise.
Yes AnonChick was being sarcastic!

On a completely different topic: People who don't get sarcasm are a mystery to me.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:22 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

On a completely different topic: People who don't get sarcasm are a mystery to me.
It's less apparent when it aligns with serious posts already made on the same topic.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What I'm wondering is, in a dark theater how does she know the man was directing his comment at her and not some other parent?
Good point.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Tomorrowland is the only Disney movie playing at that theater. It is rated PG and here is some info from the IMDB Parent's Guide:

Violence & Gore

Several human-like androids are decapitated and disabled violently.

An incinerated, yet lifelike decapitated human android head is shown.

Several humans are killed by ray guns that cause them to disintegrate.

A prolonged beating of male android with a baseball bat.

A little android girl is hit by a speeding car.

Profanity

Six uses of "hell", two uses of "damn", two incomplete uses of "son of a b....", and one use of "****".
Wow...is a nine year old allowed at that type movie, much less a 20 mth old? Seriously.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,462,001 times
A movie theater near me does a nine am showing on weekends advertised as Toddler/Infants welcomed and charges half price.

When little kids movies come out folks with ill behaved kids, special needs kids, infants, screaming babies can all attend. It is a multiplex and only the one theater is open. So kids have full access to lobby and bathrooms and can run around in lobby and not bother folk.

That way later in day when folks are paying full price to enjoy a movie they can actually enjoy the movie.

I actually went there once. I saw Shreck II way back. Two kids oldest was four. They even had discounted snacks and drinks. I thought it was a win win for theater. Doing a showing at a time no one goes to movies, giving parents with little kids a break on admission and at later showings much less screaming kids.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:00 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,277,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Wow...is a nine year old allowed at that type movie, much less a 20 mth old? Seriously.
Agreed. I think some feel that a Disney movie gives them carte Blanche to bring any kid of any age to the movie. It's a matinee, it's Disney! Therefore it is for children of any age. Could you imagine bringing a giggling toddler to a movie like Saving Mr. Banks? Shudders.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,828,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

I was sure the three smiley faces on the end of my post was a dead give-away.

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting